6 replies to this topic

#1 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 36782
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted June 16, 2013 - 08:06 PM

I need to know how to fix the spindle axle play on my tractor, it's not a Massey, but you guys here seem to have crossed that bridge before, I just need to know if there is anything I can do to fix it or do I need to buy a new axle.The weird part is is I dont think these spindles are original I have seen several axles that are tapped for roll pins like these, but I cant find a tube frame that uses that system Bolens 1000 thinks that someone stripped the shaft collar so they drilled the spindle, Why for a 4 dollar shaft collar? I just don't think some one would drill a spindle to replace a shaft collar., but i digress. If these aren't the original spindles then they may be smaller. The tractor is in pristine shape, I don't see that the axle/spindles would have this much play

http://s1197.photobu...html?sort=3&o=0

• hamman and larryd have said thanks

#2 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted June 16, 2013 - 09:19 PM

Wow that is a lot of play. Have you pulled them out yet to see if there is a bushing or anything that is worn out?

As far as the holes go, It would not surprise me that someone drill them! I have worked with people that would drill a hole like that just because they were to lazy to walk back to the shop to get a shaft collar. So... If it involved getting in a car and driving to town, My guess is they opted to drill instead.

• larryd said thank you

#3 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted June 16, 2013 - 09:52 PM

Wow that is a lot of play. Have you pulled them out yet to see if there is a bushing or anything that is worn out?

As far as the holes go, It would not surprise me that someone drill them! I have worked with people that would drill a hole like that just because they were to lazy to walk back to the shop to get a shaft collar. So... If it involved getting in a car and driving to town, My guess is they opted to drill instead.

"I have worked with people that would drill a hole like that just because they were to lazy to walk back to the shop to get a shaft collar", a shovel to the back of the head will take care of this kind of laziness. That doesn't even make sense, they would they have to walk to get the drill motor, and these holes if drilled were done on a drill press, no moron with a drill punched through these while they were on the tractor. I would bet my bottom dollar that these holes are either factory OR someone took the entire spindle off and put it into a jig on drill press, way too clean and exact. That part really doesn't matter and I could care less, I googled this question and several others have asked the same thing, clear back to 09, with no real answer on three different forums, weird. Two also mentioned holes and roll pins, somehow I'm feeling some of these manuals may be a little generic. I've read 10 complete parts and repair manuals tonight, I'll figure it out after I get the axle apart, and let you know. I do know the spindle steel is way harder than the cast iron axle, I also know that I can have axle drilled and bushed. i guess that about takes care of it. Thanks

• larryd said thank you

#4 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,681 Thanks
  • 17,202 posts

Posted June 16, 2013 - 09:55 PM

I should have asked before but.... What makes you think the holes are drilled out? The original Bolens spindles were just holes drilled through them like yours. The actual threads were in the collar that went around the spindle....

• larryd said thank you

#5 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted June 16, 2013 - 11:33 PM

"I have worked with people that would drill a hole like that just because they were to lazy to walk back to the shop to get a shaft collar", a shovel to the back of the head will take care of this kind of laziness. That doesn't even make sense, they would they have to walk to get the drill motor, and these holes if drilled were done on a drill press, no moron with a drill punched through these while they were on the tractor. I would bet my bottom dollar that these holes are either factory OR someone took the entire spindle off and put it into a jig on drill press, way too clean and exact. That part really doesn't matter and I could care less, I googled this question and several others have asked the same thing, clear back to 09, with no real answer on three different forums, weird. Two also mentioned holes and roll pins, somehow I'm feeling some of these manuals may be a little generic. I've read 10 complete parts and repair manuals tonight, I'll figure it out after I get the axle apart, and let you know. I do know the spindle steel is way harder than the cast iron axle, I also know that I can have axle drilled and bushed. i guess that about takes care of it. Thanks

You should see some of the guys I have worked with! And they always had a drill and bits in there roll around box. ( Industrial Maintenance). I agree, if they are perfectly straight then they are probably factory or done in a press.

I don't know anything about Bolens as I have never owned one. But I figured I would get the ball rolling for you and ask a few questions. I have even done some searching and haven't come up with a good answer. But I am sure we'll get to the bottom of this mystery soon. I am interested in seeing why there is so much play in the spindle. I'm curious to see if anything is worn or if it is to small of a spindle. Good Luck.

• larryd said thank you

#6 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted June 17, 2013 - 02:34 AM

It wouldn't surprise me. The tie rod and drag link ends on my cub cadet were bigger than factory. The hole in the spindles were drilled out and the ends of the rods were welded on.
  • larryd said thank you

#7 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted June 17, 2013 - 07:33 PM

I should have asked before but.... What makes you think the holes are drilled out? The original Bolens spindles were just holes drilled through them like yours. The actual threads were in the collar that went around the spindle....

I think we are talking different language, English is my second language, sometimes on not clear. I'm misunderstood to you about the holes. While almost all the manuals show shaft collars and all the ones you have use shaft collars, all the ones on ebay are drilled for roll pins and The six my buddy has all use roll pins (H14, G14, H16XL, G11Xl, 850, and 900) He was a Bolens dealer in Oklahoma in the 70-80s and he said he thought at least half came with roll pins and half didn't he wasn't sure which models or why, he was a dealer and not the mechanic. Just goes to show you cant always believe the manual. There are also different manuals for different models in the same series. Again not that it matters in the least. I'm going to put in all new tie rods and the ball joint in the steering and drill and bush the spindles with a thin steel bushing that has a groove cut in it of grease flow. I'm trying to fix and repair 40 years of neglect, lack of proper maintenance and the previous owners ability and knowledge of machinery