11 replies to this topic

#1 sparty4601 OFFLINE  

sparty4601
  • Member No: 38265
  • 2 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted June 13, 2013 - 03:34 PM

Hello all and greetings from Michigan.

My tractor is giving me issues, money has been tight and I've been try to bandage this thing together this mowing season.  My tractor has been out of commision on and off now for the past 3 weeks.  With the amount of rain we've received, my lawn is less than desirealbe. 

So here is my goal, A- get mower running, knock down the grass, mow again, and probalby mow a 3rd time.  Take the tractor in and have a professional look at it.

So here's my problem.  It's electrical.  I'm sure the solenoid is bad, I've been able to jump start it a couple of times but now it just barely turns over, the other day it started right up with a jump (of course murphy's law- flat tire), so some days I can jump it, other days I can't  When I do jump it I'm going from my runnning car to the neg post on the tractor, pos to the starter.

Any ideas on why it's so moody?  Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

#2 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,628 Thanks
  • 2,583 posts

Posted June 13, 2013 - 04:06 PM

What kind of mower and how old? Charge the battery. Check to see if the ignition switch is working properly. When jumping the battery you need to do it the same as you would a car or truck. Positive to positive and negative to negative. If the battery is no good it wount start thr tractor.  Lets start there. Roger. 

• sparty4601 said thank you

#3 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,310 Thanks
  • 4,661 posts

Posted June 13, 2013 - 04:28 PM

Step TWO-  Clean your main cable connections!

• hamman and sparty4601 have said thanks

#4 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,298 Thanks
  • 2,332 posts

Posted June 13, 2013 - 08:09 PM

:welcometogttalk:

Does your tractor have a OHV Briggs & Stratton Intek engine in it?

Reason I'm asking is,the valves get out of adjustment on Intek OHV engines and it disables the compression release.All you will end up doing is cooking the starter if you jump start it.

Edited by EricFromPa, June 13, 2013 - 08:11 PM.

#5 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,702 Thanks
  • 8,557 posts

Posted June 13, 2013 - 10:00 PM

First off let me welcome you to GTtalk.  Please give us some more details as to the make, model, year of the tractor and what engine is installed.  Pic's are always a good idea so we can get a visual of what you are talking about. 

Jumping from the car to the starter is not a good idea, as mentioned you will burn up the starter. 

• hamman, boyscout862 and sparty4601 have said thanks

#6 HydroHarold OFFLINE  

HydroHarold
  • Member No: 9622
  • 702 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted June 13, 2013 - 10:04 PM

Step TWO-  Clean your main cable connections!

At BOTH ends! (Especially the neg-ground/frame connection and check to see if the cables are still "cable" inside the insulation.  Battery corrosion does funny stuff inside cabling.

#7 sparty4601 OFFLINE  

sparty4601
  • 2 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted June 14, 2013 - 07:11 AM

Thanks for all of the comments, I believe I've answered everything that you've stated.

The tractor is a Huskee 18/hr with a B&S Intek engin.  I have charged the battery, cleaned the ground to the frame, wire brushed the terminals.  I'm wondering if it is compression related?  I know a lot of guys here on the forum do that themselves, but that's way over my head.

I was really hoping for one more start before taking it in...  

• hamman said thank you

#8 sparty4601 OFFLINE  

sparty4601
  • 2 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted June 14, 2013 - 07:25 AM

Sorry meant 18HP, it's about 4yrs old I believe, it was given to me.

• hamman said thank you

#9 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,310 Thanks
  • 4,661 posts

Posted June 14, 2013 - 07:26 AM

Forgot to welcome you aboard yesterday Sparty!  

Load test the battery as you've gone through the wiring connections..  New ones out of the box have been bad at times.  

If that's OK, and it still cranks slow-  Try turning the motor by hand..  I drive belt hanging up or something mechanically making the engine hard to turn will cause your trouble.

Someone above asked if it was an OHV engine which it is..  It may be as simple as a valve adjustment..  There are how-to videos in youtube how to do that..

Lastly, I'd remove the starter and bench test and clean/lube it up..  Also many videos on YT..

All I got..

Good Luck! 

#10 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,450 Thanks
  • 6,618 posts

Posted June 14, 2013 - 07:28 AM

Sounds like what you and the members said is what I would have done so far. At this point I would put a volt meter right at the starter stud and the starter case and see what reading your getting while trying to start , , if you have battery voltage there and the starter doesn't work maybe a bad brush or other internal starter problem , get it a little tap with a hammer just in case it's just a brush maybe you'll get lucky. If the voltage drops you'll have to see if it's the engine mechanical or a bad starter ,  try turning the engine by hand it if moves ok might be a bad starter , they there are other ideas and am sure you'll hear them

#11 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,298 Thanks
  • 2,332 posts

Posted June 14, 2013 - 08:54 AM

Set the Intake Valve lash to .004-.006 Set the Exhaust Valve lash to .006-.008.

I've set them both at .004-.006 before but carbon build up on the exhaust valve will burn off and close up the gap to much and you'll end up burning up the exhaust valve.

• sparty4601 said thank you

#12 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,702 Thanks
  • 8,557 posts

Posted June 14, 2013 - 09:59 AM

I can't remember if the B&S Intek engine has the starter solenoid as part of the starter or separate.  I'm thinking if you are jumping it with the positive lead at the starter then you may be bypassing the solenoid in which case that could be your problem.  Do like ALC suggested and take a voltage reading at the starter connections while cranking. If you don't have voltage then check to see if you have voltage at the solenoid wire from the ignition switch. If you don't have power on that wire then it is probably the switch and if you do then the culprit is probably the solenoid.  Also like suggested earlier do a load test on the battery, as a rule of thumb you need 12.8 volts to kick that starter over.

• boyscout862 and sparty4601 have said thanks