• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#16 larryd OFFLINE  

larryd
  • Member No: 15865
  • 724 Thanks
  • 1,058 posts

Posted June 19, 2013 - 07:58 AM

I'm not sticking my hand in something I can't see.

larryd

• Amigatec and Team_Green have said thanks

#17 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted June 19, 2013 - 08:47 AM

As has been said it can be as inexpensive or expensive as you make it.  I will take issue with the idea it saves money on groceries.

If I had the money I have spent on tackle over the last 40 yrs, I could buy more fish than I could eat the rest of my life.

That being said, I cherish the momories of the time spent fishing with my children. And I have raised one Outdoorsman who's skills greatly exceed my own. My son is fishing, Hunting or trapping every spare moment.

He is alway looking for the trophy Bass or Catfish, Deer,Waterfowl ,Beaver or Coyote .

I on the otherhand am more interested in Pan Fishing, and Crappie, Bluegill and other Sunfish are my quarry.

And given a choice will use a Fly Rod.

Like any hobby it is what you make of it. Have Fun, if it becomes work it's not fun in my opinion.

Edited by JD DANNELS, June 19, 2013 - 08:49 AM.

• Team_Green and larryd have said thanks

#18 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted June 19, 2013 - 08:53 AM

You don't need all that just a good strong arm and a catfish hole. Just reach into the hole grab a #50 catfish by the mouth and drag him out of the hole.

We just had a guy drown in OKC because he noodled the wrong catfish.

http://www.newson6.c...oklahoma-county

Yeah , When I hear those stories I think of my uncle Cloyd Lennox. His forearm on the right arm was scarred all the way up it by noodling/hand fishing catfish. If he had not tied a rope to a fence post and around his waist so his brother could pull him out of the Des Moines River he would never have survived .
  • larryd said thank you

#19 LarryB OFFLINE  

LarryB
  • Member No: 28089
  • 16 Thanks
  • 14 posts

Posted June 19, 2013 - 09:04 AM

Samiches!! And NOT fish samiches!!  :dancingbanana:  Banana and Bacon sandwiches!!  :rocker2:

Not realy into fishing any more, but the banana and bacon sandwiches sound worth trying.  Sounds easy enough to make. To  keep me from having to eat all that crispy bacon until I find success......

Sounds like some good down home cookin to me.  This fellow from Chedderhead land is asking you for you recipe.

Thank you in advance!

• larryd said thank you

#20 CADplans OFFLINE  

CADplans
  • Member No: 35311
  • 219 Thanks
  • 213 posts

Posted June 19, 2013 - 09:20 AM

Not realy into fishing any more, but the banana and bacon sandwiches sound worth trying.  Sounds easy enough to make. To  keep me from having to eat all that crispy bacon until I find success......

Sounds like some good down home cookin to me.  This fellow from Chedderhead land is asking you for you recipe.

Thank you in advance!

I forgot the Peanut Butter!!

https://en.wikipedia..._bacon_sandwich

• Team_Green, larryd and LarryB have said thanks

#21 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • Member No: 10410
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted June 19, 2013 - 09:36 AM

fishing can be a great relaxing hobby and help you save on your groceries too, leaving you extra $$$ for your gts, check out garage sales for stuff, some people think just because its old its no good. i got a 14 fiberglass boat with trailer, 6 hp johnson and a 20 hp johnson with a bunch of other stuff $200, at another sale i found a $200 custom 9 foot rod and a $125 reel for $8. we have been garage saling for a few years now and i have about 20 rod reel combos and possibly 15 large tackle boxes with stuff, and a lot of the old tackle is quite collectable, i never spent to much, a few dollars here and there, happy fishing

A long lost uncle of mine has offered me his 14 foot aluminum boat for nothing. He bought it to take his kids fishing, They have all grown up and moved on. I am doing this for a relaxing hobby but mostly for my son.. I am hoping he can add one more thing to his list of out door activities. Yes i have a few years to get decent at it and figure out the good lakes in the area.. 

• larryd said thank you

#22 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted June 19, 2013 - 09:40 AM

It can be done cheaply, but "it ain't easy!" Fishing gear can be just about as addictive as GT's, lol. Where do you plan on going? We've tried fishing in Alberta, but with not much luck. Tried Wolf Lake many years ago in August, but the algae was wicked. May I suggest Meadow Lake Park? Walleye, perch, Jack, and trout if you're so inclined. Good camping too, and not too far from home base. We liked the campground at Mistohay Lake. For us, fishing ranks right up there with eating and breathing, so don't get me started!! Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Well we are supposed to be moving to BC... Down near Vernon area. So it's all the mountain lakes. I will try Alberta lakes...

• larryd said thank you

#23 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • Member No: 8613
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 2,434 posts

Posted June 19, 2013 - 09:47 AM

i find fishing very relaxing i fish off my aunt and uncles dock at there house on the lake sit down feet in the water cold beer next to me.2 things to remember one can never have too much tackle and "a bad day fishing is better then a good day at work" and i still go by that saying. this summer im gonna try fly fishing for 2 reason its supposed to be fun and relaxing so time will tell. good luck to you tg and im sure the boy will love the time spent fishing with you.

#24 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted June 19, 2013 - 10:05 AM

Luckily, you asked this question on a GT forum. A true fisherman would be coming after you with a gun for calling fishing a hobby!!  :oh_shucks:

My sister owned a bass fishing marina on the Chickahominy River. 75 or so guys showed up every weekend, each with $100K of equipment.

It amazed me at the money spent! 

Now, to me, fishing is a hobby, specifically, it is a hole in the water that you throw money into.  :bigrofl:

I guess I feel like that, because I do not like to eat fish that I can catch!

A true fisherman wouldn't have the guns that would scare me to come after this hunter gatherer   :smilewink:  .. Everything is a hobby other then work.. It just depends on how much money we spend on our hobby...

Fish from shore: cheap.

Fish from boat: not so cheap.

Fish on ice: must have a high tolerance.

Well Mr Cat... I refuse to sit on ice for fish.. When its that cold i will be in front of my wood stove or in the shop doing something... Like installing a two year old starter...   :smilewink:  Right JS... lol

I buy my fish from the store. That way I don't have to drown a bunch of worms, or deal with snakes.

They come in packages and are already cleaned and cut into potions. LOL

I'm getting into this so i can have another outdoor hobby to share with my son...  :big_hug:

What do you need besides tackle? Beer???

sammiches..  but i do like how you think Rich  :thumbs:

Fishing is fun and relaxing if you will let it be. I prefer catfish and crappie .Doesn't take much . A cane pole will work for either but I prefer a rod and reel for cats Either with or without a boat. My brother on the other hand is big time bass fisherman , $40,000 truck and a $50,000 boat and several $5 or $6 hundred dollar reels and rods plus all the hundreds of dollars in tackle. I forgot about the clothes and of course all the high $$$$$$$$$ in gas ( hopped up SUZY Q ) to get to the honey holes fast. I'm sure I forgot something .

larryd

My truck is a 1980 GMC truck and a 1965 Barracuda.. My wife and i are getting back to basics.. I no longer have a need for the new big fancy truck.. I used to mile out trucks in the oilfield. No longer.. We will be 10 miles from most of the lakes..  

Samiches!! And NOT fish samiches!!  :dancingbanana:  Banana and Bacon sandwiches!!  :rocker2:

:thumbs: 

For every day you fish, you live a day longer. I expect to live to be 120.

I hope to have many days with my family.. My wife Is a out door gal also..  :thumbs:

• larryd and CADplans have said thanks

#25 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted June 19, 2013 - 10:07 AM

i find fishing very relaxing i fish off my aunt and uncles dock at there house on the lake sit down feet in the water cold beer next to me.2 things to remember one can never have too much tackle and "a bad day fishing is better then a good day at work" and i still go by that saying. this summer im gonna try fly fishing for 2 reason its supposed to be fun and relaxing so time will tell. good luck to you tg and im sure the boy will love the time spent fishing with you.

Both of his Grandpas love i mean LOVE fishing.. This could turn into a boys thing.. Who knows.. Fly fishing looks like a work of art... 

• backwoods and larryd have said thanks

#26 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • Member No: 8613
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 2,434 posts

Posted June 19, 2013 - 10:24 AM

i messed around with the fly rod in the back yard after i got it had good luck caught a couple leaves lol just have to buy a few flys then im headed to the lake and a couple ponds

• larryd said thank you

#27 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted June 19, 2013 - 11:37 AM

Thank you in advance!

Thank you in advance!

Your being from Chedderhead land and all. I can think of no reason a thin slice of Sharp White Chedder cheese would not add to the culinary delight.

• larryd, LarryB and CADplans have said thanks

#28 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted June 19, 2013 - 11:39 AM

i messed around with the fly rod in the back yard after i got it had good luck caught a couple leaves lol just have to buy a few flys then im headed to the lake and a couple ponds

Bailey is just now getting into setting up a flyrod for Bass fishing. Like I told him, it adds another arrow to your quiver.

#29 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,687 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted June 19, 2013 - 06:46 PM

Just be careful! Fly fishermen are very prone to collecting equipment.

One more thing Gerald, be sure you are equiped to share pictures with us. :thumbs:

• Team_Green said thank you

#30 daytime dave ONLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted June 19, 2013 - 06:57 PM

Fly fishing looks like a work of art... 

It certainly is one.  I have tried learning it over the years and I need lots more practice.

Go to a bait and tackle shop, if you have one in the area.  Tell them generally what you are looking for and let them set you up.  They will have cheap stuff and good stuff more than likely.  They usually know all the spots around too.  Become a repeat customer and you will get more than merchandise from them.  The more the shop looks like Magoo's closet, the better it is in my experience.

Good luck

• Team_Green said thank you