• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Toro Owner OFFLINE  

Toro Owner
  • Member No: 38160
  • 3 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted June 12, 2013 - 07:41 AM

I purchased a 2009 LX426 Toro Lawn Tractor in June 2009. Within two years (35-40 hours) warranty work from my dealer was required for a loose rocker arm (no warning, engine just failed with loud noises). The rocker arm bolt was lock tighted and valves adjusted. It ran again for another 2 years, with the engine going again at 71 hours (same noises as before when engine cut out). The Briggs and Stratton Intek 20 hp Engine now needs replacement according to the dealer. This lawn tractor has been very well taken care of and used for my lawn only for the past four year.

Is this common for these Toro lawn tractors and B&S Stratton engines?

• LilysDad and A.C.T. have said thanks

#2 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,807 Thanks
  • 7,547 posts

Posted June 12, 2013 - 08:41 AM

Welcome to GTT. Someone more knowledgeable will be along to help you soon. Good Luck, Rick

• Toro Owner said thank you

#3 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,630 Thanks
  • 2,587 posts

Posted June 12, 2013 - 08:49 AM

My neighboor is dealing with this problem right now! It has been to the repair shop 4 times and every time within 1 or two mowings it has aproblem! It has now been to the shop for about 4 weeks. They are working with Briggs & Stratton to fix the problem without any cost to my neighnbor. His feeling is that he paid good money for a good name, Troy Built, and it should last longer than 3 years. He contacted B&S personally and they were the one to tell him to take it to one of their (B&S) repair centers to fix the problem. My inderstanding as well as his is that B&S had some (many,many) cams that were improperly hardened and the lobs on the cams wear down causing problems. Hope this may haelp you in you quest to get it fixed. It may be out of warranty but if you talk loudly enough to B&S you may get some relief. Good luck with it, let us know how it works out. Welcome to GTtalk. Roger.

• boyscout862, twostep, Arti and 1 other said thanks

#4 A.C.T. OFFLINE  

A.C.T.

Another Classic Tractor

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 11085
  • 2,363 Thanks
  • 2,496 posts

Posted June 12, 2013 - 08:50 AM

untitled welcome.png

Sorry to hear you are having problems with your Toro. I am not aware of any issues with the Intek but someone here may know about that problem.  Welcome!

Edited by anderson classic tractors, June 12, 2013 - 08:54 AM.

• Arti and Toro Owner have said thanks

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 12, 2013 - 10:26 AM

Welcome to GTTalk. I hope you can get your engine problems sorted out soon. It's prime mowing season so I'm sure you need it running.

• Arti and Toro Owner have said thanks

#6 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,689 Thanks
  • 7,697 posts

Posted June 12, 2013 - 11:21 AM

Within two years (35-40 hours) warranty work from my dealer was required for a loose rocker arm...

It ran again for another 2 years, with the engine going again at 71 hours (same noises as before when engine cut out). The Briggs and Stratton Intek 20 hp Engine now needs replacement according to the dealer.

What was wrong the second time? Did the dealer say why it needs replacing? Is it covered under warranty or does he just want you to buy an engine?

Never just follow the shepard. Make him explain himself.

Edited by LilysDad, June 12, 2013 - 11:22 AM.

• boyscout862, Arti and Toro Owner have said thanks

#7 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted June 12, 2013 - 11:41 AM

We are always having issues with the rockers and valves on the B&S that is in the Huskee that was left here from the previous owner. Our problem is the aluminum pushrods bend very easily. Not sure if it could be the same issue with yours.

• boyscout862, Arti and Toro Owner have said thanks

#8 Toro Owner OFFLINE  

Toro Owner
  • Member No: 38160
  • 3 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted June 12, 2013 - 01:47 PM

What was wrong the second time? Did the dealer say why it needs replacing? Is it covered under warranty or does he just want you to buy an engine?

Never just follow the shepard. Make him explain himself.

This is where things get interesting, they never really said what is wrong this time, just I need a new engine. I picked it up yesterday and told them to email me the cost of a new engine.  I contacted Toro today and they will get back to me in the next day or so. 

This is my first lawn tractor and my first ever forum. Thanks everyone for welcoming me. I have really enjoyed this tractor, but very disappointed with the engine situation. 

• boyscout862 said thank you

#9 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,312 Thanks
  • 2,340 posts

Posted June 12, 2013 - 02:26 PM

Briggs Intek engines should have been recalled.Between the carb problems,head gaskets,push rods,oil sump gasket failures,cam and rocker problems and the mufflers bulging and blowing apart (on 17hp+ Inteks).

They are just a very poorly designed engine.When they run the way they should,they have great power and good fuel economy.

My Troy Bilt is a 2009 model and is on it's 2nd engine and it has had the head gasket and starter replaced allready.

It originally had a 17.5hp in it,now has a newer replacement 18hp Intek engine with oil filter.And it still has the factory original drive and deck belts that look to be almost new yet.

There really should be a Lemon law on anything with an engine on it,including all mowing machines.The cheaply made,highly polished crap they are selling people today for thousands of hard earned moneys just makes me sick.

Edited by EricFromPa, June 12, 2013 - 02:28 PM.

• hamman, boyscout862 and Toro Owner have said thanks

#10 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,630 Thanks
  • 2,587 posts

Posted June 12, 2013 - 03:07 PM

Thanks eric that is about waht is going to happen to my neighbors. He says if he has to have a new engine he will get a relative who is an atty. to investigate and possibly start proceedings. Maybe if they feel a class action suit is comming they would be willing to take care of these problems. The dealer told him it is not the first one he's seen like this and probably woun't be the last. Roger.

#11 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,689 Thanks
  • 7,697 posts

Posted June 12, 2013 - 03:55 PM

What would it cost to upgrade to a Vanguard?

#12 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted June 12, 2013 - 04:53 PM

:welcometogttalk:

#13 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,312 Thanks
  • 2,340 posts

Posted June 14, 2013 - 08:30 AM

What would it cost to upgrade to a Vanguard?

New? More than the tractor is worth IMO.Between $700-$1200

http://www.ebay.com/...=item53f40ed4c8

You'll have alot better luck finding a good used one on Craigslist.Maybe even get a whole other tractor cheap and do a transplant.

Vanguard engines are pretty good,they start to crap out between 800-1000 hours.My Cub Cadet had around 1100 hours on it and it was starting to acting up.I could of spent around $250 and rebuilt it but I sold the tractor.

#14 pharmer OFFLINE  

pharmer

• Member No: 4250
  • 686 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted June 14, 2013 - 12:30 PM

My friend purchased a Toro LX with the Kohler Courage 20 hp. It was leaking oil right from the start. He returned it to HD under warranty. They had it for over a month and said they couldn"t find anything wrong. He used it for over a year and the then noticed it leaking worse. I looked at it and saw the engine had a hairline crack that started to expand . I ended up pulling the engine completly apart and welded up the crack. Problem solved. I think Toro's cheaper {quality not price} products should be given a second thought before being purchased. I don't like the courage engines by Kohler either. Just my opinion