17 replies to this topic

#1 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted June 14, 2013 - 08:59 AM

While working on my toolbar, I broke the table support on my drill press. :wallbanging:

I have had this great little press since 1998, it's become a faithful friend and I hate to scrap it.

Right now cash is and issue or I would go out and get a new one.

This is the casting that goes around the mast, broke in three places.

The Press is a 12" Omaha Industrial Tools 12 speed benchtop model.

Any idea where I can get another casting?

My undrstanding is that 80% of all drill presses are made in 3 factories in Taiwan.

I suspect if I could find a comparable better known brand I could buy a replacement?

But have no idea what brands are comparable.

Anybody have any ideas??

This is the second time I have broken this. The first time it just cracked and I repaired it.

This time it blew apart and dropped a 5 ft 3X3 1/2" Angle iron and just missed my foot.

Honest I don't think I should be tough enough to break castings like that!! :wallbanging:

If I get it fixed this time I am going to put a Jack on the base I can run up to the table to support the table and take the load off the casting.!!

Edited by JD DANNELS, June 14, 2013 - 09:04 AM.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#2 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,784 Thanks
  • 7,539 posts

Posted June 14, 2013 - 09:08 AM

Is this the base that bolted to the bench? If it is you could make one from steel plate and angle iron since it wouldn't need to be perfectly perpendicular. If its the work table, I'd carefully measure the diameter of the mast and use it as an excuse to attend a few big flea markets. You should be able to find one that way. You could also check with Harbor Freight and compare diamensions. Good Luck, Rick

#3 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted June 14, 2013 - 09:15 AM

Broke The Most Used Tool In My Shop!

Before opening this thread I was thinking, how do you break a hammer :D

• IamSherwood, js5020, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#4 Guest_gravely-power_*

Guest_gravely-power_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted June 14, 2013 - 09:29 AM

I thought it was going to be a broken hand.   :thumbs:

• boyscout862 and WNYTractorTinkerer have said thanks

#5 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted June 14, 2013 - 09:30 AM

You have a point John!! The second most used tool in the shop is my 3 pound  Drilling Hammer. It had a nice short handle and I can do very precise work with it.  One qick tap with some mass behind it does more, than a lot of pounding with a small hammer.

My High School Machine Shop Teacher, Lyle Gatch always called it a "Fine Adjustment Tool".

Funny how some things stick with you for 45 yrs?

I am amazed at how much of what I learned in that class has stuck with me, at a time when I was most interested in Cars and Girls.  I wonder if todays shops would let a student mill the flathead on a 51 Desoto to raise the compression?

Edited by JD DANNELS, June 14, 2013 - 09:37 AM.

• boyscout862 and LilysDad have said thanks

#6 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted June 14, 2013 - 09:33 AM

Is this the base that bolted to the bench? If it is you could make one from steel plate and angle iron since it wouldn't need to be perfectly perpendicular. If its the work table, I'd carefully measure the diameter of the mast and use it as an excuse to attend a few big flea markets. You should be able to find one that way. You could also check with Harbor Freight and compare diamensions. Good Luck, Rick

No it's the casting that goes around the mast with the Rack and pinion to adjust the height of the table.

#7 jd.rasentrac OFFLINE  

jd.rasentrac

Admirer of DEERE enjoyneering and design!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10327
  • 4,444 Thanks
  • 3,991 posts

Posted June 14, 2013 - 09:36 AM

thanx heavens, I thought it was the bottle opener :smilewink:  j/k

Edited by jd.rasentrac, June 14, 2013 - 09:36 AM.

• John@Reliable, JDBrian, js5020 and 1 other said thanks

#8 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 14, 2013 - 09:59 AM

It's likely you can find a replacement part from a newer drill press as long as the mast diameter and Press size are the same.

#9 WNYTractorTinkerer OFFLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,315 Thanks
  • 4,663 posts

Posted June 14, 2013 - 10:26 AM

Sounds like a toughie for sure.. I've had some luck welding cast up and adding metal to the mix to firm things up..  I know where you are at without the drill press..  I burnt up the motor in my dad's little benchtop drill years ago and finally found a comparable replacement for under $200  (The whole thing probably cost my dad a C-note 'in the day')  I loved that little thing and it came in so handy to get me outta a lot of messy situations so no I have it back up and running and it's a great thing!  As far as the most-used tool in my shop the drill press is way @ the back of the pack!  Hand tools reign supreme in my 'man-cave' as I tinker with all kinds of stuff from cars to tractors and generators and even pool pumps!  

How the heck did you break the support while drilling??  Sounds like the bit was way dull!  Knowing the limitations keeps stuff like this from happening!  Ask me how I know?  I was trying to press apart a brake rotor & bearing way back in ~ 1976 on the hydraulic press and it was taking a lot of pressure to get the dang thing to move!  It was barely moving and I didn't notice that the part wasn't moving-  The press's top I-beams were bending because I put so much pressure on it!  Dad sure was PO'ed when he saw that one..  :(  The press is still in service today with the bent top!  (Turns out I wasn't pressing the correct place-  OOPS!)   :wallbanging:   I was lucky the thing didn't disintegrate and blow up in my face!   Live and learn I did..  

#10 JD DANNELS ONLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted June 14, 2013 - 11:04 AM

Sounds like a toughie for sure.. I've had some luck welding cast up and adding metal to the mix to firm things up..  I know where you are at without the drill press..  I burnt up the motor in my dad's little benchtop drill years ago and finally found a comparable replacement for under $200  (The whole thing probably cost my dad a C-note 'in the day')  I loved that little thing and it came in so handy to get me outta a lot of messy situations so no I have it back up and running and it's a great thing!  As far as the most-used tool in my shop the drill press is way @ the back of the pack!  Hand tools reign supreme in my 'man-cave' as I tinker with all kinds of stuff from cars to tractors and generators and even pool pumps!  

How the heck did you break the support while drilling??  Sounds like the bit was way dull!  Knowing the limitations keeps stuff like this from happening!  Ask me how I know?  I was trying to press apart a brake rotor & bearing way back in ~ 1976 on the hydraulic press and it was taking a lot of pressure to get the dang thing to move!  It was barely moving and I didn't notice that the part wasn't moving-  The press's top I-beams were bending because I put so much pressure on it!  Dad sure was PO'ed when he saw that one..  :(  The press is still in service today with the bent top!  (Turns out I wasn't pressing the correct place-  OOPS!)   :wallbanging:   I was lucky the thing didn't disintegrate and blow up in my face!   Live and learn I did..  

I was drilling 1/2" holes on 1/4" thick angle. I guess I did not take small enough steps and got a little heavy handed??

The Bit was a new one and sharp enough but that angle was hard!

One more lesson in paitence??

When the table broke, 5 ft of heavy angle, two roller stands and all the parts crashing to the floor and me scrambling to get away without being hit, would have made a great video!! :smilewink: 

Edited by JD DANNELS, June 14, 2013 - 11:09 AM.

• boyscout862, WNYTractorTinkerer and Marty'70 have said thanks

#11 lyall OFFLINE  

lyall

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2180
  • 1,747 Thanks
  • 1,398 posts

Posted June 14, 2013 - 11:18 AM

Sorry to here about your drill press

I checked craigslist and found a floor model drill press for $100 in Pleasant Hill http://desmoines.cra...3848764924.html

it a Craftsman

and another in Runnells for $150 http://desmoines.cra...3865772116.html

#12 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,784 Thanks
  • 7,539 posts

Posted June 14, 2013 - 11:34 AM

Go for the Craftsman immediately. Save the other for only jobs that can be done on the base. Good Luck, Rick

#13 Marty'70 OFFLINE  

Marty'70

I didn't do it! Unless you have paperwork to back it up

• Member No: 72105
  • 731 Thanks
  • 633 posts

Posted June 14, 2013 - 03:58 PM

:bigrofl: me too! :bigrofl:

#14 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted June 14, 2013 - 04:28 PM

You could try and repair it, you have two basic options; use a 7018, or braze it. If you use a stick welder, you will want to preheat it, either in a kitchen oven, or propane grill (obviously there are better ways, but I don't know what you have to work with). Then weld it, and burry it in sand so it cools slow. Once it is cool you will want to pien it... A lot. That will release the tension in it.
  • MH81 and IamSherwood have said thanks

#15 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted June 14, 2013 - 04:28 PM

That was my exact thought too!

Good luck on finding what you need to get your drill press up & running again!