6 replies to this topic

#1 willy1094 OFFLINE  

willy1094
  • Member No: 15926
  • 38 Thanks
  • 72 posts

Posted June 14, 2013 - 01:58 AM

Hello all,

I've been repainting my Jim Dandy and am starting to put it back together.  I was trucking along and then noticed the little spacer that goes on the transmission was still setting on the counter lol.  I'm thinking it goes on the back of the trasmission but am not 100%.  I'm going to have to tear it down to put it back on. 

Another question I have is about the gaskets on the driveshaft tube (the one between the tube and the rear end and the transmission).  What purpose do these serve?  Mine are worn out and thought about just leaving them out instead of making new ones. 

Thanks for any info!

#2 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,629 posts

Posted June 14, 2013 - 06:40 AM

Not sure what the spacer  is your talking about ,maybe someone else will . I think tour going to want to make gaskets for the  tubes because there isn't a seal on the back of the transmission and any excessive  oil will drain into the rear . so without you might get an oil leak or on the other hand water working it's way into the rear !  

#3 countryboy88 OFFLINE  

countryboy88
  • Member No: 8702
  • 77 Thanks
  • 132 posts

Posted June 14, 2013 - 12:30 PM

Looking at my owners manual it goes on the back.  Good luck and :wewantpics:

#4 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted June 14, 2013 - 03:13 PM

I agree with Al, you will likely want the gaskets in there. Like he said, there are no seals. No seals will cause any water that gets in to go into the differential, then when that gets full it will go into the final drives, and they will fill with water. Then it will rust the insides, and when it freezes it can crack the casing.

Here is a breakdown of the tranny.

Attached Thumbnails

• image16051.jpg

#5 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,668 Thanks
  • 6,486 posts

Posted June 14, 2013 - 09:00 PM

If you have a sealed bearing in trans, oil won't leak out. Water may get in drive-line tho, as mentioned. Unless you changed the trans bearings, most likely not sealed type. That spacer just keeps the inner shaft from shifting forward enough to pull out of the couplers at the trans or rear-end. OR, way out to end of them and then stripping out the splines there. Making that gasket is easy. Take the tube off and stand it on the gasket paper you buy and draw around it, and in the bolt holes for marking them and cut out with scissors. I use gasket cutter punches for holes, but a fine blade should work if careful. the inner diameter isn't critical, just cut leaving enough for the gasket to do the job.

#6 willy1094 OFFLINE  

willy1094
  • Member No: 15926
  • 38 Thanks
  • 72 posts

Posted June 15, 2013 - 03:07 AM

Thanks for the input everyone!  I went ahead and put gaskets back in and put the spacer back on.  Just FYI, I went ahead and tried to put the spacer on the front input shaft and it would not fit so it only fits the rear.  I only started this because I wrecked the tractor and thought it would have been done by now lol.  I don't have a lot of time to work on it though.  I'll get some pics up asap.

Thanks again!

• Alc said thank you

#7 OBIE OFFLINE  

OBIE
  • Member No: 52838
  • 0 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted January 18, 2014 - 12:53 PM

Thanks for the infor adding 2nd tranny in spring!