8 replies to this topic

#1 Marty'70 OFFLINE  

Marty'70

I didn't do it! Unless you have paperwork to back it up

• Member No: 72105
  • 730 Thanks
  • 633 posts

Posted June 17, 2013 - 08:43 PM

O k first of all sorry for no pics, but was at a yard sale and phone was dead.. Now for my Question. I found a suburban at a yard sale has original paint if fair to good condition. has the deck (heavy SOB) and a snow blade with it. It starts right up and runs fine. All gears good. Didn't run it long because the flywheel cover was missing , and smoked pretty bad. I believe it had a tecumseh on it but may be wrong.. I'm afraid of the engine with belching tons of blue smoke and wonder if it was over heated from no air flow.... he wants 400.00    what to do what to do??? How hard is it to find Tec parts for a rebuild if it needs it?

#2 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted June 17, 2013 - 09:03 PM

Well you don't see them come up often and the price doesn't sound bad ( 300 would be better).

The Tecumseh is another story, some the parts are fairly available ( might take a little searching), other Tec engines the parts are hard to find especially rebuild parts like piston and crank. And being the shroud is MIA it would be hard to tell what engine it is.Then again if it just needs rings those can be found easily.

But if it where me. and the GT was in decent condition and I really liked it, then I would go for it. You could always find another engine.

• Marty'70 said thank you

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,269 Thanks
  • 28,607 posts

Posted June 17, 2013 - 09:30 PM

I would think it is either a replaced engine, a briggs, or not a 59.

Not positive, but I think the Sears back then were mostly Briggs powered.

As for $, it's smoking. And if bad, it could be stuck rings... Or it could be a boat anchor.
I always assume the worst reasonable expectation and work backwards from there.

#4 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted June 18, 2013 - 12:19 AM

well lets start at the beginning. there is a tag on the left side of the gear case with a model number. it should read 917.60601 or 602, if its truely a 1959 tractor. There wont be a tec engine found on any David Bradley anything of this vintage. The only correct engine for it is a 143302 briggs. $400 isnt really high if the tractor is complete and running, anything less you start knocking down the price. Incorrect engine and it would be about half.

• MH81 and Marty'70 have said thanks

#5 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted June 18, 2013 - 09:58 AM

Yep. shoud be a Briggs and the deck and blade if original should fetch a decent price. I have a '64 with a square nose and those older round noses are just too cool and so simple. I would like to have one if the deal was right. Cheaper is always good, but $400 isn't super bad. I would throw a lower price due to smoking and see what you get back.

#6 Marty'70 OFFLINE  

Marty'70

• 730 Thanks
  • 633 posts

Posted June 18, 2013 - 10:38 AM

ok after reading something Tahoe said i got to looking at pictures and found out the guy was confused at the year.. he said 59 but i see he must have meant 69. does this change anything on price and condition?

#7 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted June 18, 2013 - 11:05 AM

If it's a 69 and smokes, I would offer $200-250. Parts for the Tecumsehs are getting hard to find, pistons and rings maybe a scavenger hunt.

#8 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted June 18, 2013 - 11:51 AM

yes that would make all the diff to me. i wouldnt walk across the road to look at a smoking 69 tractor. Too easy to finda good running Roper era machine for a lot less than $400.

#9 Marty'70 OFFLINE  

Marty'70

• 730 Thanks
  • 633 posts

Posted June 18, 2013 - 12:24 PM

If it's a 69 and smokes, I would offer $200-250. Parts for the Tecumsehs are getting hard to find, pistons and rings maybe a scavenger hunt.

kinda to the price i was thinking (maybe even lower) because of the engine problems. Thanks to all who responded with all the awesome help. As always you gt guys are there for someone in need! :smiley-score010: