17 replies to this topic

#1 Oregon_Bolens OFFLINE  

Oregon_Bolens
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 30153
  • 149 Thanks
  • 171 posts

Posted June 17, 2013 - 12:47 AM

Well, I can't say I added another Bolens because in the same trip, I sold a Bolens. I sold my 1455, mostly because I didn't have any attachments, and they seem to be harder to find and more expensive when you do find them. Being that I have all tube frames and a few decks, couple tillers, and now a couple blades, it makes since to stick with the tubers. So, it worked out that the locations of the buyer of the 1455 and the seller of the 1050 lived 20 minutes from each other, and about 75 miles from where I live. Why not make it a fathers day Bolens roadtrip.

I started off the day giving my dad a John Deere I've had for a while. He likes the green ones more than I do, and he's always loved the 110 since I got it. He had a huge smile when he seen it outside his shop this morning. He put some ags next to it and said he wants to make it 4 wheel drive...lol...we'll see when that happens...but it would be cool.

Then it was time to load up the 1455 and head north. The old man that bought it lived on the same farm heswas born on. After helping him throw 30 bales of hay and stacking it in the barn, I downloaded all the manuals and pictures I had onto his computer. Then I printed off the wiring diagrams since that was the main issue with the tractor. Great guy, and I hope he gets it going.

After unloading from my little trailer to his huge trailer, the patient wife and kids and I were off to pick up the 1050. The main reason the ad caught my eye was the hydro. I offered the guy $100 via email,and he accepted. The guy making the deals was a neighbor of the PO who had recently passed away. When I pulled up there was 4 1050's, but this one was in the best shape. However, the tires were shot, so I bought another set there and a blade in great shape for an additional $50. He said the tractor will run with shooting gas in the carb. Hoping its just clogged petcock valve and not much more, but we'll see. I'm excited to clean this thing up and use it as the tiller tractor since the 1556 is now the "mower". The motor is a TR-10D, dating 1966. So I believe its a 1966 or 1967? I'll post more pictures tomorrow after clean up and hopefully ill get her running. Happy Fathers Day!

Attached Thumbnails

• IMAG3696.jpg
  • IMAG3709.jpg
  • IMAG3723.jpg
  • IMAG3725.jpg
  • IMAG3727.jpg
  • IMAG3736.jpg
  • IMAG3737.jpg
  • IMAG3739.jpg

• hamman, CRFarnsworth, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#2 Nato77 OFFLINE  

Nato77

Old Iron Junky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9422
  • 1,646 Thanks
  • 1,333 posts

Posted June 17, 2013 - 04:27 AM

Nice score! :thumbs:   The hyd. lift is worth more than you paid for the tractor.  A 1050 with a TR-10D would be a 66' only. They changed ignition systems in 67'.

It looked like you could've put atleast one more in the box of the truck :D

• Oregon_Bolens said thank you

#3 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted June 17, 2013 - 07:24 AM

Nice Buy

Hope you can get her up and running

#4 Oregon_Bolens OFFLINE  

Oregon_Bolens
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 149 Thanks
  • 171 posts

Posted June 17, 2013 - 09:43 AM

Nice score! :thumbs:   The hyd. lift is worth more than you paid for the tractor.  A 1050 with a TR-10D would be a 66' only. They changed ignition systems in 67'.

It looked like you could've put atleast one more in the box of the truck :D

I thought so on the year...thank you. Hydraulic lift is what I really wanted. I definitely could have put another one in the box of the pickup...however, the wife was with me so I didn't want to push my luck...lol.

I may have to give the guy a call because inside the shed is a ton of spare parts that I didn't see. There are two more complete 1050's, one more that is in pieces and not sure if it is complete or not. He's just trying to get rid of it all before they have an estate sell. If I made a decent offer I could have it all...just don't think I necessarily need it all, then again, I don't really need as many as I have now...hmmmm :smashing_pc:

• Nato77 said thank you

#5 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted June 17, 2013 - 09:44 AM

Just remember, there's always room for 1 more Bolens ..... :D

#6 Oregon_Bolens OFFLINE  

Oregon_Bolens
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 149 Thanks
  • 171 posts

Posted June 17, 2013 - 10:01 AM

Just remember, there's always room for 1 more Bolens ..... :D

Cheers to that! :beerchug:

#7 Oregon_Bolens OFFLINE  

Oregon_Bolens
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 149 Thanks
  • 171 posts

Posted June 17, 2013 - 10:05 AM

Here's the blade I picked up with the 1050. Looks good in front of the 1556. However, noticed that one of the mounting holes is destroyed on the 1556...

Also, looks like a seal needs replaced on the 1050 transaxle. What's the rating on difficulty on replacing necessary parts to fix this issue on the seal? Is it worth doing, or just keep oil level sustained?

Attached Thumbnails

• IMAG3746.jpg
  • IMAG3749.jpg
  • IMAG3751.jpg

#8 Nato77 OFFLINE  

Nato77

Old Iron Junky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9422
  • 1,646 Thanks
  • 1,333 posts

Posted June 17, 2013 - 12:16 PM

I thought so on the year...thank you. Hydraulic lift is what I really wanted. I definitely could have put another one in the box of the pickup...however, the wife was with me so I didn't want to push my luck...lol.

Thats what I kinda figured. She didn't look the happiest in the one pic. :D

#9 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted June 17, 2013 - 09:16 PM

The seals themselves are not too bad. Its the stubborn drive cone and coupling that can sometimes be a real PITA to break free.....

#10 Oregon_Bolens OFFLINE  

Oregon_Bolens
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 149 Thanks
  • 171 posts

Posted June 17, 2013 - 11:27 PM

The seals themselves are not too bad. Its the stubborn drive cone and coupling that can sometimes be a real PITA to break free.....

I may just have to live with it for a while. We'll see.

Edited by steveaman23, June 17, 2013 - 11:29 PM.

#11 Oregon_Bolens OFFLINE  

Oregon_Bolens
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 149 Thanks
  • 171 posts

Posted June 17, 2013 - 11:39 PM

Got the 1050 running without much effort. Cleaned the fuel valve at the bottom of the tank, drained the gas, replaced the fuel line to the tank, fresh gas into tank, installed battery, sprayed carb cleaner in carb...and it fired. Its smoking quite a bit as you can see from the video. After running for about 20 seconds the motor started to rev up real high so I killed it. Something must be out of place or not hooked up. Hopefully will get some time with it later this week. Here's the video:

Edited by steveaman23, June 18, 2013 - 01:45 PM.

• Bolens 1000 said thank you

#12 owen OFFLINE  

owen
  • Member No: 38467
  • 8 Thanks
  • 17 posts

Posted June 18, 2013 - 12:43 PM

Doesn't it make you feel GREAT when something old like that starts up after doing a few basic things? My 1050 just need a little loving care after I brought it home.  I am on the hunt for a Fairbanks flywheel for the TR-10D in my 1050 - is there a possibility that you or the 1050's PO would have a used one I could glom onto?

#13 Oregon_Bolens OFFLINE  

Oregon_Bolens
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 149 Thanks
  • 171 posts

Posted June 18, 2013 - 01:44 PM

Owen, I will be making another trip to where I picked up the 1050, possibly this weekend. He does have 3 more of them, most likely two of them are too rough to be anything but parts tractors. It's a possibility that one of them is a '66 with a TR-10D. I'll let you know.

A 1965 Bolens 1000 also came stock with a TR-10D.

#14 owen OFFLINE  

owen
  • Member No: 38467
  • 8 Thanks
  • 17 posts

Posted June 18, 2013 - 02:56 PM

That's great Steve. It seems that TR10Ds came with either Fairbanks or Wico magneto systems (non-interchangeable pieces) and you may not know which one you have until the front engine shroud, and maybe the flywheel, is removed.

#15 Oregon_Bolens OFFLINE  

Oregon_Bolens
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 149 Thanks
  • 171 posts

Posted June 18, 2013 - 03:26 PM

Here's a picture of the other 1050 I didn't buy, the blue one. The white one is the one I took home and got started. He said the blue one ran up until recently, he's not sure why it's not starting now.

Obviously paint is not original, either is seat. But everything looked to be there. If the tires are like the one I got, they're gonna need to be replaced.

Question is, how much should I offer for this? Is it worth another 75 mile trip? If he throws in extra parts (2 parts tractors, a Wisconsin S8D motor, and who knows what else), what should that offer be for?

I'd like to have extra parts, but possibly thinking I could sell some parts as well to support this hobby. I'm not looking to make money, rather just try and stay even and not pull money from my bank account. I'm sure others on this site know what I'm talking about. This may be better starting this on a new thread...not sure. Anyway, any opinions are appreciated. Anybody sell parts on Ebay? How difficult and time consuming is it? I've always thought about it, just never pulled the trigger. Are summer tractor swap meets a good place to sale? Once again, never done that either...

Attached Thumbnails

• other bolens 1050.jpg
  • other 2.jpg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 1050, tr-10d, roadtrip, hydro, blade