• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#16 owen OFFLINE  

owen
  • Member No: 38467
  • 8 Thanks
  • 17 posts

Posted June 20, 2013 - 11:00 AM

oh boy oh boy oh boy! Just multipy the weight of the flywheel in ounces, times today's spot price for gold...It's worth almost that much to me!

#17 owen OFFLINE  

owen
  • 8 Thanks
  • 17 posts

Posted June 20, 2013 - 11:02 AM

p.s., Oregon - only the Fairbanks Morse flywheel will work with my magneto. If it's a Wico flywheel I would also need to buy your magneto/spark plug wire setup.

Owen

#18 Oregon_Bolens OFFLINE  

Oregon_Bolens
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 30153
  • 149 Thanks
  • 171 posts

Posted June 20, 2013 - 11:05 AM

Hah! Hopefully it's the right one and it's not cracked. I'll pull it tonight and take some pictures.

I see you're from Burnet. My wife lived in Llano for most of her childhood. We were supposed to be out there right now for her brothers graduation from the Air Force Recruiting school this week. We had big plans, like going to Cooper's BBQ...but it so happened that the graduation fell on the same day as our son's birthday...and we couldn't miss that...oh well.

#19 Oregon_Bolens OFFLINE  

Oregon_Bolens
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 149 Thanks
  • 171 posts

Posted June 20, 2013 - 09:42 PM

Its a Wico...

Attached Thumbnails

• IMAG3855.jpg

#20 owen OFFLINE  

owen
  • 8 Thanks
  • 17 posts

Posted June 24, 2013 - 09:20 AM

I could use that, I believe, if I also swapped the magneto/plugwire/crankshaft support part of the ignition system - would that de doable for you?. That may be my only hope at this point - the Fairbanks-Morse flywheel doesn't seem to be in anyone's inventory of cool stuff. 

#21 owen OFFLINE  

owen
  • 8 Thanks
  • 17 posts

Posted July 13, 2013 - 09:15 AM

Oh boy, am I happy! And about a very small thing, from an eternal perspective. I found a replacement flywheel on Ebay for the ruined one in my Wisconsin TR-10D. Naturally I stayed up late putting it on right, setting the timing and generally cleaning up the problems I had created in the past. I mowed for a little this morning and am amazed at a couple of things: 1) how much more power it has now that the magneto is healthy and the spark is reliable - my tractor seat guess is about double what it had before; 2) I am amazed that it even ran before. I'm pretty sure I ruint the old flywheel by over-tightening the nut over the course of 15 years of use, not realizing that over-tightening would eventually split the tapered steel hub by cramming it on the crankshaft too hard. It's a testimony to Wisconsin design and construction that I could even use the tractor with the flywheel cracked and sloppy on the crank.

Now let's see if I can attach a picture of the old gal.  Oops, better try for a not-sideways picture.P1000761.JPG

• Bolens 1000 and OldBuzzard have said thanks

#22 Oregon_Bolens OFFLINE  

Oregon_Bolens
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 149 Thanks
  • 171 posts

Posted July 13, 2013 - 02:16 PM

Nice work, glad you found a flywheel that worked. I'd be all smiles too!

#23 Austen OFFLINE  

Austen
  • Member No: 33768
  • 855 Thanks
  • 567 posts

Posted July 17, 2013 - 04:57 PM

Welcome to the club and nice machine!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: flywheel