• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ol' stonebreaker ONLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,317 Thanks
  • 983 posts

Posted June 13, 2013 - 10:18 AM

--- and after about 30 seconds no more smoke. Once warmed up you can stop them and no smoke on startup. I have a B&S and a Honda,both vertical shaft , that do this. Any knowledge of the cause and if there is a fix for it. Both start easy and have plenty of power.

Mike

• JRJ said thank you

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 13, 2013 - 10:30 AM

I had a brand new Kohler 16hp vertical in a JD160 that smoked for a while at start up. I was told it was normal. Sounds like there may be some oil pooling in the bottom of the cylinder and seeping past the rings after sitting for a long time. I'm thinking that having the oil over filled could make this worse. I have a KT17 twin that does that as well but has a lot of hours on it.

#3 Golden Hurricane OFFLINE  

Golden Hurricane
  • Member No: 38187
  • 16 Thanks
  • 24 posts

Posted June 13, 2013 - 12:08 PM

Isn't this an indicator that the valves need adjustment?

#4 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted June 13, 2013 - 12:47 PM

I had an engine that did that.  I did some research and what I found out is if you park the engine with it facing down hill oil will seep past the rings into cylinder and cause the smoke.  I let the mower go and have not heard anything since to any problems.

#5 ol' stonebreaker ONLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • 1,317 Thanks
  • 983 posts

Posted June 13, 2013 - 06:10 PM

Isn't this an indicator that the valves need adjustment?

I'm sorry, but I've never heard of valve lash causing oil smoke. Now valve guides and valve seals on a horizontal shaft engine will cause it.

Mike

#6 ol' stonebreaker ONLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • 1,317 Thanks
  • 983 posts

Posted June 13, 2013 - 06:11 PM

I had an engine that did that.  I did some research and what I found out is if you park the engine with it facing down hill oil will seep past the rings into cylinder and cause the smoke.  I let the mower go and have not heard anything since to any problems.

Both these riders are parked on a level concrete floor.

Mike

#7 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted June 14, 2013 - 12:55 PM

Maybe rings let a little oil by... after start up and the "pool" in the cylinder burns off you don't see it because the oil is burning as it leaks. I hope you check your oil level every time you use them.

#8 ol' stonebreaker ONLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • 1,317 Thanks
  • 983 posts

Posted July 01, 2013 - 10:22 PM

Well, after figuring out the PO had the engine overfilled about a pint. I dumped the oil and changed it making sure it was right at the full mark. The next cold start it didn't smoke near as much as it did.
I did notice after awhile when it was parked on concrete the right front wheel was off the floor about 1/4". While looking things over good found the tube frame the front casters are attached to was cracked all the way thru. I've found this Dixon is very mechanic friendly. Only had to remove the operator deck, front mower deck guide pin? and 6 bolts to remove the whole front end assy. Got it on the welding table, ground out the cracks w/ my die grinder, pulled it back into position and welded it up w/ the mig. The tube must have been tweaked a little 'cause I had to make a 1/8" shim for the king pin on that side. Anyway the weight seems to be even on both wheels now.
The engine change confirms my suspicion I've had for several yrs that they're putting unneeded HP on these riders. This Dixon came w/ a 14 HP engine and it was replaced w/ an 8 1/2 HP Honda and it has no problem even mowing tall heavy grass.
Mike

PS: How come the paragraphs disappear when I post??

Edited by ol' stonebreaker, July 01, 2013 - 10:24 PM.