• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,754 Thanks
  • 7,525 posts

Posted June 16, 2013 - 11:36 AM

Last fall my friend called that his LT had died. He took it to the local shop. They charged him $100 to open the engine and tell him he needed a new one. I told him to bring it over and I'd try to rebuild it for him.

The cylinder had bad gouges like a grain of sand had gotten in. I honed it to +0.010 but they were still deep. I hunted around in my parts engine pile and found a similar engine that had two mounting ears broken off. I rebuilt the engine using the best parts from both. It started right up and mowed my lawn like it should. As I was parking it the engine died. The intake valve keeper had come loose. I repaired it and tested again, okay. Ted couldn't pick it up until this spring. While I was in LA he used it but it died on him a couple of times. I wasn't around, and he was somad at it for being a pain for 20 years that he went out and bought a new Ariens and is very happy with it.

He called me when I got back and gave me the LT. I picked it up yesterday with a plow for it thrown in. I told him that it was probably just water in the old gas from sitting all winter(I had started it every month). He was mad at it and wanted me to take it. We had a nice vist and then had to get on to our various chores.

I tried it on our lawn and it worked as it should. I want to use it until two of the lawn mowing GTs are working. Then I'll sell it with chains and weights added for a nice package.

SD530524.JPG SD530523.JPG

Playing with LTs and selling them helps pay for the good GTs. Good Luck, Rick

• hamman, HDWildBill and Dieselcubmike have said thanks

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 16, 2013 - 11:42 AM

Too bad it didn't work out for your friend. Chances are he would never trust it again so he is better off with a new one. 

• hamman and boyscout862 have said thanks

#3 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted June 16, 2013 - 12:46 PM

Nice Deal Rick.  I just picked up a snapper from my FIL he didn't want any more.  Hope to have it running to use to cut the little lawn I have.  As Brian said your friend is probably better off with the new tractor.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#4 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • 9,754 Thanks
  • 7,525 posts

Posted June 16, 2013 - 01:32 PM

Ted is a metal working phenomenon. He does blacksmithing as a hobby and drives a Model T Ford pickup. In the sixties he built custom guns at Colt. The Match grade M1As he built were tack drivers. Some of his customers were SEALS. At home, He made custom tomahawks for the guys when they were headed incountry. He is very talented and patient for most things. Lawn mowers he leaves to me.

When I clean my shop and make room he will help me properly set up my Southbend lathe, Atlas shaper, and Atlas horizontal miller. then he'll have to teach me how to use the mills. We work well together for thirty years now. Good Luck, Rick

#5 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • 9,754 Thanks
  • 7,525 posts

Posted June 18, 2013 - 06:36 AM

Yesterday I was mowing the trail in the woods. I stopped to check on one of my machines. The LT wouldn't restart(starter couldn't spin the engine). I looked in the gas tank and found that the inner seal of the gas cap had disintergrated and fallen into the tank. Must have been too much ethanol in the gas. When the engine cooled it started. I will have to check the charging system and the battery. Good Luck, Rick 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: agway lt, b&s 12hp