• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted June 17, 2013 - 01:18 PM

Got this little Pond tractor complete with a sickel mower at last weekends Fulton Co Indiana show. The engines dates to dec of 1952, so i dont know if thats going to be a late 52 model or an early 53 one.  probally going to restore this later on this yr, if i find the time.

pond wheelhorse 005.JPG

pond wheelhorse 004.JPG

pond wheelhorse 003.JPG

pond wheelhorse 002.JPG

pond wheelhorse 001.JPG

• Gtractor, MH81, Texas Deere and Horse and 3 others have said thanks

#2 Guest_gravely-power_*

Guest_gravely-power_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted June 17, 2013 - 01:46 PM

Got this little Pond tractor complete with a sickel mower at last weekends Fulton Co Indiana show. The engines dates to dec of 1952, so i dont know if thats going to be a late 52 model or an early 53 one.  probally going to restore this later on this yr, if i find the time.

attachicon.gifpond wheelhorse 005.JPG

attachicon.gifpond wheelhorse 004.JPG

attachicon.gifpond wheelhorse 003.JPG

attachicon.gifpond wheelhorse 002.JPG

attachicon.gifpond wheelhorse 001.JPG

Nice! I and most members here think you should make the time to restore this beauty. Good Luck! :thumbs: :thumbs:

#3 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,781 Thanks
  • 4,302 posts

Posted June 17, 2013 - 03:25 PM

Nice looking Pond mower.

#4 JDBrian ONLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 17, 2013 - 04:21 PM

That will make a great restoration project. I wonder if those are the original tires.  

#5 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted June 17, 2013 - 04:21 PM

Jeff, Way to GO you lucky Duck. :dancingbanana:  I would love to find a Pond Walk a Way some day. I can't wait to see it restored !! :thumbs:

#6 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted June 18, 2013 - 12:37 AM

well i guess i could move it up to the top of the list. Not like i get much done outside the shop, since it rains at least 3 days a week now. I'm pretty sure that everything on this tractor is orginal equipment including the tire, which are shot. There seems to be some part missing from between the handle bars. I think it was a metal plate that had the walk a way sticker on it. Have to look around and see if there is someone with a replacement sticker, or at least knows what the orginal one said on it. The engie has no spark, but thats not much of a hill to climb here. At least it turns freely and i think the sickle would if some good PB blaster was applied to the bar. Looks like the orginal colors were red and black, as that what i'm finding on the parts

Wonder what attchment fit this, or if any of the rider one would work.... like the plow. The hitch looks to be a flat bar of steel. anyone out there know what the early wheelhorse riders hitchs looked like? i think those tractors were a RJ35 or 25 or some such thing. Sorry im really poor at riding tractors other than my old Suburbans.

#7 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,445 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted June 18, 2013 - 05:33 AM

Nice " new"  to you tractor :thumbs:    What size tires do they run on it ? Will they be hard to find ?

#8 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,228 Thanks
  • 28,593 posts

Posted June 18, 2013 - 07:14 AM

Little looking around and found this

So let me get this straight - Harold and Elmer Pond started out building Speedex tractors as "The Pond Tractor Co." They split and harold continued with Speedex and Elmer went on to produce Wheelhorse in Indiana? "

"Actually when they split, they were both using the Pond name... Harold was mad the Elmer started his own company and started calling his company The Pond Garden Tractor Company who sold Speedex tractors, and Elmer called his The Pond Company selling his own Pond tractors which later became the Pond Wheel-Horse and eventually Wheel Horse Products, Inc. Harold also dropped the Pond name and went back to just Speedex.

...One of the telltale signs yours is from the Harold side is the drive lever. It should have Ravenna OH stamped in it...

So, I guess the big Q is, does yours have Ravena OH on it?

EDIT:
Oh, now I see what they mean by drive lever.
Here is a pic from a google search of a Pond (WH)
image.jpg

And here is one of the Pond (Speedex)
image.jpg

Now I see the difference. Sorry Jeff, just got excited for you and started looking for (wrong) info.

#9 Lauber1 ONLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted June 18, 2013 - 11:57 AM

its ok man, it took me 2 days to get the wife to let me drag another tractor home. I told she it went with all my other odd ball models. Lots of confusing stuff out there on these tractors and who built them. Basiclly its all in the clutch lever or rod as it were. if you have an actual handel then its a speedx, if you have a rod with a knob its a Pond/wheelhorse. I see a couple yrs later model used pipe handle bars, my has the flat bar stock ones.

#10 Texas Deere and Horse ONLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted June 18, 2013 - 12:34 PM

Jeff, The photo of the WH. Pond has the same flat bar risers as yours does.  Yours is a Pond Wheel Horse.

#11 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted June 24, 2013 - 12:35 PM

Well i got bored on Sunday so i decided to see what shape the Pond was in. Got it inside and stripped it down, blasted and painted the wheels, took apart the hubs, which were locked up on the axils and clean off a ton of grease and oil built up junk. I did notice that one hub wasnt drilled in the center, so i hope that dont come back to cause us trouble. The engine has no fire and appears to have a valve stuck open, but as luck has it, i have another model 6 sitting around doing nothing, so a little exchange of detail parts and that problem was solved. Working a few hrs in the morning and maybe some after i get home from the real job, i should have a complete and operating tractor in about 2 weeks.

Attached Thumbnails

• 020.JPG
  • 019.JPG
  • 018.JPG
  • 017.JPG
  • 016.JPG

• olcowhand said thank you

#12 Lauber1 ONLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted June 25, 2013 - 01:13 AM

Went out and found a different engine for the Pond this morning. Lets looks at what was wrong with the original model 6.

engine 006.JPG     engine 001.JPG

The engine already didn't have any fire, and a stuck valve, so after I pulled the head and found the mess, and the one in the fan shroud, I decided to get a better one.  I thought I had another model 6 on a DB tractor, but found it to be a model 8. I mulled it over for a while and decided to built a fooler engine. By the naked eye you cant tell the difference between the older model 8 and a model 6. The changes are all internal and mostly amount to the stroke length. So basically I'm going to have a 2 1/2 hp engine instead of a 2hp one, but all the metal and tags fit one to the other. Heres what we are talking about:

engine 002.JPG   engine 005.JPG

The model 8 from a 1951 DB tractor, note the DB style air cleaner, and lack of an engine mounted fuel tank.

engine 004.JPG   engine 003.JPG

This is a 1953 model 6, note the low profile air cleaner, and the fuel tank mount on the head of the engine. All the other sheet metal is the same as an "8". Both engines are air vane governed, but the 6 has a little better throttle plate control, so ill probably trade that  out also. After some cleaning and painting, i'll be the only one to know this tiny engine is not what it appears. 1/2 a hp don't sound like much, but it really is when you only have 2 to work with. I know there is a formula for figuring out the percentage of  gain, but I don't remember how to do it.

• olcowhand, Alc and Texas Deere and Horse have said thanks

#13 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,228 Thanks
  • 28,593 posts

Posted June 25, 2013 - 06:47 AM

Te extra half will make a difference when you decide to use it.

What was in the old engine, Milk?

#14 jbumgarner ONLINE  

jbumgarner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10248
  • 72 Thanks
  • 109 posts

Posted July 10, 2013 - 09:23 PM

Glad to see you taking care of the Pond.  Mine is pictured above with the sulky.  I tore it down a couple years ago and built the sulky from an old gravely that was given to me.  I was lucky mine had the original Clinton engine on it and it runs like a top.  The decal either goes on the flat plate between the handle bars or on the larger round piece between the gear box and pulley depending on what year you have.  When I get home I will look to see who I bought my decal from.  The guy new everything about the little tractor and was a great resource. 

Heres what mine looked like when I picked it up.

WHWalkbehind-1.jpg

and another pic with the sulky

WalkerandSulky2.jpg

#15 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted July 11, 2013 - 01:14 AM

yes I've seen your tractor and read its history at another site. Looks pretty nice.  I plan a sulky of sorts also, but im going a different direction, and i'll post more on that as I get farther along with that part. Right now the tractor its self is almost done, just doing a few little items. I decided to rebuild the engine some, as there was some oil up around the valves, so we will rering it. Should have it back together by the end of the weekend and mounted to the tractor.

The sickle part will take probably 20 or more hours as there are a lot parts in it. So far all I've done is free it up and make sure all the parts would move, and it passed that test.

Still haven't figured out for sure what yr it is. The engine that was on it, appeared in all ways to be original and dated to Dec 1952. I've studied the few sale flyers I could find, and have decided it must be an early 53 model. most picture from that yr show a cast center in the wheels, but this tractor uses the newer clutch system. I cant hardly believe that the unit is a 54, as I don't see them leaving an engine sitting around for 2 yrs before installing it. Maybe if it was a David Bradley, but not a wheel horse.

I would be interested in getting a Pond/wheel horse decal. My tractor don't have any metal plate between the handles, so I wondered if they put those on later machines, after the problem with the handles being weak was discovered.  There might be room for it on the back side of the tube holding the main shaft. I also thought about installing one on the belt guard of the mower unit, as there is a nice big metal plate there.

The color of the tractor and parts was interesting. The wheels were black, as was the engine, the tractor itself was red, but when I went to clean up the lug bolts they were all gray. I also noticed that the belt guard for the sickle is gray. I saw at least one ad sheet, were the rims of the tractor were gray. Sometimes you have to watch ad sheets, as they are often made of artist concepts of what the product is, as told to them, and isn't what was really produced later on.  Be interesting to know how many design changes were made in the walk away tractors.

• MH81 said thank you