skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,418 Thanks
  • 3,164 posts

Posted June 17, 2013 - 05:39 AM

All I can say is Wow! What an awesome tiller! For a walk behind!! Its a crying shame they got sucked up by a half@$$3d company that is destined to ruin them completely....
My grandfather bought one back in the early 70's and it has many many acres on it, and my brother found one a few years back and it too has had its share of work. Now i have been using it and ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO GET MY OWN!! I love it !!!!!
  • Alc, hamman, chris m and 1 other said thanks

#2 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,627 posts

Posted June 17, 2013 - 05:49 AM

Keith what model are you using ? Are you using it for between rows too ?  And of course " where's the pictures " lol

• hamman, skyrydr2 and boyscout862 have said thanks

#3 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted June 17, 2013 - 06:00 AM

There's a reason TroyBilt is a best tiller money can buy.
  • hamman and boyscout862 have said thanks

#4 crittersf1 ONLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,169 Thanks
  • 5,761 posts

Posted June 17, 2013 - 06:29 AM

There's a reason TroyBilt is a best tiller money can buy.

Then the walls came tumbling down.

• hamman and boyscout862 have said thanks

#5 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,418 Thanks
  • 3,164 posts

Posted June 17, 2013 - 06:44 AM

Keith what model are you using ? Are you using it for between rows too ?  And of course " where's the pictures " lol

Yes between the rows, and it's a Horse I believe, it's the big one ,high,low range But not the real big one with the different pto options and 8 hp Kohler, this one has a 6 hp Cast Iron Tech. I have my 38 " Bolens tiller and 38-42" Ford tillers for the tractors , but they don't fit between the rows.
I read that tilling often will curb slugs, as they don't like the powdery dirt..... and it chops up their eggs and young-uns (evil laugh inserted )
  • Alc, hamman and boyscout862 have said thanks

#6 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,179 Thanks
  • 2,148 posts

Posted June 17, 2013 - 06:52 AM

All I can say is Wow! What an awesome tiller! For a walk behind!! Its a crying shame they got sucked up by a half@$$3d company that is destined to ruin them completely....
My grandfather bought one back in the early 70's and it has many many acres on it, and my brother found one a few years back and it too has had its share of work. Now i have been using it and ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO GET MY OWN!! I love it !!!!!

My Dad was a Rototiller (forerunner of the Troy-Bilt) dealer back in the 1950's.  ....When Troy-Bilt came into the picture, for many years they would not sell thru dealers, but only direct to the consumer (mailorder).  .....Since Dad could no longer sell those tillers, he sold many tillers from Toro, Bolens, Springfield, Snapper, & Hahn-Eclipse, but they were all front-tine tillers.

The original Rototillers (rear tine) were very good machines, so one year I bought a Troy-Bilt Horse as a gift for my Dad to use in his vegtable garden.  .....His soil is somewhat rocky, and everytime the Troy-Bilt encountered a stone, it would jump out of the ground.  ....My Dad was so frustrated, he went back to using his front-tine Hahn tiller. ....The Troy-Bilt was parked with only about 20 hours of use on it.

While doing some landscaping around my yard, I brought the Troy-Bilt home to use.  .....It did not do well in my hardpan of heavy clay (no stones or rocks).  ....I, too, parked the Troy-Bilt in favor of my Hahn front-tine tiller.

The Troy-Bilts do work extremely well in sandy or light soils, but they are not the best choice for everyone!  .....If they worked well for your family, and your soil is similar, then yes, they are great tillers!

If you are interested, I have my Dad's available (in New Jersey).  ....Send me a PM.

• Alc, hamman and boyscout862 have said thanks

#7 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted June 17, 2013 - 08:43 AM

My soil is bony so I have to dig out and screen an area to prepare for a new garden. I then spread compost and use my old Horse to till it in. I haven't seen anything better, in 30 years, than a Troybilt Horse for blending in an established garden. There are some manuals for the Troybilts in our manuals section, under walk behinds. Good Luck, Rick

#8 jd.rasentrac ONLINE  

jd.rasentrac

Admirer of DEERE enjoyneering and design!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10327
  • 4,446 Thanks
  • 3,995 posts

Posted June 17, 2013 - 09:09 AM

troybilt-logo.gif

• boyscout862 said thank you

#9 jms180 ONLINE  

jms180

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1266
  • 925 Thanks
  • 1,217 posts

Posted June 17, 2013 - 09:14 AM

I use a 1985 TroyBilt  Pony it will jump in hard soil or when it hits a stone but it does a great job when soil is worked often.

#10 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted June 17, 2013 - 09:55 AM

Then the walls came tumbling down.

I won't argue that the older model Troy Builts are a better machine. And a Horse has long been on my list of needs.

I'll still buy one when I find one at the right price!!

But 3 yrs ago when I had relocated and was short on cash and time to fix an old'y, I needed a tiller and Rear Tine is the only way to go in my opinion.

I bought a Troy Built Super Bronco (m gardening 7000 sq ft per year) and am very please with it. Will it  last 30-40 yrs?

I don't know that it will? But in 3 yrs I am sure it has already paid for itself.

Edited by JD DANNELS, June 17, 2013 - 09:59 AM.

#11 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted June 17, 2013 - 09:59 AM

I use a 1985 TroyBilt  Pony it will jump in hard soil or when it hits a stone but it does a great job when soil is worked often.

JMS you mention the jumping in hard soil and yes mine will do that too. However mine is reverse rotaton which takes some of that out.  If it is jumping use your depth control to take a smaller bite.

It is easier to go over it twice than to chase a runaway beast across the garden.

I went to rear tine because a front tine is a man killer in rough ground.

And weight it down some. I have wired two-4 ,1/2 gal milk jugs full of water(depending on conditions to the bumper and found it added wheel traction and took some of the jump out.

Edited by JD DANNELS, June 17, 2013 - 10:21 AM.

• freedhardwoods said thank you

#12 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 17, 2013 - 10:13 AM

I've got a Troy Bilt Junior. Its not common and is the smallest model they made. 3.5hp Tec. on mine. All the tiller I need for our small gardens. They do have a tendency to jump if they hit something hard but with the Junior it's fairly easy to control when that happens. I got it at a yard sale for 40$ with no air cleaner and it looked like low hours. It hadn't been run for maybe 15 years. About 125$ later I had it running with a new air filter and canister, carb kit governor parts, oil changed etc. I sold my rear tine after using the Junior. Much easier to handle and does a better job in my conditions.

#13 jms180 ONLINE  

jms180

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 925 Thanks
  • 1,217 posts

Posted June 17, 2013 - 10:40 AM

JMS you mention the jumping in hard soil and yes mine will do that too. However mine is reverse rotaton which takes some of that out.  If it is jumping use your depth control to take a smaller bite.

It is easier to go over it twice than to chase a runaway beast across the garden.

I went to rear tine because a front tine is a man killer in rough ground.

And weight it down some. I have wired two-4 ,1/2 gal milk jugs full of water(depending on conditions to the bumper and found it added wheel traction and took some of the jump out.

thanks. I do set the depth and make two or three passes. I have never tried weight I will try it.

#14 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted June 17, 2013 - 11:44 AM

thanks. I do set the depth and make two or three passes. I have never tried weight I will try it.

I forgot to mention, you can order weights for the machine from Troy-Built.  I never did, and when your 45 miles from anyplace that would have them. "Not only can A Country Boy Survive, He Can Improvise".

#15 jms180 ONLINE  

jms180

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 925 Thanks
  • 1,217 posts

Posted June 17, 2013 - 01:21 PM

I forgot to mention, you can order weights for the machine from Troy-Built.  I never did, and when your 45 miles from anyplace that would have them. "Not only can A Country Boy Survive, He Can Improvise".

I here you on country boy. I grew up helping grandpa pick cotton on the farm here in Alabama