daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted June 14, 2013 - 08:45 PM

Due to some unforeseen circumstances, I might be getting an Ford F-250.  It's more by default than going out looking for one.  I have always loved them, but considered them too much truck for my needs.

I tow a 16 foot boat, at 14 foot  landscape trailer and haul a light canoe.  I don't tow these on a regular basis, only once in a while.  I don't plan to plow snow.  I want a truck to last for at least ten years, fifteen or twenty would be nice.  

The truck is a 2011 with under 20000 miles on it.  It's that gas engine.   It's a worker, XL supercab with four wheel drive.

I know they get lousy mileage for just driving around, but I'm not that concerned about it.  I did plan on getting a new Ram 1500 with the six cylinder in a few years if they proved good.  Now, I might be able to get the 250 at a decent price and help solve a problem too.

What do you all think about F-250's for normal everyday use with occasional hauling?

• Texas Deere and Horse and JRJ have said thanks

#2 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted June 14, 2013 - 08:49 PM

That last 250 I was in was quite a bit stiffer of a ride compared to a 150, or my Ram 1500.

that was about 5-6 years ago. Things might have changed.

• daytime dave said thank you

#3 WNYTractorTinkerer OFFLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,319 Thanks
  • 4,665 posts

Posted June 14, 2013 - 09:00 PM

A 2011 F 250 should go by anything but a gas station with the 6.2 L engine!!  The Fords have come a long way in the last few years as far as power and ride/comfort.  That thing should pull just about anything you hook to it!

#4 A.C.T. OFFLINE  

A.C.T.

Another Classic Tractor

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 11085
  • 2,363 Thanks
  • 2,496 posts

Posted June 14, 2013 - 09:17 PM

I think you will love it. All the manufactures have came a long way with technology. You won't outgrow this truck if you ever upgrade trailers etc. My Ford is only 22 years old!

#5 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,664 Thanks
  • 6,480 posts

Posted June 14, 2013 - 09:37 PM

What's the problem?? If you like the color, Buy it!   Modern trucks are equipped and ride like new cars now days and bigger one is good for trailer hauling. 1/2 tons don't make it for trailers. I have one (half-ton I mean)  and haul my tractors around and it works at it with full loads and is squirmy on the regular tires while hauling. I don't worry about gas mileage either, too much emphasis on that now days. Fords seem roomier inside too than the GM's. The windsheilds are farther away and feels roomier.

#6 HydroHarold OFFLINE  

HydroHarold
  • Member No: 9622
  • 702 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted June 14, 2013 - 11:12 PM

If you're considering "used", I bought a '70 new.  Ask away.:D

• daytime dave and boyscout862 have said thanks

#7 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted June 14, 2013 - 11:33 PM

A I/2 ton is a pick and a 3/4 ton is a truck. You will notice the difference in the ride. Without knowing the specifics of the suspension package and axle ratios it will be tough to make much of a comment. If it's got a good hitch on it you should be able to move it. :thumbs:     Let us know what you think of it if you get it. 

#8 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted June 15, 2013 - 12:05 AM

Dave, I can tell you that the F-250 chassis will hold for over 500,000 miles of work with proper maintenance, I'm on my 3rd one to reach those miles. All of mine have had the 7.3 L Powerstroke Diesel in them. My current one is a 1999 with 510,000 mi. on it and Dad's 2001 has 265,000 on it. We've ran Ford 250 and 350 Dually's since 1988. I can't say personally about the Gas engines, but have a couple friends who have and 2000 model Gas 250 with close to 300,000 mi. and 2002 with just over 200,000 mi. on them with no issues. I'm not sure what I am going to do when the 99 gives up since Ford quit using the 7.3, as the 6.0L Diesel is very unreliable and the newest Diesel engine isn't proven in my mind yet. Just my humble opinion.

• daytime dave, backwoods and boyscout862 have said thanks

#9 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted June 15, 2013 - 04:29 AM

Well it's a Ford to start with. I don't do Fords.

#10 shorty OFFLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,570 Thanks
  • 3,951 posts

Posted June 15, 2013 - 05:51 AM

The place I used to work at ran all Fords. Personal opinion is the cab feels bigger, but the turning radius feels bigger than GM. Boss mans saying was GM is a ladies truck and with Dodge you got to do what the name says, Dodge away. That was his personal opinion. In the the earlier 2000s  Triton, there was spark plug issues that got ugly. Did Ford get that taken care of by now? The local garage refused to touch any thing to do with a spark plug, boss had to go to the dealership. We had spark plugs blow out and what a mess. On the flip side my brothers never had a problem with spark plugs. It makes me wonder if we just overworked the engine. 

#11 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted June 15, 2013 - 05:54 AM

Fords do turn tighter with the Twin-I beam, but the Twin-I beam is probably the worse front suspension ever designed, a straight axle is better.

#12 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 15, 2013 - 06:17 AM

Dave, according to Consumer Reports all the HD pickups will ride harder than the regular versions. For 2011 they thought the Ford had the best ride of all the HD pickups.  As said by someone above these are work trucks. I'd take it for a test drive and see how it feels for your everyday needs. It won't limit you for towing but will be a bit hard on fuel. I just got done buying a new car so I have the CR annual car guides right here by the computer.The reliability for the 2011 F250 looks good accept for fuel system issues in the diesel and minor transmission problems. The diesel was the one they tested and reported reliability on. For the gas powered 150 2011 looks good accept some minor problems with the audio system. The big problem with diesels in the latest cars seems to be the fuel system. It runs at extreme pressures to help meet emissions regulations and fuel pump problems are extremely expensive to fix. I was looking at a VW TDI wagon but if the fuel pump grenades it wrecks the entire fuel system and can cost up to 10K$ to repair. 

The big expense with the gas f250 would be fuel cost. it's going to be major and may turn a good deal into a long term drain on your wallet. 

#13 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,755 Thanks
  • 8,923 posts

Posted June 15, 2013 - 07:30 AM

I have a friend that got a 2013 last fall, his dad bought two for farm work vehicles. Crew cab, short box, cloth, power but not loaded, no navigation or anything fancy. I think the seats are better than my '04 Chevy. His 6.2 has more ponies than my 6.0, (385) so no shortage of power. No issues pulling what you listed. He has 15,000 miles on it now, no issues. Oil change intervals are really out there, like 10,000 miles I think. He gets 12 mpg with it, he has a lead foot. He pulls a 36' livestock trailer hauling cattle to the pasture and back, and he has a 36' gooseneck that he can haul 12 round bales on. After seeing a load on that truck this winter, I suggested air bags would be a good idea. I doubt you planning on hauling 12 7x6 round bales, though.

When I first saw it, I looked it over real good and rode/drove it for 4 hours. Even with the base seats, more comfortable than mine. I think the ride on it was comparable to mine, if not slightly better. (mine is a 04 crew cab 2500 4x4) The build on it is better than mine. The frame and suspension look to be more rugged. His 4wd selector is a dial on the dash, it shifted just fine when used. His traction control can be turned off, which is nice in the winter. Traction control nice when starting from a stop on ice, not so nice when doing 55 on glare ice. His towing mirrors are nice.

After driving his, I would buy one if I was in the market.

332897-0-medium.jpg

#14 shorty OFFLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,570 Thanks
  • 3,951 posts

Posted June 15, 2013 - 08:25 AM

Fords do turn tighter with the Twin-I beam, but the Twin-I beam is probably the worse front suspension ever designed, a straight axle is better.

The first pickup I drove regular had the twin I-beam, tires just didn't last too long on the front end. but it did have a nice ride for a 1 ton.

#15 Walkinman1 OFFLINE  

Walkinman1
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 34918
  • 713 Thanks
  • 552 posts

Posted June 15, 2013 - 08:34 AM

The 4 valve 5.4 and V10 had the most issues out of all their gas motors. Haven't heard much about the 6.2 (which is usually a good thing) so I'd just be careful what engine you get. Other than that they are good solid trucks. I over work an older Ford on a daily basis and although I've had some issues with it I believe those are my fault for over working it...
  • daytime dave and shorty have said thanks