69 replies to this topic

#31 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted June 19, 2013 - 07:53 PM

Just be careful! Fly fishermen are very prone to collecting equipment.

One more thing Gerald, be sure you are equiped to share pictures with us. :thumbs:

More than thatFly fishing evolves into buying a fly tying vice and a few bobbins, thread and stuff not to mention books.
But fly tying itself is a good hobby that can be done on those long winter nights that are too miserable to be outside.
  • oldedeeres said thank you

#32 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,739 Thanks
  • 8,913 posts

Posted June 19, 2013 - 08:01 PM

Yeah, 'sitting on the ice' ------not so much part of the program.

Building a fishhouse is a blast.

FH_viking_ext1.jpg

grandcastle8x24int.jpg

• daytime dave, Cvans, Bmerf and 1 other said thanks

#33 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • Member No: 10410
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted June 19, 2013 - 10:29 PM

Just be careful! Fly fishermen are very prone to collecting equipment.

One more thing Gerald, be sure you are equiped to share pictures with us. :thumbs:

I dont mind getting into a few extras once the hobby shows i enjoy it.. and pictures.. yes..

It certainly is one.  I have tried learning it over the years and I need lots more practice.

Go to a bait and tackle shop, if you have one in the area.  Tell them generally what you are looking for and let them set you up.  They will have cheap stuff and good stuff more than likely.  They usually know all the spots around too.  Become a repeat customer and you will get more than merchandise from them.  The more the shop looks like Magoo's closet, the better it is in my experience.

Good luck

I will make sure i enjoy fishing before i jump into fly fishing..

More than thatFly fishing evolves into buying a fly tying vice and a few bobbins, thread and stuff not to mention books.
But fly tying itself is a good hobby that can be done on those long winter nights that are too miserable to be outside.

Do these books have good pictures.. I'm always looking for a winter hobby.. Winters seem to drag on up here...

Yeah, 'sitting on the ice' ------not so much part of the program.

Building a fishhouse is a blast.

FH_viking_ext1.jpg

grandcastle8x24int.jpg

That would be a two for one deal.. Other then fishing.. It would be set up for three bird dogs also.. Gotta love bird hunting over dogs...

#34 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,869 Thanks
  • 3,198 posts

Posted June 20, 2013 - 03:03 AM

" The Gods do not subtract from the span of man's years the time spent in fishing"  ---  Priceless !

• Team_Green said thank you

#35 motobreeder OFFLINE  

motobreeder

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3989
  • 425 Thanks
  • 611 posts

Posted June 20, 2013 - 06:59 AM

Folks are talking about two different sports - fishing and catching.

I know they are different.  I'm OK at fishing, but not so good at catching.  ;)

For basic fishing, nothing beats: hook, line and sinker.  Just need a big glob of worm on the hook and you're good to go.

Also - get some swivels (don't cheap out on this) and a variety pack of bobbers.  For father and young son fishing, nothing beats watching the bobber start bobbing around, then take off.

A cheap way to keep things from tangling is a swivel.  Get good quality ones.  The cheap ones won't turn under tension or will open up under load.

There are different types and qualities of line including multi and mono filament lines.  I bought an expensive multi-stranded line from Bass Pro, but after years on the spool, it hasn't turned into a slinky.  I was given a cheap spool of mono-filament that would break if I tugged on the line.  Find out how to tie on the hook/lure.  Different types of lines require different types of knots.

Check the rules and regulations for your area.  Do you need a fishing license?  Which species are in season?

#36 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted June 20, 2013 - 07:59 AM

I dont mind getting into a few extras once the hobby shows i enjoy it.. and pictures.. yes..

I will make sure i enjoy fishing before i jump into fly fishing..

Do these books have good pictures.. I'm always looking for a winter hobby.. Winters seem to drag on up here...

That would be a two for one deal.. Other then fishing.. It would be set up for three bird dogs also.. Gotta love bird hunting over dogs...

Yes the Books give detailed pictures and instructions on tying techniques. And there are websites on the net that do the same. . Again I take issue with the arguement that making your own saves money.

I found just like loading ammo for my rifles, any savings was eaten up by shooting more.

But there is a special Grin  on your face when you catch fish on a fly or lure you made yourself.

That makes it worth while.

I have not tied for a few years, since I moved.  But still have the equipment and intend to start again.

I' will try to put together a list of web sites I frequent .

Edited by JD DANNELS, June 20, 2013 - 08:10 AM.

#37 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted June 20, 2013 - 09:07 AM

Yes the Books give detailed pictures and instructions on tying techniques. And there are websites on the net that do the same. . Again I take issue with the arguement that making your own saves money.

I found just like loading ammo for my rifles, any savings was eaten up by shooting more.

But there is a special Grin  on your face when you catch fish on a fly or lure you made yourself.

That makes it worth while.

I have not tied for a few years, since I moved.  But still have the equipment and intend to start again.

I' will try to put together a list of web sites I frequent .

I have yet to find a hobby that puts food on my table that actually saves me money.. Fuel to go fishing, equipment.. BUT to me.. Its "are you having fun" 

• LilysDad said thank you

#38 willy OFFLINE  

willy

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8423
  • 73 Thanks
  • 86 posts

Posted June 20, 2013 - 07:49 PM

It is always a good time to talk to your kids and see what's up . I still fish with my 28 & 32 year old daughters

#39 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted June 23, 2013 - 09:15 PM

It is always a good time to talk to your kids and see what's up . I still fish with my 28 & 32 year old daughters

my son is 7 ... Months old...  :smilewink:

#40 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,652 Thanks
  • 7,677 posts

Posted June 24, 2013 - 07:08 AM

If you look around, I think they make Mickey Mouse bobbers!

#41 Chopperhed OFFLINE  

Chopperhed
  • Member No: 20120
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts

Posted January 19, 2014 - 04:33 PM

TG have you tried Coal Lake near Wetaskiwin, I used to pull nice perch out of there, also pulled a lot of pike out of it too.

I caught a few Pike at Tillicum beach, on Dried Meat Lake south of Camrose.

Both lakes are small boat friendly.

I like Coal, because I can leave work, with boat in tow, and be on the water in 45 minutes.

If I`m going for a longer stretch, I head toward Edson and Peers area.

I avoid going too far south to avoid Tornado alley.
  • Team_Green and oldedeeres have said thanks

#42 Appalachian OFFLINE  

Appalachian
  • Member No: 50647
  • 66 Thanks
  • 43 posts

Posted January 19, 2014 - 04:44 PM

Find a guy who is into fishing, the chances are he'll have a bunch of good used equipment he doesn't even use. Generally, I upgrade every few years, my old stuff is still light years better than the new cheap stuff is.

Learn to tie a palmar knot, don't forget to wet the line. If not, the friction will severely weaken your line. Palomar knots are one of the few that work on braided line too, so if you decide to try it, you'll be ready. Also, get lots of good needle nose pliers, you will need them
  • Team_Green and oldedeeres have said thanks

#43 grnspot110 ONLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,395 posts

Posted January 19, 2014 - 05:04 PM

Yeah , When I hear those stories I think of my uncle Cloyd Lennox. His forearm on the right arm was scarred all the way up it by noodling/hand fishing catfish. If he had not tied a rope to a fence post and around his waist so his brother could pull him out of the Des Moines River he would never have survived .

If I'd tried that, my brother would'a probably cut the rope! ~~ Lowell
  • Cvans and oldedeeres have said thanks

#44 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted January 26, 2014 - 01:45 AM

TG have you tried Coal Lake near Wetaskiwin, I used to pull nice perch out of there, also pulled a lot of pike out of it too.I caught a few Pike at Tillicum beach, on Dried Meat Lake south of Camrose.Both lakes are small boat friendly.I like Coal, because I can leave work, with boat in tow, and be on the water in 45 minutes.If I`m going for a longer stretch, I head toward Edson and Peers area.I avoid going too far south to avoid Tornado alley.

Thanks for the heads up on coal lake. I am 15 minutes from there.
  • Chopperhed said thank you

#45 Chopperhed OFFLINE  

Chopperhed
  • Member No: 20120
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts

Posted January 26, 2014 - 11:59 AM

Thanks for the heads up on coal lake. I am 15 minutes from there.

Just have to watch the wind sometimes.

The valley tends to funnel wind, depending on the direction