- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#16 CADplans OFFLINE  

• Member No: 35311
  • 219 Thanks
  • 213 posts

Posted June 17, 2013 - 07:12 PM

I went to buy a Big Red TroyBilt. I got stuck with a Big Black!!

I believe they only made 200 of them. It came loaded with EVERY option, and a few prototype ideas, like stainless steel pins for the engine to travel up and down on and an hourmeter.

• Amigatec and boyscout862 have said thanks

#17 pharmer OFFLINE  

• Member No: 4250
  • 686 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted June 17, 2013 - 07:12 PM

I have the 8 hp Briggs Horse model. I purchased mine from a family friends estate for $250. He drove from Ct to the factory to purchase it back in 1982. I have all the manuals and the hiller/furrow attachment. For the past 2 years my garden has really improved. I love it.

#18 Oo-v-oO OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 5162
  • 340 Thanks
  • 448 posts

Posted June 23, 2013 - 01:28 PM

If you've never used a Troy-Bilt, you have no idea how nice they really are.  :thumbs:

• boyscout862 and freedhardwoods have said thanks

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,415 Thanks
  • 4,880 posts

Posted June 23, 2013 - 07:24 PM

My dad bought a 6 Hp Horse I new back in '76. He and my sister ran it low on oil tilling garden in '92, broke rod. We replaced rod and I think did re-ring at same time and it is still running. The old Tecumseh motors sometimes get a bad rap, this is by far the best piece of equipment dad ever bought. Put it away after garden tilling half full of gas and fires right up next spring. Great for making furrows and also has hilling attachment.

Even pushes a little dirt and snow on occasion........

• Alc said thank you

#20 freedhardwoods OFFLINE  

• Member No: 47074
  • 374 Thanks
  • 197 posts

Posted October 20, 2013 - 05:31 PM

I bought my 7 hp Horse in 1992 from the factory. I wore out the original tines years ago and have a lot of wear on the second set. It's a fantastic machine. The only reason I'm starting to use my 446 to work the ground is to save time. My Troybilt will still be one of my main garden tools.

• Alc said thank you

#21 ol' stonebreaker OFFLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,261 Thanks
  • 948 posts

Posted October 20, 2013 - 08:46 PM

When I put the 6 1/2HP HF engine on my '84 Horse I built a 17 lb additional weight to bolt up between the original weight and the engine base to make up the difference in weight between the briggs that was on it and the HF engine. Seems to be balanced just right.