Hey we got a co-me-dian, lol

• Gtractor and Amigatec have said thanks

#18 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted June 15, 2013 - 07:55 PM

Don't know much about the Case GT's, but I think you got a very nice deal on a very nice GT!

• Gtractor said thank you

#19 CRFarnsworth ONLINE  

CRFarnsworth

• Contributor
  • Member No: 6275
  • 3,642 Thanks
  • 1,735 posts

Posted June 15, 2013 - 08:13 PM

:thumbs: Yea You got a good deal.  Find and Fix the problems and you got a GREAT DEAL. :thumbs:  :thumbs:  Now I'm jealous.  Rick

#20 gopher OFFLINE  

gopher

• Member No: 2755
  • 567 Thanks
  • 631 posts

Posted June 15, 2013 - 10:17 PM

Sounds like po had bad coil tried to keep a different coil from going bad. But really the old place in shroud is in the main air flow keeping it a bought as cool there as any where else on the motor.I had trouble with my onan 16 vacuum line collapsing that I replaced. I ended up putting a B&S pump on farther down the line.I think the original line is formed.and mine was apt to kinking.I caped the vacuum stub on old fuel pump and run gas line from new pump to the old one.     

#21 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted June 16, 2013 - 07:48 AM

Are the heat shields still in place around the carb area?

#22 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,624 Thanks
  • 3,917 posts

Posted June 16, 2013 - 08:14 AM

Yes, there are shields just inside the exhaust manifolds. 

#23 gopher OFFLINE  

gopher

• 567 Thanks
  • 631 posts

Posted June 16, 2013 - 06:58 PM

Does the fuel line have clamps on it? You might be sucking air and firing off of spray  catching the fuel  back up to carb. What type of carburetor do you have. Different ones for onan. 

#24 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,624 Thanks
  • 3,917 posts

Posted June 20, 2013 - 10:57 PM

There are hose clamps on the fuel line but one is a funky spring loaded deal instead of a screw type - I will definately replace it.   The carb is the square one with the diaphram pump on the side. 

In talking with a friend two nights ago that knows the tractor and knows the original owner [he tried to buy this tractor a couple years back] he was telling me the original owner put a brand new carb on it trying to correct the problem. 

I'm sure that new carb cost more than I gave for the tractor! 

There are two hose barbs on the side of the diaphram pump.  The incoming fuel line is hooked to the bottom one.  The top fitting is just open - is that correct?   There is a small amount of vacuum being produced out that top fitting while running.  My thought is it should have a small amount of pressure as the diaphram "breathes" 

blowing on one side - vacuum on the other  

any thoughts  ??? 

Edited by Gtractor, June 20, 2013 - 11:02 PM.

#25 gopher OFFLINE  

gopher

• 567 Thanks
  • 631 posts

Posted June 21, 2013 - 12:00 AM

You said it runs fine with hood open,Did you try taking off the hood and mow with it off to see if it acting up under load? did you check your  cap vent? New carb should be new fuel pump . You could take pieces of cardboard in between gas line and motor just don't bend it to much and collapse the air pockets in the cardboard and mow if it doesn't act up you need to get heat shielding for hose. Don.t leave in to long might become fire hazard. I'll look tomorrow I thought my top barb was caped.    

#26 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,624 Thanks
  • 3,917 posts

Posted June 21, 2013 - 10:38 PM

I have since found out it will still act up while mowing with hood removed - it just takes longer.   The cap is vented.  There is another hose split lengthwise and installed over the fuel line to act as insulation.  Haven't had much time to mess with it yet.  I like the idea of the short term cardboard insulation.   My 1965 I-H Scout has an asbestos plate under the carb for protection. 

Thanks for the ideas Gopher!

#27 machinist OFFLINE  

machinist
  • Member No: 29663
  • 78 Thanks
  • 100 posts

Posted June 22, 2013 - 08:37 AM

I have fought this same problem for FOUR YEARS on my 448, to no avail. (I described that in another thread.) Last thing I did was to put hose clamps on everything, but no difference. I don't know what to do with the tractor. I have WAAAY to much money in it to sell it and get it back. So, it is sitting in my garage looking nice in new paint and 90% restored. It just WON'T RUN!

Sorry you bought into the same problem. If I had the answers to it, I'd be fixing mine.

I hate that tractor. All I have to do is LOOK at it and it makes me mad. Worst money I ever spent. I really hope you can get this licked.

I had the same problem with my 446, until I got some replacement heat shields on the engine and it went away. But the 448 doesn't respond to anything I've done to it. Bad fuel pump I think, although it is new.

What I've done so far:
Repaired heat shields, rebuilt carb, new fuel pump, 3 new gas filters, new transparent fuel line from tank to carb(I can SEE that gas is not getting to the carb), cleaned the gas tank twice (no dirt in it), blew out the tank fitting and checked that there is NOT any tank screen inside to get plugged up, drilled out the gas cap vents, drained the tank a 3rd time and put fresh gas in with Seafoam added, assured that the gas line is not pinched or kinked, etc..

I can unhook the gas line at the carb and lower it near the floor and drain 3 gallons from the tank in just a few minutes. NO obstructions in that part of it.

I've had the gas tank off so many times the bolt holes on the whole back end of this tractor are getting worn out. I have killed 2 new batteries cranking the thing, charging the battery, cranking it more trying to diagnose it. Now, I just leave the battery charger on it for a day before I try to work on it. I probably have 80 hours or more fooling around with this. I've worked on small engines and large ones successfully for going on 60 years, until this one.

I initially gave far too much for it, $900 for the tractor, mower deck, and tiller. Then I rebuilt the tiller hydraulic motor, put new bearings and drive chain and new paint on it. I have been able to use the tiller for about half an hour before the tractor died and had to be towed into the garage. I spent another $1,000 on new rear Ag tires, new front tri rib tires, sandblasting, painting, new decals, new hydraulic hoses and couplings, rebuilding the steering, replacing the muffler (heat problem), repairing the oil cooler and mounting, and lots of other small things, like starter solenoid, starter cable, ignition switch, lights, and I don't remember what else. Probably over 2 grand in it now, but I haven't added it up.

It is a money pit. Still won't run.

I hate this tractor. I hate this tractor. I hate this tractor. I hate this tractor. I hate this tractor.

Edited by machinist, June 22, 2013 - 09:13 AM.

#28 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted June 22, 2013 - 08:44 AM

I believe I would put an electric fuel pump on her.  Place the fuel pump as close to the fuel tank as possible.  The fuel won't get  hot at the tank, so it should push the gas into the carb  even if gas near the carb gets almost boiling hot.  Vaporizing at the pump is where the trouble comes in.  That's why the vacuum pumps built into the carbs give problems.  

#29 machinist OFFLINE  

machinist
  • Member No: 29663
  • 78 Thanks
  • 100 posts

Posted June 22, 2013 - 09:37 AM

It won't suck gas COLD, after sitting for a month in the garage.   That's how I killed a couple batteries, trying to get it to suck gas cold to get it started.   But the ugly old tractor sitting next to it works just fine with the same Marvel Schebler carb and pump.  Identical setup, only one works and the other never has.

Everything about this tractor sucks, EXCEPT for the fuel pump.

Edited by machinist, June 22, 2013 - 09:39 AM.

#30 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted June 22, 2013 - 11:50 AM

Machinist, sounds like the float is getting stuck in the closed position.