16 replies to this topic

#1 robert_p43 OFFLINE  

robert_p43
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11040
  • 572 Thanks
  • 534 posts

Posted June 12, 2013 - 05:12 PM

When I got my Suburban 10, it had a 3 point hitch, minus the center link of course. (Just what happens to all the center links? )  It is the early style, 2 bolt one. 917.251781

917.251781.png

I found a center link, the guy said it wouldn't work with his hitch so I bought it for a good price. $20.  It is the kind that you always see on ebay for outragious prices, with the clevis ends.  Well, it didn't work with my hitch either,  you couldn't raise the handle all the way.

Today, I made a trade for the 4 bolt piece with the handle and switched them out.  Now I have a handle that if not careful, it lays back on the tire.  I would like to find the origional type center link, but in the meanwhile, I do have a hitch that I can use but I need to fabricate a piece to keep the handle off the tire if it falls back.  I remember seeing a thread showing the modification here somewhere but have searched and searched and can't find the thread.  Can anyone point me to that thread? 

Thank You

• GT5k6spd said thank you

#2 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,491 Thanks
  • 4,947 posts

Posted June 12, 2013 - 05:17 PM

Someone on MTF posted a pic of a factory hitch stop, I think the came with the newer style black hitches, late 70's/ early 80's maybe?

I need to make one for mine also, mine rides on the tires and the tow bar I made sits too low for my yard trailer.

#3 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,583 posts

Posted June 12, 2013 - 06:21 PM

Does yours look like this robert? 3pthitchdimensions 003.JPG I don't remember there being a stop on it though. I have three of them. I will look at the last one I bought to see if it has a stop. DSCF4014.JPG This one doesn't have a stop either. Roger

• robert_p43 said thank you

#4 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,583 posts

Posted June 12, 2013 - 06:22 PM

OOPS! if you look close on the black one you can see where it rubbed the tire also. Roger

#5 tinbender7 OFFLINE  

tinbender7

FORDoholic

• Member No: 5171
  • 1,113 Thanks
  • 784 posts

Posted June 12, 2013 - 06:23 PM

Someone on MTF posted a pic of a factory hitch stop, I think the came with the newer style black hitches, late 70's/ early 80's maybe?

I need to make one for mine also, mine rides on the tires and the tow bar I made sits too low for my yard trailer.

I cut a piece of angle iron and bolted it to the lower hitch bolt hole and it stops the 3 point at the right hieght for my yard trailer and people hauler that I use. I remove it for the plow as it will not let it lower enough.

• hamman and robert_p43 have said thanks

#6 GT5k6spd OFFLINE  

GT5k6spd
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 31018
  • 37 Thanks
  • 53 posts

Posted June 12, 2013 - 07:03 PM

When I got my Suburban 10, it had a 3 point hitch, minus the center link of course. (Just what happens to all the center links? )  It is the early style, 2 bolt one. 917.251781

attachicon.gif917.251781.png

I found a center link, the guy said it wouldn't work with his hitch so I bought it for a good price. $20.  It is the kind that you always see on ebay for outragious prices, with the clevis ends.  Well, it didn't work with my hitch either,  you couldn't raise the handle all the way.

Today, I made a trade for the 4 bolt piece with the handle and switched them out.  Now I have a handle that if not careful, it lays back on the tire.  I would like to find the origional type center link, but in the meanwhile, I do have a hitch that I can use but I need to fabricate a piece to keep the handle off the tire if it falls back.  I remember seeing a thread showing the modification here somewhere but have searched and searched and can't find the thread.  Can anyone point me to that thread? 

Thank You

dumb question:  what is the purpose of a 3 point hitch?

#7 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,491 Thanks
  • 4,947 posts

Posted June 12, 2013 - 08:07 PM

The picture I remember  the stop was mounted on the left side on the short upper arm used for link to bottom arms and it had some type of adjustment like a large bolt or something. I want mine adjustable also as sometimes I have different attachments used at different heights.

Hammon, that last pic you posted looks like that one was modified for an electric actuator

100_0907.jpg

#8 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,300 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted June 12, 2013 - 08:58 PM

Guilty as charged.
http://gardentractor...ng/#entry203188

Still working great IMHO

#9 robert_p43 OFFLINE  

robert_p43
  • Contributor
  • 572 Thanks
  • 534 posts

Posted June 12, 2013 - 09:19 PM

That's the post that I was looking for.  THANK YOU!

My older 2 bolt hitch actually has a stop, it looks much like this one.  As you can see, it also has the older style of center link, missing on mine.

zmyhitch01.jpg

The hitch that I got today is like the one from the link that was just posted,  That one needs a stop or it will rub the tire.  I wonder why sears didn't have a stop on the hitch?  Is it possible that the models that it was designed for were different enough so the handle didn't hit the tire?

#10 robert_p43 OFFLINE  

robert_p43
  • Contributor
  • 572 Thanks
  • 534 posts

Posted June 12, 2013 - 09:58 PM

Not really a dumb question.  It is for attaching implements such as plows, tillers, cultivators, grader blades, etc.  I think the newer Sears tractors use sleeve hitches for gardening implements, but not sure.

#11 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,300 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted June 12, 2013 - 10:07 PM

Not really a dumb question.  It is for attaching implements such as plows, tillers, cultivators, grader blades, etc.  I think the newer Sears tractors use sleeve hitches for gardening implements, but not sure.

Yes, and the sears three point was arguably superior for adjustments when introduced. The later three points from other mfgs was just heavier duty and didnt use the Armstrong lift system

There is an adapter for the three point to use Brinly stuff.

#12 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,491 Thanks
  • 4,947 posts

Posted June 13, 2013 - 08:02 AM

Found the pics I was looking for. I guess this was a Sears accessory hitch stop.

Sorry for you purists  :wave:  :thumbs:    couldn't save pics so I have to post link

http://www.mytractor...ghlight=factory

• MH81 and robert_p43 have said thanks

#13 robert_p43 OFFLINE  

robert_p43
  • Contributor
  • 572 Thanks
  • 534 posts

Posted June 13, 2013 - 09:49 AM

Found the pics I was looking for. I guess this was a Sears accessory hitch stop.

Sorry for you purists  :wave:  :thumbs:    couldn't save pics so I have to post link

http://www.mytractor...ghlight=factory

Here's a pic of that accessory for those who prefer to stay in their seats and not travel to other tractor forums:

z_stop3.JPG

I also found another home fabricated stop that looks like it would do well, It swings and catches on a small piece of angle iron that looks like it is mounted to the backplate on the left side of the hitch:

z_stop.jpg

z_stop2.jpg

I'll probably go with Alans as it looks like something that I could make. (except for the welded piece) I would need to find someone to do the welding.

• MH81 and GT5k6spd have said thanks

#14 GT5k6spd OFFLINE  

GT5k6spd
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 31018
  • 37 Thanks
  • 53 posts

Posted June 13, 2013 - 10:40 AM

Yes, and the sears three point was arguably superior for adjustments when introduced. The later three points from other mfgs was just heavier duty and didnt use the Armstrong lift system

There is an adapter for the three point to use Brinly stuff.

just so i'm clear, it's NOT just a trailer hitch, but one that can adjust 'pressure' to the implement?

#15 robert_p43 OFFLINE  

robert_p43
  • Contributor
  • 572 Thanks
  • 534 posts

Posted June 13, 2013 - 11:07 AM

No it's not just a trailer hitch.  Tahoo showed a good example with the picture of the garden plow.  You use the hitch to raise it so it doesn't plow going across your lawn, and lower it to plow each row.  The hitch has adjustments to set the plow at the correct depth and pitch.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 3 point, sears hitch, lift handle