LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,618 Thanks
  • 7,662 posts

Posted June 12, 2013 - 08:13 PM

Aol recommends for slow computers a System Checkup by IT. After running a scan by MalwareBytes and SuperAntiSpyware, I ran the system checkup. It found 250+ items of corruption, harddrive problems and damaged software programing. The good news is this was free. The bad news is the fix costs 4.50 a month. The good news is, there is a free 30 trial. The bad news is you still have to fill out your info( this could come back to bite you, right?).

Does anyone have experience with this? Is it a scam?

• JRJ said thank you

#2 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 36782
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted June 12, 2013 - 08:54 PM

AOL is a scam, sorry, couldn't help the jab. I'm running AVG virus protection(free) and its way superior to Norton with fewer problems, That and a auto clean disk program (free) I get rid of all the bugs. Everyone I know uses Google Chrome or Firefox as a browser and runs away from Windows IE and Outlook Express. I don't know how you can keep a computer running with IE, OE and AOL, just kidding everyone has their preferences, but Many people do shy away from those three programs for valid reasons. Now if I would have just answered your question I would have been helpful, sorry

• LilysDad and WNYTractorTinkerer have said thanks

#3 Arti OFFLINE  

Arti
  • Member No: 11282
  • 1,288 Thanks
  • 962 posts

Posted June 12, 2013 - 09:32 PM

I have become really cautious of software like this.

With that said I have found CCleaner and the other tools from that developer (http://www.piriform.com/) to be effective and safe.

• LilysDad said thank you

#4 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,618 Thanks
  • 7,662 posts

Posted June 13, 2013 - 06:51 AM

In my area, AOL is provided free by Frontier.

• WNYTractorTinkerer said thank you

#5 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,700 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted June 13, 2013 - 09:11 AM

I have never been a fan of AOL and I'm really surprised they are still around. 

To answer your question, yes I would be cautious, from you description it almost sounds like the Anti-virus scam that has been plaguing windows users for the last couple of years.  Again from your description if you had all that stuff wrong I would be surprised that you would even boot or that it would run at all.  My suggestion would be to run your regular scans with the anti-malware you have.  Use cCleaner to clean your HD and registery and also use the startup tool to clean you start up programs to give you more memory and last but not least run defrag as well.  If you are concerned about the HD then run chkdisk at the command line,

Something else to keep in mind with all these protection apps.  The more you install and let run in the back ground the slower your computer will be.  The reason is they all take up memory so eventually you become short on it and then the system starts using the swap file to load and unload programs.

• LilysDad, WNYTractorTinkerer and JRJ have said thanks

#6 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted June 13, 2013 - 01:42 PM

I was on AOL before it was AOL. Remember Quantum Link?

#7 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted June 13, 2013 - 01:57 PM

Rich, I've been running IT System Mechanic Pro for years, it does work. A huge time saver as far as running systems to make your computer better and quicker. You could do it yourself, but for me a click and it's done. You should be able to download a free trial, but look around before buying at end of trial for many $$ saving links out here, like this one >>http://www.shopping-...lo-promo-codes/

free trial >> http://www.iolo.com/...o/download.aspx

Edited by John@Reliable, June 13, 2013 - 02:28 PM.

#8 NJKen OFFLINE  

NJKen
  • Member No: 9515
  • 1,359 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted June 13, 2013 - 02:02 PM

Rich, I've been running IT System Mechanic Pro for years, it does work. A huge time saver as far as running systems to make your computer better and quicker. You could do it yourself, but for me a click and it's done. You should be able to download a free trail, but look around before buying at end of trail for many $$ saving links out here, like this one >>http://www.shopping-...lo-promo-codes/

free trail >> http://www.iolo.com/...o/download.aspx

John, pay attention.

He's looking to fix his PC. He's not looking for a free trail to hike or bike ride on.

I'm sorry, u asked for that.

#9 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted June 13, 2013 - 02:26 PM

John, pay attention.

He's looking to fix his PC. He's not looking for a free trail to hike or bike ride on.

I'm sorry, u asked for that.

Stanley Cup game 1 hang-over, three over times didn't get over until 1 am  :beer:  :bigrofl: 

#10 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,618 Thanks
  • 7,662 posts

Posted June 13, 2013 - 05:54 PM

John, you never struck me as the kind of guy who would drink to excess! I don't know what to say. 

#11 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted June 16, 2013 - 12:28 PM

If you are running windows I would use the Microsoft Security Essentials for anti virus. I think any of those other items are scams especially when they are looking to eventually collect.

The reason I like MSE is because it doesn't slow a computer down as much as all of the other ones.

#12 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted June 16, 2013 - 03:56 PM

If you are running windows I would use the Microsoft Security Essentials for anti virus. I think any of those other items are scams especially when they are looking to eventually collect.

The reason I like MSE is because it doesn't slow a computer down as much as all of the other ones.

You think Microsoft has got their act together this time?  I have an issue with trusting the company that couldn't fix the bugs in the system in the first place to protect me the second go round.  I have not facts, no anecdotes, just a personal lack of trust.

• Amigatec, HDWildBill and LilysDad have said thanks

#13 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,700 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted June 16, 2013 - 08:21 PM

You think Microsoft has got their act together this time?  I have an issue with trusting the company that couldn't fix the bugs in the system in the first place to protect me the second go round.  I have not facts, no anecdotes, just a personal lack of trust.

I have installed MSE on the wifes computer and still have cleaned junk off of it but not as bad as Mcafee or Norton.  M$ makes all their decisions based on what is best for M$ and how they can make money and control the computer market. If you want an OS that you can trust then I'm afraid you will have to move to another OS.

• Amigatec said thank you

#14 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted June 17, 2013 - 03:20 AM

I have never trusted M$ for anything, Bill Gates went into business with stolen software, and has spent his whole life stealing from other companies and running them out of business.

There is no reason for your PC to get virus infected. OSX, UNIX, and Linux don't have any virus problems, and its not because of limited use, there just written different. M$ has never put security first, it's always choke off the others air supply.
  • HDWildBill said thank you

#15 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,618 Thanks
  • 7,662 posts

Posted June 17, 2013 - 06:43 PM

Now, I've gone and done it! Yes, sir!!!

I got fed up (that's never a good thing). After cleaning the 'puter with every program know, it's just shiney clean. Still it's slow and freezes up and doesn't want to close. I went on Recovery Manager and made a back up disk. Then, I took the computer back through Recovery. The only thing is, I can't figure out how to down load the disk back in. When I insert the disk, it allows me to "view the files", but it doesn't start down loading. When I go to Recovery Manager, it just wants to make another file. Duh!