Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Do you prefer to use a snow blade or snow blower?

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#1 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted November 07, 2010 - 07:19 PM

I am curious for those that remove snow with their garden tractors if you prefer to use your garden tractor with a snow blade or snow blower for snow removal?

I like the snow blade but the only one I have that works right now is the one for my Massey MF12 and that thing is a beast to lift up manually.

The snow blower on the other hand has the lift helper springs and it is easier to lift then the snow blade. So for right now I would have to say the snow blower is my favorite.

I did get a snow blade for the Cub Cadet 147 and that has electric lift but I am missing a piece that goes on the lift for the rod to connect to. I think once I have it setup that it may be my favorite piece at least till I put an electric actuator on the Massey.

#2 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted November 07, 2010 - 07:38 PM

A blade is faster but has it's limits and the driveway will get smaller as the season goes on.
A blower will move the snow well back from the edge of the drive and maintain the width.

#3 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted November 07, 2010 - 07:55 PM

I like Both.
when we only get a couple inches I use the blade, but when we get over 4'' I use the Blower.

#4 massey driver ONLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,076 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted November 07, 2010 - 07:57 PM

I'd rather use a blower as I don't leave any ridges for the snow to drift up against and make even more deeper snow.When its windy out I blow snow with the wind direction and you just can see the snow flying in the air going to who knows where.Larry

#5 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,315 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted November 07, 2010 - 10:05 PM

When its windy out I blow snow with the wind direction and you just can see the snow flying in the air going to who knows where.Larry

Funny, that's the same technique powerking56's neighbors use when dealing with their leaves.

...we have NO trees in our front door yard, but I'd swear we end up with more of our neighbors' leaves than they all do......:wtf:

#6 mikebramel OFFLINE  

mikebramel

Ron Paul

• Member No: 82
  • 176 Thanks
  • 1,009 posts

Posted November 08, 2010 - 01:11 AM

the blade should be pretty easy to lift dont you have a spring on the front.
i would like to use the blade on mine but the driveway is so short and its such a pain shifting and maneuvering that thing with the 10
the blower is much nicer
the blade would be nice on the hydro 14 but thats not back together yet..... maybe by summer LOL

#7 grnspot110 ONLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,396 posts

Posted November 08, 2010 - 06:58 AM

I use both, depends on the weather (temp)! 83-420 w/4-way blade or 74-112 w/cab & 37A blower (picture shows a #37 blower, but I have a #37A now). Both work well for their intended purpose.

Going to have to get them out & install one of these days! :( ~~ grnspot110

Attached Thumbnails

• GARDEN TRACTORS 700 - Copy.jpg
  • GARDEN TRACTORS 198a.jpg

#8 fordmustang1984 OFFLINE  

fordmustang1984

Tractorholic

• Member No: 27
  • 23 Thanks
  • 428 posts

Posted November 08, 2010 - 04:11 PM

I like a blade. As long as i plow the snow well back from the edge of the drivway then its fine for the winter.

#9 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted November 08, 2010 - 06:40 PM

I don't have a blower...yet LOL, So I prefer that blade over the shovel for sure. I also have a gravel driveway, and have been warned that a blower may not cooperate with it.

#10 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted November 09, 2010 - 05:59 AM

When I used to clear snow with my Massey 1655,I had a blade on it.What I liked about it was that it did such a neat job,and was fairly fast too depending on the amount of snow .The snow blower is nice too,but messy,you're always covered in snow.

Edited by mjodrey, November 09, 2010 - 07:59 AM.

#11 kfagan OFFLINE  

kfagan

• Member No: 1499
  • 0 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted November 15, 2010 - 10:31 PM

Personally (and professionally) I use a blade unless the snow is 2'+ and very heavy, then I use a skid steer or backhoe just to make life a little easier.snowblowers have always given me troublein wet snow. Although i have been considering a V8 snowblower. Not sure that it would get used but it's deffinatly a conversation piece

Edited by kfagan, November 15, 2010 - 10:38 PM.

#12 avg joe throwin snow OFFLINE  

avg joe throwin snow

• Member No: 1579
  • 0 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted November 16, 2010 - 01:11 AM

I like using a snow blower for most situations. And I use a walk behind snow thrower for smaller jobs. They are convenient, easy to maneuver in tight terrain, and more economical to use. Naturally, at some point, the job is too big to use them. I like a blade for thinner, icy or wetter conditions.

#13 tractormike OFFLINE  

tractormike

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 119
  • 162 Thanks
  • 1,488 posts

Posted November 16, 2010 - 06:50 AM

Welcome to the forum avg joe throwing snow! Glad you found us and joined up. Grab a chair and sit and visit awhile. Go to the new member forum and post an introduction of yourself. You will find this to be a friendly spot to hang out.
As far as my snow removal I preffer to use a blower. I have a narrow driveway and limited space up around the house to put snow. I have used a front blade on light snow falls as it is actually more fun to use in my opinion but for any real amount of snow I have to get the blower out so I can make sure I don't run out of room to put the snow by spring. I have a gravel driveway and yes the blower does throw some gravel. I blow the snow up on the side hill and figure eventually it will roll back down on the driveway! At least I don't have to rake the gravel out of the yard each spring.

Edited by tractormike, November 18, 2010 - 08:57 AM.

#14 Pa Plow Day OFFLINE  

Pa Plow Day

• Contributor
  • Member No: 201
  • 7 Thanks
  • 78 posts

Posted November 17, 2010 - 09:47 PM

i don't own a blade anymore. I just prefer the blower for anything over a couple inches, and the broom for anything less. I primarily use my tractor for commercial sidewalks, blade just isn't a good option. When i did use my garden tractor i preferred a blade, the single stage blowers just didn't work very well, 2 stage is a wonderful invention.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0055..jpg

#15 Chuck_050382 OFFLINE  

Chuck_050382

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 32
  • 267 Thanks
  • 1,498 posts

Posted November 18, 2010 - 08:22 AM

Right now I am going to say blade, but thats because I have never used a blower, Hope to get to try one next winter. I either have to find a wheelhorse tractor or make the wheelhorse blower work with one of my tractors.