• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Always learning something!

• Member No: 8172
  • 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted June 16, 2013 - 07:54 AM

It's safe to say I've been a son longer than I've been a father but being a father is now all I know and it's hard to conceptualize life any other way. There aren't many topics that elicit stronger words and emotions than a person's experience (or lack there of) with their own "Father"............

Adopted Father

Father in Heaven

Foster Father

Great Grandfather

Holy Father

My personal opinion is that those who can openly and honestly refer to our "Fathers" as "Dad" had the best of the best. What do I mean? Well, all it takes to become a "Father" is to take an egg, add a sperm and sit back and wait for 36 weeks. To be a Dad however is an entirely different ball game. So, in honor of Father's Day (AKA "Dad's Day) I'd like to start a post that generates discussion and stories about your thoughts regarding the differences between between being a Dad and a Father as well as your experience being raised by a "Dad" or a "Father". I look forward to hearing your thoughts and sharing my own experience as this day progresses.

P.S. To give you a clue about my relationship with my dad I like to refer to today as "Dad's Day". He's the best!

• olcowhand, Alc, hamman and 6 others have said thanks

#2 Cat385B OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,338 Thanks
  • 8,688 posts

Posted June 16, 2013 - 08:09 AM

I still miss my dad as much today as I did 5 years ago.

grandpa 08 033.jpg

Diagnosed with a brain tumor late 2007, my parents moved in with us after an unsuccessful surgery in early January 2008. We were able to care for him here until early March.

• olcowhand, Alc, hamman and 5 others have said thanks

#3 olcowhand OFFLINE  

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,244 Thanks
  • 29,698 posts

Posted June 16, 2013 - 09:01 AM

Some of my Sisters are taking Dad out to dinner today.  I am tired from our bike trip & needed to till my garden before rains get here and thought of staying home.  BUT with Dad at almost 88, I know my time with him is limited, and if I stayed home today & something happened to Dad, I'd never forgive myself for missing his last Father's Day.  So garden is tilled & I'm hitting the shower to go with all them to dinner!  :thumbs:   Hoping he's here for many many more, but you never know.

And yes, my father is a true "DAD"!   :D

• hamman, Moosetales, LilysDad and 2 others have said thanks

#4 hamman OFFLINE  

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,528 Thanks
  • 2,552 posts

Posted June 16, 2013 - 09:29 AM

Great Idea Moosetales. I to would like to extend a " Happy Dads Day" to all of the dads out there. My dad was the best. He always had time for us even though he worked 40+ hours a week most of his life it was to provide for us. He borrowed a friends Gibson tractor with tiller steering and a dozer blade to level out some ground next to the house to make a drivewa. As a 10 rold he put me on the tractor showed me how to drive it and sid have fun. My brothers and I (one older and one younger) used that tractor all summer to work (play) the ground to a level place. When it was time for dad to finish he never said how bad we did all he said was"... good job now it's my turn..." To many stories to tell but there is one that I would like to share. WHen I was 10yrs old dad bought me a Marlin .410ga bolt action single shot shotgun. He taught me how to shoot it and how to respect it and it's capability. That fall in 1959 he took me Deer hunting with him. As we walked to the woods that morning, behind my aunt and uncles in Northern Michigan, we came across a Chickadee sitting on a limb in a tree. Dad said "shoot it" not wanting to question him I did as he said. I took aim squeezed the trigger and when the gun fired the bird fell from the tree. I was so proud that I had shot the bird. I turned to dad and I was expecting a big smile and a atta boy, instead with a stern face and voice he said"...why did you shoot that bird...?" I was confused, I told him because he had told me to shoot it. That is when dads lesson began. " Just because someone tells you to do something doesn't make it right.....I have taught you right from wrong and that we hunt for food not just to kill something.....as you grow up you need to make up your mind to do the right thing.....yes you did as I asked and you did nothing wrong by it , just remember.......actions have consequenses and that goes for all of your life..." I never forgot that. We lost dad on my birthday in 1995. Miss him every day and I am so glad I have his Garden tractor, who we named after him , to use  and remember him. Have a great day all of you  Dads out there. Roger. 

• olcowhand, Delmar, Moosetales and 3 others have said thanks

#5 Dieselcubmike OFFLINE  

• Member No: 11127
  • 1,325 Thanks
  • 1,509 posts

Posted June 16, 2013 - 10:21 AM

Happy fathers day to all the dads out there. May god bless you and everyone alike and take a moment to remember those who have left us behind for a better place.

• hamman, Moosetales and oldedeeres have said thanks

#6 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,461 Thanks
  • 2,527 posts

Posted June 16, 2013 - 11:29 AM

As Fathers, we have numerous responsibilities to fill. Some are hard to fill, others seem to be easy as they just come to us naturally. There are no perfect Fathers in this world, but we can all try and strive to do our best, and be all that we can be.

We need to be the protector of the family, and keep our family and household from harm and danger. We want our children to feel like they can hide behind us whenever they are scared. We want them to know that Daddy's are a security blanket whenever they need comfort and assurance. We aren't afraid to hold them and tell them that everything will be alright. 

We need to be the supporter, and provider. We aren't afraid to get dirty and work long hours, just so our children can have the best. Our main focus is not providing for our own best interest, but to strive and put our children's needs and wants first. We have a responsibility to encourage our children, and to boost their spirits whenever they have doubt. We need to show them that we are proud of them even if they fail.

We need to be a councilor and be willing to listen to their problems, hurts, and needs. We are the crutch that the are looking for, and we need to be strong and supporting, even though sometimes we don't always agree with their decisions or ideas. Sometimes we can have a solution, sometimes we can't. Just having the willingness to listen will go a long way. We must not be to quick to give advice, or to find a solution, but instead, give them the space required to let them figure it out on their own.

We need to be the teacher and the principal. We can show them all we know about life, and express to them what all we have been through in our lives even though they won't always understand the answers. We need to teach them right from wrong, and explain the consequences if they pick the wrong decision. We need to discipline at times, and even though it hurts us more than it hurts them, we must follow through and know that it's for their own good, and hope that they understand why.

As a Father, we must always show them that they are Loved. There must always be time for hugs and kisses, and there must always be time set aside for sharing. We as Fathers can easily get wrapped up with miscellaneous projects, and there are times when hugs and kisses just don't seem convenient, but we must make the time, as all it takes is for one time for us to say, "not right now", and we could open the door for resentment, which causes additional hurt. There are never enough "I Love You's". My oldest son just turned thirteen, and is at the stage of knowing it all, and thinks he's a grown man. However, each night before bed, he looks forward to me kissing him on his forehead and telling him I Love You, just before he goes to sleep. If there is a time that I may have forgotten, or I'm not home when he goes to bed, he is sure to remind me of it the next morning. Believe me, it's a Great feeling, and a sense of satisfaction to know that, even though he thinks he can make his own decisions, you are still missed, needed and loved.

I can't speak for all Fathers on this subject, but for me, I choose to take on a responsibility to show my children the love and commitment of our Heavenly Father. I try to show them his love for us, through my actions, prayer, and through my love for them. Christ gave his all for us, and I'm willing to give my all for them. Every night we sit down as a family for dinner, and we pray over the meal, and any needs that may need lifted up, and then we all say together, Amen. As we enjoy our meal together, Kathy and I listen to each one of our three kids, tell us about their day, sometimes are exciting, some not so much. But I try and give each of them my undivided attention, and try and show each of them that I'm interested in what they have to say. When they are excited, I get excited, when they hurt, I give them comfort, and when they are confused, I try and give guidance, or try to find a solution.

And lastly, we need to be a companion. I think it's safe to say that we as Fathers, want to be close to our kids, and want our kids to think of us, not only as Dad, but also as "Best Friends". They should be able to confide all of their secrets, wants, needs, and concerns to us, and know that what they tell us will safe and or fulfilled. I don't think any of us want our kids confiding in others, and taking a chance that they will be lead astray. We also need to be a good example, not just as a Dad, but also as a Loving Husband. Our kids watch us constantly, and they study our every moves. If we are a good Husband to our Wives, and show respect to our Wives, then we will earn respect and Love from our children.

I didn't mean to hi-jack the thread here, but more to challenge other Fathers out there to be the Best they can be. My Father and I weren't exactly close when I was young, nor even after I started my own family. I had to learn these things on my own, and after I became a Father, I decided that I want to give all of the Love and time I can for my kids. Work was the most important thing in my Dad's life when I was growing up, and he just never had the time to spend with me when I needed him the most. So I'm committed to giving every minute I can to my kids, and spend as long as it takes with them, to show them that I'm there for them no matter what. I'm not the perfect Dad in the world by any means, but I strive to be the best Father I can be to my Children, and can only hope that my example toward them will make them want to be as good as they can be when they become Fathers someday.

Edited by johndeereelfman, June 16, 2013 - 11:31 AM.

#7 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,119 Thanks
  • 5,668 posts

Posted June 16, 2013 - 11:35 AM

I'm 51 and still call him "Daddy"!

#8 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted June 16, 2013 - 11:38 AM

I still have my Dad, and even tho I don't have children of my On my way!, I do have a stepson that treats me like a Dad.

My Dad is a bit to far to visit very often, so I will be staying home today. I am fixing a pork loin and collard greens from the garden.

#9 JDGuy445 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 10419
  • 356 Thanks
  • 428 posts

Posted June 16, 2013 - 11:53 AM

Don't know many folks as old as mine, that still work regularly and are still eager to hop up on the seat of a tractor or lift heavy tractor weights. Happy Dad's Day all! 

Attached Thumbnails

• sdfsdsfd.png

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,248 Thanks
  • 15,613 posts

Posted June 16, 2013 - 12:25 PM

Happy father's day to all of the dad's out there.

#11 hamman OFFLINE  

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,528 Thanks
  • 2,552 posts

Posted June 16, 2013 - 12:45 PM

All I can say is WOW!!! You guys are awsome. Roger.

• Moosetales and oldedeeres have said thanks

#12 Enginerod OFFLINE  

• Member No: 1748
  • 203 Thanks
  • 266 posts

Posted June 16, 2013 - 03:30 PM

I too was lucky enough to have a "Dad" and not just a father, he strongly believed in telling people you loved them everyday. I have two daughters and wouldnt trade being a Dad for anything. This has been the most rewarding experience of my life as well as the most trying at times. LOL. I lost my Dad on easter monday in 1998, its still hard to think of him without getting emotional. I was lucky enough to have him for 30 years though and I'm a better man for it. Heres to all the Dads out there!

#13 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

• Member No: 14008
  • 5,538 Thanks
  • 3,075 posts

Posted June 16, 2013 - 06:02 PM

Happy Fathers Day, boys. I'll just quote the truest thing my father said to me --- " this getting old isn't what it's cracked up to be!!"   Beyond that, he was the best father life had equipped him to be, but he was never a Dad .    Olde Deere # 2

• hamman and Moosetales have said thanks

#14 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,441 Thanks
  • 6,332 posts

Posted June 16, 2013 - 06:50 PM

Happy Father's day to all the dad's on this fine forum, especially mine, nyabc.

• hamman said thank you

#15 MH81 OFFLINE  

God Bless Those Who Served

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 26,692 Thanks
  • 28,336 posts

Posted June 17, 2013 - 02:22 PM

Happy Father's Day (belated) to all the Dads out there.
I got to spend the day with my Kids at a tractor show, Doesnt get much better than that.
  • olcowhand said thank you