#76 SupplySergeant OFFLINE  

SupplySergeant

Eggman's Dad

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 45293
  • 1,079 Thanks
  • 655 posts

Posted October 02, 2013 - 12:33 PM

Yes, school, along with his cross country running practices and events, have really cut down on his desire to work on the tractor. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad he is putting his schooling first, and he is doing well with his running. I'm just disappointed, as he was doing such a good job, and now the tractor just sits here, unfinished. I'm sure once his cross country events are done, he will eventually have the desire to work on the tractor again. I'll finish it for him if need be, but I have my hands full with remodeling a new kitchen for my wife, and then a re-siding project for my next door neighbor. Then there is the fact that winter is just around the corner, so painting time will be pretty much limited, as my garage isn't heated. I'm sorry for the long progress delay guys. We will get back on it again, just not sure when. I told my wife, next year I'm not doing any  as projects for anybody. I'm taking next year to do tractor projects and restorations of my own. I just received (2) 60 lawn tractors and would like to get them running. My youngest son (JDgrasshopper) wants his Wheel Horse RJ restored, plus my daughter (jdelfette) wants her 70 lawn tractor restored. Maybe if I work on all of these tractors, Caleb will then find the desire to finish his 70. Keep your fingers crossed! I can't wait to get the kids tractors finished, so that I can start working on getting my round fender collection restored. Time will tell. Thanks for the interest, and I hope you and your son have as much fun as Caleb and I are/were having.

I understand the frustrations trying to keep a kid interested in something that takes time. My oldest is out of the house now, but the only thing he maintained an interest in long-term was model trains. Anyone who is into them knows they are just as expensive and time-consuming as tractors. On the other hand, my youngest, Eggman96, has a tendency to stick to things for a long time, so I have high hopes that GT's will be something we do together for quite some time. It helps that he is homeschooled, and Mom is really flexible about hours and granting credit for hands-on work. I wish you the best with all your children, you sound like quite the dedicated dad.

By the way, I feel your pain on JDElfette wanting a non-standard color. I have a sneaking suspicion I will be painting Chris's tractor some off color, but if that's what it takes to keep them interested, I can live with it.

• Craig. and johndeereelfman have said thanks

#77 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,475 Thanks
  • 2,532 posts

Posted May 02, 2014 - 09:08 PM

I bought some front and rear inner tubes and paint for my 1969 John Deere 60 tonight, and I'm hoping if I start working on my tractor, that it will give my son some inspiration to get working on this tractor again. I'm not doing a full blown restoration like he is, just touching up some areas to try and make it a little more presentable. Him and I working side-by-side again would be fun.

I have some yard work that needs to be done, and suggested that a smaller tractor with the 50 dump cart hooked up to it would be nice for getting around our yard. Hoping that Caleb would get the hint, or the ambition to get his done. Wrong!!!  :wallbanging:  He just looked at me and said, we could use your 60. Not what I wanted to hear. I asked him, wouldn't it be nice to drive your freshly restore tractor around? I got a reply back saying, well I can't drive my tractor around without having the dump cart restored too. They go together like peanut and jelly. If one is bad, it ruins the whole sandwich. 

Did I mention he is 13 years old right now, and that I'm considered the stupidest man in the world right now?  :mad2: I can't wait for this phase to be over!!!

• MAV, Texas Deere and Horse and Craig. have said thanks

#78 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • 5,475 Thanks
  • 2,532 posts

Posted June 22, 2014 - 07:36 PM

I took sometime this weekend to strip some more parts for Caleb, but like I figured, he pretty much lost all interest in putting the time into finishing the tractor. He basically just wants it done so he can drive it around at shows. So needless to say, Dad is officially responsible for finishing this tractor.

Not much to show, but at least some type of progress. These are parts that Caleb already had second coated, so all I did was wet sand with 800 grit and apply another coat of paint:

Miscellaneous 009.JPG Miscellaneous 010.JPG

These are parts that I striped, primed, and first coated:

Miscellaneous 011.JPG Miscellaneous 012.JPG Miscellaneous 013.JPG Miscellaneous 015.JPG Miscellaneous 016.JPG Miscellaneous 017.JPG

For Caleb's birthday, my Dad bought Caleb a front blade for the 70. Caleb asked for one so he can help me plow snow over the winter months while I may be at work. Needless to say, Caleb thinks it should be taken apart and restored along with the tractor, so they will both be done at the same time. Caleb's thinks I'm supposed to take care of plowing the streets and driveways, while he will take care of plowing the sidewalks. Can hardly wait for him to plow, just so I can see his reaction when he hits that first sidewalk slab that sticks up a little higher than the others. This blade doesn't have the spring trips, so I figure Caleb will land about ten feet in front of the tractor when he hits the slab and brings the tractor to a screeching halt. The blade itself however, is in really decent shape. There are no bends in the blade, the shoes look like brand new on the bottom, and the cutting edge has no wear on it at all. We do have the mounting piece, although not shown, and has already been wire wheeled and primed. 

Miscellaneous 021.JPG Miscellaneous 022.JPG

At one point of its life, it must have been repainted, as the serial plate looks to have been sandblasted. I have removed that and will start restoring it back to new later on in the post.

Miscellaneous 023.JPG

That's it for now, but I'll post more later as time allows.

Edited by johndeereelfman, June 22, 2014 - 07:41 PM.

• Craig. and Littledeere have said thanks

#79 Littledeere OFFLINE  

Littledeere

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2778
  • 1,545 Thanks
  • 1,443 posts

Posted June 27, 2014 - 05:20 PM

Glad to see you at work there Troy the next thing we know it will be time for Dover

#80 WHdbJD ONLINE  

WHdbJD

• Member No: 8367
  • 580 Thanks
  • 451 posts

Posted July 02, 2014 - 07:40 AM

Looking good!  I'll  be interested in learning how to restore a serial tag.

#81 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • 5,475 Thanks
  • 2,532 posts

Posted July 02, 2014 - 05:33 PM

Here are some before and after pictures of some tags I have done in the past. Not perfect by any means, but still a lot better than they were before I started:

1963 110 Tag:

Misc. 2 033.JPG Misc. 2 034.JPG Misc. 2 069.JPG

1964 110 Tag:

Serial Plates 015.JPG Serial Tags 004.JPG Miscellaneous three 079.JPG

1965 110 Tag:

Miscellaneous three 022.JPG Serial Plates - 3 036.JPG

• Craig., WHdbJD and New.Canadian.DB.Owner have said thanks

#82 WHdbJD ONLINE  

WHdbJD

• 580 Thanks
  • 451 posts

Posted July 03, 2014 - 05:01 AM

The tags look great!

On the 1964 110 tag, I see you took the old green overspray off, then painted it black.

How do you get the lettering highlighted again?

#83 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • 5,475 Thanks
  • 2,532 posts

Posted July 03, 2014 - 07:30 PM

As you have said, I did strip off the green paint, as well as the original black base paint too. Once the tag is stripped, I spray the tag with either WD-40 or penetrating oil, and lightly go over the entire tag with a piece of #0000 steel wool. This helps to get the shine back on the aluminum. Then I wash the tag twice with warm water and dish washing liquid. Next, two coats of gloss black paint are applied, usually giving a day in between each coat. I then let the tag sit for a couple of days to be sure the paint is almost cured, but not fully cured. When I start to strip the paint off of the raised lettering, it goes better while the paint is still a little soft, as this will keep the paint from chipping. 

To remove the paint from the lettering and outer edges, I just use a flat headed dentist tool that I pick up from area tractor shows or flea markets. Can usually get three different tools for around $10.00. After all of the paint is removed, I then wash the tag again with warm water and dish washing liquid. The tag will sit for a couple days or up to a whole week. When I'm convinced the paint is hard enough, I then use a brillo pad with the pink soap in it, and go over the tag again softly while holding the tag under warm water. This will eliminate any missed areas on the raised lettering, as well as shine up the aluminum. When done, I then hold the tag under cold water for a couple minutes, and place in the storage drawer for future use. 

Serial Plates - 3 032.JPG Serial Plates - 3 033.JPG

It takes patience and time to do, but if the effort is there and you do it right, the results will speak for themselves. 

• WHdbJD said thank you

#84 WHdbJD ONLINE  

WHdbJD

• 580 Thanks
  • 451 posts

Posted July 04, 2014 - 06:07 AM

Thanks for taking the time to explain the process!