Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Do you prefer to use a snow blade or snow blower?

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#46 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,483 Thanks
  • 5,013 posts

Posted July 17, 2012 - 12:19 PM

I missed this one also. After thirty years of moving snow with loaders, Blades, and blowers, I prefer the blowers for most applications. I do have a single stage on a Simplicity 7117 that will throw everything up to water but when It is real slushy I like to take the back bade on the big tractor and clean up with that. I use the loader for moving snow away from the buildings and breaking up ice on the walkways. Come to think of it I guess I like them all. :thumbs:

#47 HydroHarold OFFLINE  

HydroHarold
  • Member No: 9622
  • 702 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted August 15, 2012 - 12:57 AM

I have a 48" blade and a 42" single stage. My driveway slopes down to the street so I can plow a bit more than if it were flat. The blower goes on if it's over 5" or so. I don't know which I'd rather run, both are fun. I put a rubber edge on my blade since I'm always plowing before any traffic is on the driveway. I'd never go back to the steel edge again for snow. It also works better on the lawn around the bird feeders. Unless the snow started on frozen ground as rain the rubber edge is great and nothing but the sun and stove ash will take off that first coat of ice anyway.

I also do one neighbor and his car parking arraingements are sorely lacking for ease of parking. The blower is handier as plowing over there requires a whole lot of backbladeing up hill.

For years I had one of my Gravely "L's" driving a "dog eater" blower. I can tell you that my JD single stage will handle dry or wet snow and gray slush WAAY better than that old blower. It will even outperform my mothballed Snapper 8/26 in sticky conditions. I laugh every time my neighbor ignores my advice and goes right at it with his walk behind blower right out of his warm garage and it just keeps plugging. Hey, some people just can't wait I guess.:D

See post "I can't wait" for a pic of my GX blower clearing out the bird feeder area (and totally unnecessarily most of the front yard) last December. It was the only snow event we got worthy of any removal equipment at all. However, I did run out before sun up to plow off the only other snowfall of 1.5" before the sun could melt it off by 8:30 AM. Crappy winter last year!!!:D

#48 ggsteve OFFLINE  

ggsteve

• Member No: 4164
  • 142 Thanks
  • 253 posts

Posted August 15, 2012 - 06:50 AM

I like to do both but the blower wins hands down because I can put the snow where ever I want/need to.

The main snow mover - Craftsman Pro with Berco blower:

Posted Image

However, when dealing with crap like this:

Posted Image

I pull out a blade. Here's the JD 214 with remote manual angle #43 blade (loaded tires):

Posted Image

The Johnny Bucket comes in handy sometimes too:

Posted Image

#49 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,153 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted August 15, 2012 - 03:15 PM

I have been using this 1988 Craftsman since I bought it in late 2006 for $100. I gave it to the son using it after I bought the old Jacobsen TurfCat from the son-in-law after he bought a New Holland TC29 that he is putting a five foot blower on the back of. The TurfCat originally had a 20 hp Onan in it but three years ago I put a 16.5 hp Kubota diesel in it out of a 1994 Jacobsen TriKing reel mower.

Attached Thumbnails

• 2007-12-04 Chris on Craftsman 009.jpg
  • 2011-11-03 Jac TC_021.jpg

#50 lyall ONLINE  

lyall

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2180
  • 1,747 Thanks
  • 1,398 posts

Posted September 03, 2012 - 09:29 PM

it depends on the snow and how much
JD 212 with blade
JD 214 with snow blower with cab
JD 110 with front end loader

if I beat the city snow plow in the morning, I clear my side the the street so that the wife and/or kids can get out of the driveway

#51 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted September 04, 2012 - 05:41 PM

I don't have a blower, so front plow is the answer.
I will be plowing this season with a Wheel Horse GT-14 with a (hydraulic operated) 54" snow plow.....assuming we get snow this year!
On a side note, I now have a 48" grader blade that will work on the GT-14 at the same time as a snow plow....Independant mid and rear hydraulic cylinders.

#52 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,748 Thanks
  • 7,698 posts

Posted September 04, 2012 - 07:02 PM

Snow???? What is that??

#53 tractorman604 OFFLINE  

tractorman604
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 683
  • 269 Thanks
  • 694 posts

Posted October 15, 2012 - 01:21 PM

Snow???? What is that??

It's that real nice white stuff falling from the sky that i cant wait for or cant get enough of.Man i love plowing SNOW!!!

#54 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,748 Thanks
  • 7,698 posts

Posted October 15, 2012 - 01:28 PM

It's that real nice white stuff falling from the sky that i cant wait for or cant get enough of.Man i love plowing SNOW!!!

You mean like when a plane full of cocaine explodes?

#55 JDGuy445 OFFLINE  

JDGuy445
  • Member No: 10419
  • 356 Thanks
  • 428 posts

Posted October 15, 2012 - 02:20 PM

If this "snow" stuff you speak of happens we break out the blade. Blades are easier maintence and cheaper in my opinion. They also are very versatile, you can plow gravel drive-ways covered in snow without shooting rocks out. You can also use the blade for more than two things such as ditching, leveling, grading and so on...

Attached Thumbnails

• 007.JPG
  • 012.JPG
  • 006.JPG

#56 tractorman604 OFFLINE  

tractorman604
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 683
  • 269 Thanks
  • 694 posts

Posted October 15, 2012 - 02:31 PM

You mean like when a plane full of cocaine explodes?

Maybe that's why i'm so happy when i'm plowing it.

#57 cumminsmannow OFFLINE  

cumminsmannow
  • Member No: 11834
  • 100 Thanks
  • 294 posts

Posted October 16, 2012 - 06:00 PM

I have a multitude of options... I plow commercially with my '12 ram 2500 with a hiniker 9' c-plow. Then use a bobcat s250 with a high-flow blower to get rid of the windrows that get pushed up with the pickup. So normally i use the truck. But before i had it i had a front blade and a 2stage snowthrower for my l110 jd. The blade works fine for less than 2" but the blower is the way to go. I just couldnt get enough speed with the tractor to get the snow to "roll" nice. I also have a 60" moose plow for my yamaha grizzly. That thing gets going so i can wing it out a ways.
Also have a toro 4stroke 21" powerclear to do sidewalks with.
I've also used a backpack leaf blower for small light fluffy snows.

I just wish we could get some decent snow this year because all this stuff costs way too much money to just sit in the garage.

#58 Jehtro OFFLINE  

Jehtro

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3300
  • 109 Thanks
  • 276 posts

Posted October 17, 2012 - 10:02 AM

I've always had Single stage blowers on the tractors i've owned.

But last season is was so warm the blade was the only way to go.

i must admit it was a nice change from the blower, ran the tractor at lower speed,

easier turning without the blower wieght,

but a blower sure does clean thing up nicer,

Eventually i would like to have the h14xl with a blade, and the 318 with the blower and cab.

#59 LTD OFFLINE  

LTD

Cub Cadet Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5951
  • 1,028 Thanks
  • 1,455 posts

Posted October 17, 2012 - 08:21 PM

I like the blade in 6 inches or less of snow. More than that and it's time to get the blower out.

#60 oldtimer OFFLINE  

oldtimer
  • Member No: 10588
  • 374 Thanks
  • 339 posts

Posted December 11, 2012 - 09:41 AM

I'm hoping to have as much fun this winter. #C339520484210#P239520484210#F8#.jpg