5 replies to this topic

#1 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 36782
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted June 16, 2013 - 10:12 AM

Okay early Bolens model tube frames and large frames  used roll pins to secure the wheel to the axle. I've seen the Bolens 850 model 190-01 that uses them the 190-02 uses shaft collar, Many of the 1256-1886 also use roll pins. My H16 has these spindles and they seem "loose" in the axle, is this how they are supposed to be? Any advice/help is greatly appreciated.

http://s1197.photobu...html?sort=3&o=0

Edited by OkieGt, June 16, 2013 - 10:14 AM.

#2 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,703 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted June 16, 2013 - 11:10 AM

All the ones I've ever seen except the 600 had set collars with set screw type bolts that thread into the collar.

The 600's just used a cotter pin

The 190-01 is the husky 1000

My 1256 Had the set collar as well.

I feel confident saying any ones with roll pins were put in by the owners ( not the factory)

• OkieGt said thank you

#3 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted June 16, 2013 - 01:29 PM

All the ones I've ever seen except the 600 had set collars with set screw type bolts that thread into the collar.

The 600's just used a cotter pin

The 190-01 is the husky 1000

My 1256 Had the set collar as well.

I feel confident saying any ones with roll pins were put in by the owners ( not the factory)

There are three sets of Bolens spindles on ebay, two for large frames, one for tube frames, but I really don't care one way or another about that, I have shaft collars anyway, Can you tell me about the play in the spindle/axle hole? Thanks a bunch

EDIT: I searched MANY manuals here and never saw ANY tractors that had roll pins, there were some large frames that used a cone and race bearing similar to the Simplicity's only with a cotter pin. I suppose my roll pins were added in stead of a cotter, but the H16 isn't supposed to have a cotter, so Bolens 100 is probably right when he says there must be a bunch of guys drilling holes in the spindles, question is, is why?, Oh well we'll never know, cause we aren't smart like those self taught mechanical engineers

Edited by OkieGt, June 16, 2013 - 01:43 PM.

#4 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,703 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted June 16, 2013 - 07:20 PM

There are three sets of Bolens spindles on ebay, two for large frames, one for tube frames, but I really don't care one way or another about that, I have shaft collars anyway, Can you tell me about the play in the spindle/axle hole? Thanks a bunch

EDIT: I searched MANY manuals here and never saw ANY tractors that had roll pins, there were some large frames that used a cone and race bearing similar to the Simplicity's only with a cotter pin. I suppose my roll pins were added in stead of a cotter, but the H16 isn't supposed to have a cotter, so Bolens 100 is probably right when he says there must be a bunch of guys drilling holes in the spindles, question is, is why?, Oh well we'll never know, cause we aren't smart like those self taught mechanical engineers

I dont deal with the large frames much so I cant say what kinds of spindles they used.

I think alot of people stripped out the collar when putting the pin back in and they decided to shove a roll pin in as a simple fix. I had a few where the threads were crossed from carelessness.

I watched the video about the play in the spindle and have never seen that much play in that area before.

#5 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted June 16, 2013 - 07:55 PM

I dont deal with the large frames much so I cant say what kinds of spindles they used.

I think alot of people stripped out the collar when putting the pin back in and they decided to shove a roll pin in as a simple fix. I had a few where the threads were crossed from carelessness.

I watched the video about the play in the spindle and have never seen that much play in that area before.

I thought the play was excessive, what should I do?

#6 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,703 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted June 16, 2013 - 08:03 PM

I thought the play was excessive, what should I do?

I'm wondering if you could sneak some bushings in there?

I dont believe there were any bushings in the cast iron housing originally as typically that was not a heavy wear area. I have no idea how that excessive play developed... either someone really abused the heck out of it or someone used the wrong spindle.