10 replies to this topic

#1 Birder Joe OFFLINE  

Birder Joe
  • Member No: 38516
  • 2 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted June 16, 2013 - 10:35 PM

Hello:

This is my first time posting on this group and hope someone can solve my problem.

I have had this 1975 Gravely for 39 years and this is the first time this problem has occurred.  The problem started when the PTO lever would not transfer power to the mower deck.  After removing the control cover plate and pushing the PTO lever farther forward it would active the mower deck.  That worked for sometime.  It would cut grass nicely but had trouble in tall grass.  After checking the belt (some wear but not too bad) I put a new PIX (not Gravely) 12" x 126.5" belt on.

It mowed great for awhile but then started having the same problem when mowing thick or tall grass and finally would not work at all.  

The shaft coming out of the transmission turns when the drive shaft that connects to the mower deck is off.  I can turn the blades on the mower deck when the drive shaft is off as well.

More information:

Belt tensioner distance between spring is .049"

PTO shaft coming out of transmission turns all the time but turns faster when the PTO lever is in the in position.

PTO switch seems to work.

I would like to isolate the problem to either the mower deck or transmission. 

I'm baffled!

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks You,

Birder Joe

• hamman said thank you

#2 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted June 17, 2013 - 01:23 PM

Hi Joe, Welcome to GTTalk!  I wish I could be more help, but I'm not familiar with your exact model mower there.  In fact, in re-reading, you have not given your exact model.  I assume you are talking about one of the 4 wheel models.  I know the two wheel machines had a PTO clutch that protects the implements, and if that wears, the symptoms can be very similar to what  you are describing.  Do you have any other implements you can attach that use the same shaft?  That could help give you a clue whether it is the mower deck or the transmission.

Would love to see some pictures of a one-owner 1975 Gravely!!

MY BAD! :booboo:  Your title spells out 812!

Edited by HowardsMF155, June 17, 2013 - 03:54 PM.

#3 Guest_gravely-power_*

Guest_gravely-power_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted June 17, 2013 - 01:44 PM

It sounds like the pto clutch inside the transmission is slipping. Either from mis-adjustment or wear. You can find all of your manuals here http://gravelytractorclub.org/

Just follow the manual instructions for adjusting the pto.

#4 saleen322 OFFLINE  

saleen322

• Member No: 3625
  • 18 Thanks
  • 27 posts

Posted June 17, 2013 - 03:35 PM

I agree with gravely-power, it sounds like the PTO clutch. You can try this, with the tractor not running slowly engage the PTO lever. It should have some noticeable free play at the end of the stroke--when the PTO is engaged. Like a car clutch, you want full spring pressure when the lever in engaged. That means around 1/2" more or less of free play so the unit has full spring pressure.  

Edited by saleen322, June 17, 2013 - 03:38 PM.

#5 Birder Joe OFFLINE  

Birder Joe
  • 2 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted June 17, 2013 - 07:40 PM

Thanks to all of you that replied.  Much appreciated.  

I mounted a tiller and it turned slowly and when the tiller was lowered there was no turning which makes me think it is the pto adjustment just as all of you have suggested.  I started making the adjustments by adjusting the throw of the rod between the transmission and clevis but don't have it quite right yet.  By the way, it has never been adjusted. 

Will keep you posted.

Thanks again,

Joe

#6 Birder Joe OFFLINE  

Birder Joe
  • 2 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted June 19, 2013 - 05:19 PM

I have tried to adjust the pto to no avail and now know the the clutch inside the transmission needs to be replaced.  After 39 years it finally worn out!

That is a late fall or winter job so in the mean time I purchased a Gravely ZT 50".  I know it's the entry level model but I think it will work very well for a year or two and beyond until I decide what to do with the 812.

Tractorholic, I will post a couple photos of  the 812 in a day or two.  

Thanks to all of you who have taken time to reply to my posts.

Cheers,

Joe

#7 Birder Joe OFFLINE  

Birder Joe
  • 2 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted June 22, 2013 - 02:29 PM

This is the photo Tractorholic asked to see of my 1975  812 that  I've had for for 36 years.  I can't part with it so I'm going to repair it this winter.    

Thanks everybody for all your help!

Joe

1975 Gravely 812.jpg  

#8 saleen322 OFFLINE  

saleen322

• Member No: 3625
  • 18 Thanks
  • 27 posts

Posted June 23, 2013 - 09:41 AM

Well if I can be of any help, please don't hesitate to ask. I have an 812 and it is one of my favorites. It was in bad shape to start but with some TLC, it really improved.

812_zps475e0693.jpg 812-1.jpg

#9 Guest_gravely-power_*

Guest_gravely-power_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted June 23, 2013 - 10:04 AM

This is the photo Tractorholic asked to see of my 1975  812 that  I've had for for 36 years.  I can't part with it so I'm going to repair it this winter.    

Joe

attachicon.gif1975 Gravely 812.jpg

I wouldn't part with it either. The good thing is, this will give you time to locate a good PTO, as they are rather pricey.

#10 Guest_Fluid_*

Guest_Fluid_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted December 11, 2013 - 11:06 PM

Joe

attachicon.gif1975 Gravely 812.jpg

I like your 1975 812, I have a 73 816.    I see you have a rear tiller and a weight rack, do you have any other attachments? Could you maybe take some pictures of them?  I'd love to get a rear tiller for mine, I'm looking...Thanks..

#11 gregleonard OFFLINE  

gregleonard
  • Member No: 59483
  • 0 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted June 28, 2014 - 04:11 PM

Hi, this also is my first time posting. I like also have a problem with my PTO switch. I am sure it is the problem. I have either a 1977 or 1978 Gravely 812. I have had it for 20 years and love it. I took it to a person who has been around John Deere tractors and thought he could fix problem. Well after $500 the PTO still does not work.

I called other dealers and they say it would be between $1,000 to $1,300 to repair PTO. WOW. 

I reluctantly put it up for sale. I got a call from someone who says they have an PTO part that would fit on my tractor. It was only $100. Is this something I should do. If so, I would keep my tractor and replace the PTO for that kind of money.

Not sure if easy to replace or am I getting into a deep problem?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mower deck, 1975 gravely mower deck