• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 jerryclunsford OFFLINE  

jerryclunsford

• Member No: 756
  • 0 Thanks
  • 25 posts

Posted November 06, 2010 - 05:15 PM

How do you adjust the mow deck on John Deere STX46? The left hand side has a j-bolt but the right is bolted to the bracket with no adjustment. When you adjust the J-bolt only one side comes up how do you get the other side to move? I really need to get it adjusted currently it only about 2 /15 inches for the cutting height and I like to cut my St. Augustine taller than that.
Help Please.
Jerry C Lunsford

#2 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted November 06, 2010 - 07:49 PM

I am not familiar with the John Deere linkages but you should adjust your cutting height with either your lift lever whether it be manual, electric or hydraulic. It would seem that you would want to adjust the left side to make the deck set level. I don't know if your deck has rollers or not.

Do you happen to have any pictures of the linkages?

#3 jerryclunsford OFFLINE  

jerryclunsford

• 0 Thanks
  • 25 posts

Posted November 06, 2010 - 08:11 PM

stx46 deck adjustment.jpg
The only Images I have are from John Deere's parts pages. Here it looks like a slot for the bolt #47 in the bracket on the deck However on the actual deck it appears to be a hole not a slot.

Edited by jerryclunsford, November 06, 2010 - 08:22 PM.

#4 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted November 06, 2010 - 08:14 PM

Does the deck sit level? Mainly do the blades sit level when the tractor is on a level surface? Is it manual height adjustment or electric or hydraulic?

#5 jerryclunsford OFFLINE  

jerryclunsford

• 0 Thanks
  • 25 posts

Posted November 06, 2010 - 08:20 PM

The mow deck is level and mows fine but the highest setting should be 3.5 inches and it is only 2 3/8". I used to mow my St. Augustine at around 3.5 inches with my other mower which threw a rod. It is a manual height adjustment.
I attempted to adjust it today and the left hand side came up fine the right side didn't move. I had to lower it back down level with the other side.

#6 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted November 06, 2010 - 08:26 PM

Going by the parts diagram, where it shows bolts 47,48 going through the bracket on the mower deck. Is yours going through the top slots on the brackets? If it is then you need to put those bolts in the bottom slots and then use the left side adjustment to level the deck.

#7 jerryclunsford OFFLINE  

jerryclunsford

• 0 Thanks
  • 25 posts

Posted November 06, 2010 - 08:41 PM

That won't work doing that alone would raise the right side over 2 inches. The left adjuster can't raise the left side enough to level it and the adjuster can't be placed in lower holes on the left because it bolts into the top slot and the j-bolt engages in the second on the deck bracket. The holes in the bracket for the right and left side draft arm attachements are different. The left side (with the j-bolt) has a slot, slot and hole and in the illistration the right side shows a slot, hole and slot.

#8 jerryclunsford OFFLINE  

jerryclunsford

• 0 Thanks
  • 25 posts

Posted November 06, 2010 - 08:57 PM

I will tear it down in the morning and get a good look at it. Maybe there is a slot on the right that will give some adjustment.

#9 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted November 06, 2010 - 09:05 PM

I think there has to be a way to use those bottom slots. If the deck at the full lift isn't high enough or at factory spec full height then there has to be something that can be changed to accomplish it.

#10 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,210 Thanks
  • 28,585 posts

Posted November 06, 2010 - 09:05 PM

What do the front attachment linkages look like? I wonder if It's similar to my older Craftsman. You have to shorten the front rods to raise it, then do leveling.

#11 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted November 06, 2010 - 09:07 PM

What do the front attachment linkages look like? I wonder if It's similar to my older Craftsman. You have to shorten the front rods to raise it, then do leveling.

I was just getting ready to post asking about the front linkages to see if they were kind of like the Massey but I refreshed the page and there you already asked LOL

#12 jerryclunsford OFFLINE  

jerryclunsford

• 0 Thanks
  • 25 posts

Posted November 06, 2010 - 10:21 PM

deck2.jpg
This front deck attachments. According to what I have found they are for leveling deck front to back. Front should be 1/8" to 3/8" lower than back, so that the grass is cut by the blade at the front of the mow deck and does cut the grass twice (rear lower than front) or drag on grass all the way around (blade parrallel to ground).

#13 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,210 Thanks
  • 28,585 posts

Posted November 06, 2010 - 10:30 PM

It's almost exactly like mine, shorten the front rods some & you'll see the deck come forward & up. I did end up adjusting my wheels also, but I wanted it lower (I'm a scalper) :D You may have to adjust the rear hangers into another hole, IDK on that.

#14 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,585 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted November 07, 2010 - 07:26 AM

Guy down the road from me has a JD???, similar deck same problem, yours has 3 holes where bracket 44+49 attach to the angle parts on the deck, his had 1 slot for each angle part, I moved his brackets from the top to the bottom of the slot and that solved his problem. See if you can move your brackets 44, 49 to a lower hole in the angle part on the deck and that should raise up the deck.

#15 jerryclunsford OFFLINE  

jerryclunsford

• 0 Thanks
  • 25 posts

Posted November 07, 2010 - 06:52 PM

I moved the right hand draft bar #44 to the middle hole on the deck bracket. Moving the left hand draft bar #49 to the top of the middle slot, however ther was not enough room to put the j-bolt #46 in as it hit the top of the deck. I am trying to invert the adjustment assembly (#s 22,28, 46 & 48) however the threaded section of 46 that goes through the ard is longer than the threads on 28. the threads on 28 now run though both the draft arm and the bracket I now have a section of the j-bolt threads before the shoulder on the j-bolt so I will buy a nut to put on it to hold it in the proper position. After I get a nut (My metric nut collection is not too good) I will put the deck on see about leveling it. Hopefully there will be enough adjustment in the front rods the left one appears to at its limit and I have no metric dies to thread it with if there is not enough adjustment left.