• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 larryd OFFLINE  

larryd
  • Member No: 15865
  • 724 Thanks
  • 1,058 posts

Posted June 18, 2013 - 12:49 PM

No. 1 I believe the seal which I think is the trunion seal on my hydro has started leaking . Has anyone replaced this while unit is still in tractor and if so how hard is it to do?

No.2 My charging system doesn't seem to be working either . If the stator test bad can it be replaced without pulling the engine again?

No.3 Has anyone ever tried to put spindle bushings in a jd 314 front axle? My left side is beginning to show some play.

I like my tractor but it always seems to be something

larryd

Edited by larryd, June 18, 2013 - 12:50 PM.

• JRJ said thank you

#2 Guest_gravely-power_*

Guest_gravely-power_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted June 18, 2013 - 01:11 PM

No. 1 I believe the seal which I think is the trunion seal on my hydro has started leaking . Has anyone replaced this while unit is still in tractor and if so how hard is it to do?

No.2 My charging system doesn't seem to be working either . If the stator test bad can it be replaced without pulling the engine again?

No.3 Has anyone ever tried to put spindle bushings in a jd 314 front axle? My left side is beginning to show some play.

I like my tractor but it always seems to be something

larryd

Old tractors are just like girl friends. They require a lot of attention and maintenance.

• twostep and larryd have said thanks

#3 Trav1s OFFLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,602 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted June 18, 2013 - 01:24 PM

As for 1 - Do you have a service manual?  

As for 2 - See one but I will check the manual on this for you.

As for 3 -  Makes good sense to me.  I would guess a local machine shop could help with that.

The truth is repairs are part of an older machine.  I would rather repair an older machine that I can afford then do with the new "throw away" models that would be in my budget.  

• twostep and larryd have said thanks

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 18, 2013 - 03:17 PM

Larry, sorry to hear about your issues on the 314. About the leak, make sure your vent on the hydro is functional. If the hydro pressurizes as it heats up it will force fluid out any weak seal.

No charging. - Checking the stator is easy. You should have a low resistance between the windings. The outside 2 contacts on the connector that goes on the regulator are the stator winding. The center contact on the regulator goes through the ignition switch to the battery. So, another thing to check is the ignition switch itself. If you don't have a good connection in the switch then the battery will not charge properly. Because there are fairly large currents involved you need to make sure that you have good connections throughout the circuit, including the chassis of the regulator to the engine chassis and back to the battery - terminal. You could have a bad regulator as well.  I'm not avoiding your question but trying to prevent you having to pull the engine if the stator is not the problem. You will have to pull the engine to get the stator out from behind the flywheel. 

I had bushings added to my 317 front axle. it was expensive for the machine shop work. I had 1-1/8 od x 1 id x 1-1/4 long bushings installed. You might look at measuring up the spindles and axle to see where the wear is. A bit of wear is not a problem. Used spindles or axles are usually available from some of our site sponsors. 

Good luck getting it sorted out. 

• larryd said thank you

#5 larryd OFFLINE  

larryd
  • 724 Thanks
  • 1,058 posts

Posted June 18, 2013 - 06:19 PM

You gentlemen are  right about old tractors. I'm just going to  tackle 1 thing at a time as I can 1,2,3

larryd

• Delmar said thank you

#6 Trav1s OFFLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• 2,602 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted June 18, 2013 - 08:44 PM

If you need anything from the service manual let me know.

• larryd said thank you

#7 larryd OFFLINE  

larryd
  • 724 Thanks
  • 1,058 posts

Posted June 19, 2013 - 06:21 AM

Thanks Travis, As far as the seal leaking the manual I have a cd of doesn't say if the seal can be replaced while hydro is in tractor. I hate oil leaks but I might wait till mowing season is over if hydro has to come out.

Edited by larryd, June 19, 2013 - 06:21 AM.

• Trav1s said thank you

#8 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted June 19, 2013 - 09:04 AM

I hate oil leaks but I might wait till mowing season is over if hydro has to come out.

If you look at it from a cost/value standpoint, sometimes leaks are not worth repairing... The rear main on my Jeep leaks a little but the quart that I have to add every 40-50 hours of run time does not add up to the trouble it would be to replace the seal.

A bit of wear is not a problem. 

Same here... a little slop is not going to hurt. Might cost more than it's worth to repair. Slop-free steering is nice though.

• larryd and JRJ have said thanks

#9 Trav1s OFFLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• 2,602 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted June 19, 2013 - 10:22 AM

Thanks Travis, As far as the seal leaking the manual I have a cd of doesn't say if the seal can be replaced while hydro is in tractor. I hate oil leaks but I might wait till mowing season is over if hydro has to come out.

I will check the paper copy at lunch for you.

• larryd and JRJ have said thanks

#10 Trav1s OFFLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• 2,602 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted June 24, 2013 - 01:19 PM

This might help.  If you need more I can check in more detail

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg

Edited by Trav1s, June 24, 2013 - 01:20 PM.