#1 dropped82 ONLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 9923
  • 1,397 Thanks
  • 1,228 posts

Posted June 18, 2013 - 08:18 PM

Since I've been at my FIL 1100 miles away and playing in his shop, we got on the subject of heat sources for bending and whatever else. Although I have never used one I brought up a carbon torch. I have a oxygen/acetylene setup but haven't filled the tanks for quite some time and am a little scared at the prove nowadays. My FIL is a retired millwright (43 years) and has me converted to using a arc (stick) welder so much I have no intentions on ever getting a wire feed. I really like the versatility that it has over a wire feed. Which brings me to the carbon torch. Anyone have any experience? It would be cheaper to use than gas. Just was looking for some old timers input since a lot of newer welders haven't a clue what it is.

Eric

Sent from my XT897 using Tapatalk 2

• JRJ said thank you

#2 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted June 18, 2013 - 08:27 PM

I think I qualify as a "newer welder" and I know exactly what it is! I am actually in the process of kinda sorta tring to trade for one. I do not really want it for practical use, I want it more for the cool factor! I am not sure exactly how much the carbon electrodes cost, and I am not sure how long they last. I think it probably would be a little cheaper then OA, but I think I will stay with the OA for most jobs.
  • dropped82 said thank you

#3 JRJ OFFLINE  

JRJ
  • Member No: 16399
  • 876 Thanks
  • 1,170 posts

Posted June 18, 2013 - 08:29 PM

I had used what I will call carbon arch rod brazing, use the carbon rod in the rod holder and a brass rod as you filler rod, we used it for joining galvanized  metal. When using it, it was best to keep a fine point on the carbon rod. I don't know if this is what you were referring to.

Dick

#4 dropped82 ONLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,397 Thanks
  • 1,228 posts

Posted June 18, 2013 - 08:30 PM

Well I've read that the copper coated electrodes can be bought for around .17 a piece when bought in bulk. That's not bad and I'm also really considering investing in one. They will run on minimum amps up to a max of around 105. I'm understanding that 105 is way more than anything you'll ever need. It can produce a heat about 1000° hotter than OA. If it could be easily controlled could also be used to weld similar to a torch. I still have a ton of torch rods and don't want to see them go to waist.

Eric

#5 dropped82 ONLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,397 Thanks
  • 1,228 posts

Posted June 18, 2013 - 08:35 PM

I had used what I will call carbon arch rod brazing, use the carbon rod in the rod holder and a brass rod as you filler rod, we used it for joining galvanized metal. When using it, it was best to keep a fine point on the carbon rod. I don't know if this is what you were referring to.

Dick

You actually don't use the piece being welded or heated as the connection in the circuit as with traditional welding. The pos. and neg. electrodes are in one handheld unit. You move a lever or turn a nob to bring them closer in order to strike the arc and create the "flame". No need to ground the part being worked on. There is one on Ebay right now that ends tomorrow. If it stays cheap enough I may get it and test it when I get home.

Eric

Eric

#6 CADplans OFFLINE  

CADplans
  • Member No: 35311
  • 219 Thanks
  • 213 posts

Posted June 18, 2013 - 08:58 PM

My BIL had one in the 1950's, compared to O-A, the carbon arc torch is  :bigrofl:

It is just a high energy heat source, a low cost alternative to O-A. You can not direct the energy.

The big advantage of O-A is the protection offered by the flame, kinda like flux to brazing, or the coating on arc welding rods.

The carbon arc torch offers no such protection, the metal oxidizes QUICKLY, and the carbon burns out of steel, leaving you with brittle iron.

:oh_shucks:

• Alc and dropped82 have said thanks

#7 Jack ONLINE  

Jack
  • Member No: 9304
  • 1,127 Thanks
  • 771 posts

Posted June 18, 2013 - 11:17 PM

I bought one of those about 30 years ago and I have never used it.  

#8 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,480 Thanks
  • 5,011 posts

Posted June 18, 2013 - 11:27 PM

The last few years I've been using only a carbon arc torch for heating. To tell you the truth I like it so much that I haven't refilled my tanks. They have been setting in the corner empty for a long time. Pick up an old welding book from back in the 50's and there will be plenty of info on using the carbon arc. I imagine that a web search would work well also. 

As I recall they make a pretty decent bug zapper also.  :smilewink:

• Alc and dropped82 have said thanks

#9 ol' stonebreaker ONLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,304 Thanks
  • 973 posts

Posted June 19, 2013 - 10:59 PM

The only kind of carbon arc I've used is an "air arc". Used w/ compressed air for gouging out iron, stainless, manganese or any metal an O/A torch won't cut. I'll still stick w/ my O/A setup for my hobby use. As already said, it's difficult to control the heat w/ a carbon torch.

Mike