#1 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,583 posts

Posted June 15, 2013 - 11:02 PM

I have two of the 12' X 20' shelter logic garage in a box shelters. One houses out 1992 Chev Silverado that we want to customize as our "Classic" vehicle. One of the shelters got a wind whip last spring and it was tossed around the back yard.sawmisc 089.JPG As it was during winter. After a spring windstorm. It got twisted and bent beyond repair. We took it apart and put it away. I have the new garage that now houses all of our tractors (8) all of my wood working equipment, wood, fishing boat and trailer and 3 four wheelers and during the winter our 2004 Chev. Duramax. Needless to say it is way to crowded. Now for the redo. We are going to take the frame of the shelter and shorten the height about 2 feet. I am going to build an extra truss for the center and we will put perlons on the trusses and cover it with steel roofing. We will place it behind the new garage. We are going to use 4' X 8' plywood for the sides and one end. I will build the other end with a door in it. During the summer I will put the fishing boat and GT implements in it. During the winter it will house all the GT implements and two of the unused GTs during the winter. I am going to reside the new garage in the spring and the siding off it will be used on the lowered shelter. It will be anchored in concrete and held fast to the ground. The roof is at a 6/12 pitch which will let the snow slide off of it. Putting the gts and implements and other items in it during the winter will free up a lot of space in the garge so I can use the wood tools. I know another project, but this has to be done. I can't stand not having room to work on projectsin the winter. i will have heat in there this year and that will make it better. Pictures as it progresses in the fall. Roger.

Attached Thumbnails

• 002.JPG

Edited by hamman, June 15, 2013 - 11:02 PM.

• Dieselcubmike and CADplans have said thanks

#2 CADplans OFFLINE  

CADplans
  • Member No: 35311
  • 219 Thanks
  • 213 posts

Posted June 15, 2013 - 11:30 PM

We will be waiting for the pics, I love shed builds!!

I got a army surplus tent frame, we sided it with 5V steel siding, screwed on.

shed_zpsf19e7364.jpg

Not a great pic, it is to the right of the tree.

I put it up as a walk-in shelter for the horse. We drove "T" fence posts in the ground 3 feet at each corner.

It has survived tornado type (80+mph) winds, the T posts really hold.

It is also attached to the wood fence with galvanized wire, but, the T posts have never moved.

Concrete is much better!!  :thumbs:

• hamman said thank you

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 16, 2013 - 06:02 AM

Storage is a big issue here as well. I like your plan to reuse the shelter and the metal roofing is a great idea! I built a lean-to onto my garage to put the firewood and re purposed the old wood shed which now holds the tiller, snowblowers, wheel barrows etc. That allowed me to stash the 314 in the main shed. Seems like musical chairs but I now have enough room in my garage to move and park the car without running into something. It is a lot of work to add space. I wish I had built the garage and shed much larger to start with.

• hamman said thank you

#4 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted June 16, 2013 - 09:03 AM

I made a rail-road tie foundation and used lag screws to hold it onto the foundation....Probably won't take too much wind, but it makes me feel a little better!

2012-11-04133728.jpg

• hamman said thank you

#5 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

• Contributor
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,583 posts

Posted October 22, 2013 - 10:08 AM

Well, winter is upon us and I still don't have the redo of this much past the stage that the frame is back up and it is standing again. Every time I get a bit of money up for it we have to use it for something else. Hope to have it partially covered in a week or so. Just don't have room for everything in the big garage and there isn't anything we are willing to get rid of. Will just have to start getting things back in storage like we did last year. Only takes a day to do it. Another small building would be very nice to have. If we can't get it done this winter we will be able to do it next spring. Pictures in a few days after it stops raining and ........sssnnnnooooowwwwiiiinggg! Hated to type that last word.   Roger.

• NUTNDUN said thank you

#6 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted October 22, 2013 - 01:59 PM

I would like to see how you make out with it. We really need to do something for a shed, pole building, metal car port or something for storage space. Be nice to put all the garden tractors and implements in it that are not being used to free up space in the garage. I am subscribed now so I will stay up to date with your progress.

• hamman said thank you

#7 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

• Contributor
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,583 posts

Posted October 22, 2013 - 02:30 PM

I will post pictures as it progresses. It just may not be as soon as I wanted. Thanks. Roger.