Vote for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

- - - - -

Do you prefer to use a snow blade or snow blower?

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#16 Tinkerer OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 259
  • 18 Thanks
  • 200 posts

Posted November 21, 2010 - 10:10 PM

I think the snow blade is more fun but I am looking forward to using the snow blower on my riding tractors this winter. I have always used a walk behind snow blower. I have limited room to blade the snow so the snow blowers are better suited for my small yard.

#17 tweidman OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5
  • 250 Thanks
  • 797 posts

Posted November 21, 2010 - 11:36 PM

I guess it just depends on how much snow. I like using my blade, but last year I could not even move the blade with my chains on, so, I switched to the blower. They both have there pluses and minuses for me.
I have an electric actuator that works anything hooked to the mid point ot rear sleeve, my blade lift with the touch of a button.

#18 DGS345 OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 513
  • 16 Thanks
  • 348 posts

Posted November 22, 2010 - 01:04 PM

I will use the blade as much as I can. If it gets to be too much show ill throw the blower on. I keep it in the garage so its a pretty easy swap. when I start plowing I push the snow pretty far back out of the way so I don't usually run out of room. If I do ill move it with the loader.

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_2698.jpg
  • 100_2694.jpg

#19 BillTheTractorMan OFFLINE  

• Member No: 1477
  • 203 Thanks
  • 288 posts

Posted November 23, 2010 - 08:25 PM

I prefered the blade on my itty bitty tank (sears lt10 36), it would move ice, snow, dirt, the neighbor kids, the guys dog that tried to poop in my yard, the neighbors car. But now I upgraded to a 1970 sears ss12, I only have a blade for it and after leveling my moms garden twice I think I prefer the all year round usability of it. Plus I can't afford to spend $100 on a snow blower that might get used twice a year, when my dad has a snow blower already.

Posted Image

#20 RobertBrowning OFFLINE  

• Member No: 1577
  • 0 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted December 05, 2010 - 02:02 PM

I am new here and would love to get more implements for my Ford YT16, like a snowblower, and plow, possibly a FEL. But Im not sure what ones will interchange.

#21 poncho62 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 42
  • 619 Thanks
  • 1,213 posts

Posted December 05, 2010 - 04:56 PM

Never had a blower before this year, so we will see how it works out. We had a few inches of wet snow a few days ago, so I piled it up with the blade and attempted to blow it......clogged the chute up.......lol....Guess I need lessons.....

Posted Image

#22 grnspot110 OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,207 Thanks
  • 2,363 posts

Posted December 05, 2010 - 05:08 PM

Finished repainting the 37A blower recently, now I just hope I don't need it this year. The older I get the less I like winter! ~~ grnspot110

Attached Thumbnails

• HPIM1901 - Copy (640x478).jpg

• Member No: 915
  • 543 Thanks
  • 497 posts

Posted December 13, 2010 - 10:41 AM

I like a back blade for cleanup behind the blower that I've only used 3 out of the last 32 years. I guess the FEL that I use and prefer doesn't qualify in this thread. LOL

#24 DanO OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1918
  • 153 Thanks
  • 350 posts

Posted January 27, 2011 - 11:11 PM

I Much Prefer a Blade. Have Dozer Blades on 3 of My David Bradley Walk Behinds and a Grader /Slowplow Blade on My Farmall Super A.... I do own a MTD 26 inch Snowblower but I hardly ever use it at all unless the snow is realy light and fluffy and even then, if the wind is blowing the wrong way, you end up looking like a Snowman! Also, Blades Don't (For the Most Part) Break or Jam Up

Edited by DanO, January 27, 2011 - 11:16 PM.

#25 Deacon99 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 1333
  • 0 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted January 30, 2011 - 11:13 PM

I prefer a snowblower as we typically get dry snow (and lots of wind). Many of my neighbours use a blade but the blade leaves a ridge that then blows full from drifting so the more they push the taller the ridges get to fill with more snow. I use a 44-inch Berco(mac) 2-stage Northeast blower on a Craftsman GT6000 with hydrostatic. The hydro is really great with the blower as you can ease into heavy stuff and breeze through light stuff. My neighbours can't believe how far I throw the snow from my yard (and a few of theirs!) Have two blades but don't use them for snow... Also use a Berco enclosure to keep the powder off of me - warms the cab nicely too!

• Member No: 1415
  • 4 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted January 30, 2011 - 11:56 PM

blades and snowblowers work good but a jacobsen 1650 with a kwik way loader can be fun pushing and making piles :)

#27 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted January 31, 2011 - 09:34 PM

I like to use my rear blade and then make piles with the loader. Another winter with this much snow though, and I'm going to have to consider a blower. I'm running out of places to put the snow.

#28 Rickski OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1538
  • 11 Thanks
  • 142 posts

Posted February 04, 2011 - 10:52 AM

With all the snow we have this year, I've been using the single stage blower on the front of a Jacobsen Chief 100. The 10HP Kohler is bogging down and I'm torn between getting a bigger engine or a 2 stage blower. Anyone have a single stage on a 14 or 16 HP machine? How's it work? Seems to me that the engines don't need to work near as hard on a 2 stage. Cost of going to a 2 stage or picking up a used 16 HP engine is probably going to be about the same, so what do ya think?

Edited by Rickski, February 04, 2011 - 11:01 AM.

#29 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,451 Thanks
  • 17,089 posts

Posted February 04, 2011 - 05:58 PM

My 10HP Bolens seems to be doing the job for me.......

Here's a video I found of a 14HP Bolens with the single stage blower

• grand and Rickski have said thanks

#30 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 383
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted February 04, 2011 - 06:03 PM

Sounds like he needs a lower gear, a hydro, or more power. But that IS pretty deep snow. Or, is that where a 2-stage blower comes in handy???