83 replies to this topic

#61 jdelfjunior OFFLINE  

jdelfjunior

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 7656
  • 71 Thanks
  • 28 posts

Posted August 04, 2013 - 08:50 PM

Today Dad stripped some more parts for me and I applied the first coat of primer. NO RUNS!!! :dancingbanana:

I now have to wait for them to dry so that I can spray another coat on them, and then sand them smooth. Boy, this painting is a lot of work. Dad didn't tell me before we started that I'll have to sand each piece so many times. I thought you just primed and then painted them.

Gas Tank and Straps

Progress 11 003.JPG Progress 11 004.JPG Progress 11 013.JPG

Air Cleaner

Progress 11 010.JPG

Hitch Plate

Progress 11 014.JPG

Gas Tank Brackets

Progress 11 011.JPG Progress 11 016.JPG

Lift Handle

Progress 11 015.JPG

I also finished and waxed my fenders! They are sweet! :rocker2:

Progress 11 019.JPG Progress 11 020.JPG Progress 11 021.JPG

And yesterday, the second coat of green was sprayed on the frame. :D  I hope it will look as good as my fenders.

Progress 11 022.JPG Progress 11 023.JPG Progress 11 024.JPG

And these are other pieces that are finished and waiting to be assembled.

Progress 11 029.JPG Progress 11 030.JPG

I have to get some more primer and paint, so it might be a couple of days till I can post more pictures. It is hard work, but I'm having fun.

• grnspot110, Texas Deere and Horse, Craig. and 6 others have said thanks

#62 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,485 Thanks
  • 39,720 posts

Posted August 04, 2013 - 09:51 PM

Looking good!

• johndeereelfman and jdelfjunior have said thanks

#63 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted August 04, 2013 - 10:22 PM

So that is what a Green mirror looks like! :D That is coming out so great Caleb!! Keep up the good work! :thumbs: :worshippy1:

#64 wku88 OFFLINE  

wku88
  • Member No: 32000
  • 22 Thanks
  • 35 posts

Posted August 04, 2013 - 11:24 PM

The final finish is dependant on the base metal preparation. As you noticed, your dad made sure the parts were extremely well prepared! While it is not necessary to polish the bare metal like he did, you should acknowledge that he went above and beyond the call of duty there!

#65 MAV OFFLINE  

MAV

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 487
  • 108 Thanks
  • 215 posts

Posted August 05, 2013 - 09:41 AM

Hey Caleb, you are doing an outstanding job !!! :thumbs: Keep up the good work and try not to get discouraged. I know that is alot easier said than done  but if you do just walk away from it  for a while.  Your Dad is teaching you some skills that you will be able to use the rest of your life in anything that you will do.

Mark

Edited by MAV, August 05, 2013 - 09:42 AM.

#66 Littledeere OFFLINE  

Littledeere

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2778
  • 1,545 Thanks
  • 1,443 posts

Posted August 06, 2013 - 09:04 PM

What a job, just beautiful that's going to look better than it did win brand new

#67 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted August 24, 2013 - 09:18 PM

Well, it's been a while since we've worked on the tractor, and since Caleb started cross country running, his time has been limited. Plus the fact, that he started noticing girls, I think his interest for the tractor has changed. So, I guess I'll end up finishing the tractor for him. (kind of thought I might be). Anyhow, today I took a break from the kitchen remodel, and decide to paint some parts for him. Basically I first or second coated some of the parts he already had primed and sanded. Here's the gas tank, the lift handle and gas tank straps, the hitch plate, the air cleaner, and the front bumper.

Scooter and Parts 028.JPG Scooter and Parts 029.JPG Scooter and Parts 034.JPG Scooter and Parts 027.JPG Scooter and Parts 030.JPG

I also highlighted the numbers and hash marks on his lift quadrant. Originally, these should be green like the rest of the quadrant, but I thought it would give the quadrant a nice little touch. I know on the 60 lawn tractors, these were highlighted in yellow, but since this 70 has black and silver decals, I elected to highlight the numbers and hash marks in silver. Picture is kind of poor, sorry guys!

Scooter and Parts 033.JPG

I got his steering box all painted, so it will be ready to be put back together next week.

Scooter and Parts 032.JPG

And finally, I wet sanded his frame with 220 grit, and applied a third coat of green to it.

Scooter and Parts 031.JPG

I'm hoping he will get interested in finishing this tractor again, but with school starting again in two weeks, I just don't know if it will happen. One good point though, his Pappy (my Dad) finally gave him the compliment he has been wanting. We practically had to pull it out of my Dad, but he finally admitted that Caleb is doing a Great job. I couldn't have been more prouder of him, both Dad for finally telling Caleb, and for Caleb, as those words were what he has been wanting to hear.

More pictures later as time will allow. 

Edited by johndeereelfman, August 25, 2013 - 10:08 AM.

• grnspot110, KennyP, Trav1s and 3 others have said thanks

#68 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted August 24, 2013 - 09:23 PM

Troy, it's looking good, but I thought you sold the 60 that sitting outside the garage.

#69 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted August 24, 2013 - 09:33 PM

Troy, it's looking good, but I thought you sold the 60 that sitting outside the garage.

Brian,

I think you are referring to the 50 Farm Tractor? If you are, the buyer, my cousin, backed out and couldn't come up with the money. I have since talked to him at the Dover Show, and he said he's still interested in buying it, but may not be able to until fall, after he gets his money from the 800 head of cabbage that he planted. The tractor isn't costing me anything, and I really don't want to see it go, so it sitting here for a while longer really doesn't bother me. I just hate to see it sit outside, as the garage is just too tight with it inside.

• SupplySergeant said thank you

#70 Trav1s OFFLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,603 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted August 25, 2013 - 07:59 AM

This project looks great and I applaud Caleb for his hard work.  Keep pushing along brothers!

If you need inspiration keep this in mind:  Even with delays, your project will take less than the time that I took on the 120. :smilewink:

Edited by Trav1s, August 25, 2013 - 08:01 AM.

#71 Hammerdown OFFLINE  

Hammerdown
  • Member No: 46960
  • 127 Thanks
  • 74 posts

Posted October 01, 2013 - 06:06 AM

Hello Caleb

Very Nice Restoration Job you are doing on your Model 70. Back in 1983 when I got married we returned home early and used our wedding Money to buy thing's that we needed to start out in life. Prior to getting married I had my eye on a 1971 John Deere model 70. I knew the owner and he said he may sell it. I quickly approached him when we returned from our Honey Moon as I had a good surplus of Cash. I was able to buy his model 70 for $200.00 and it came with it's mowing deck and a front dirt blade. We had Bought Three acre's of land with a mobile home on it that had a very small Yard. With the addition of the John Deere Model 70 I was able to enlarge the entire Property being Three acres into a Nice lawn. That Little Tractor worked it's Gut's out mowing for me as well as Plowing my driveway in the winter Months. The third year of owning it, The Tecumseh Engine suddenly Blew up by breaking it's Piston connecting rod. It destroyed the engine so I could not rebuild it. At the time I was working so I did not have the time to try and retor fit another engine into it, so I Traded it in on another John Deere which was a Model 216 about Three time's the size of my little model 70. That Model 70 forged a Life long Loyalty in me to own John Deere Lawn & garden Tractor''s and I have had 7 since and now currently have a totally restored 1983 John Deere 318 a Tractor I hunted for for year's before finally finding one. In closing I would suggest that you take that engine spart and if it need's rebuilding I would do it as far as I know no other one will take it's Place due to the crankshaft out Put shaft's they were speacial one's used on that Tecumseh engine no Other engine would allow the use of the PTO. Good luck with it, and Thank's for bringing back the memory of my First John Deere Tractor the Model 70. Regards, Hammerdown

• johndeereelfman and SupplySergeant have said thanks

#72 SupplySergeant OFFLINE  

SupplySergeant

Eggman's Dad

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 45293
  • 1,084 Thanks
  • 658 posts

Posted October 01, 2013 - 07:28 PM

I'm glad Hammerdown brought this back to the top, since I am wanting to do a tractor with my son, too. Has school been the distraction you thought it would be?

• johndeereelfman and Hammerdown have said thanks

#73 Hammerdown OFFLINE  

Hammerdown
  • Member No: 46960
  • 127 Thanks
  • 74 posts

Posted October 02, 2013 - 05:36 AM

Hello Supply Seargent

The Little John Deere model 70 was as Tough as Nails and actually over built for a Tractor of it's size. The weak point is the Tecumseh engine. They had Plenty of Power and Ran good until they decided to Toss their Aluminum Piston connecting rod and it is almost Impossible to locate a replacement engine either original or Off brand for a re-power. I have seen some guy's re-power these Little 70's but they are not able to run the PTO that Operates the Mowing deck as the original Tecumseh PTO shaft was so Long compared to any other small engine's out there.I sure wish I knew back then when I had one what I know now about those Tecumseh engine's as I would have gladly tore mine down and Placed a new rod and Piston in it before it Exploded...I do not have a dislike for the Older tecumseh engine's as they always' seemed to have a Lot more Power than the competitive Briggs & Stratton's did. I had a 1967 round fender John Deere 112 Lawn Tractor way back that had a Tecumseh 12 Horsepower engine in it that made ton's of power & never gave me any problems it was a cast Iron engine bllock that had a sticker on the top of it's engine shroud that said Long Life Cast iron serie's engine with  Ball Bearing crankshaft. I feel as though the early Tecumsch engine's were very durable but as time wore on like all other thing's they started producing them in cheaper form and that is when the durability issues started.  Hammerdown

• johndeereelfman and SupplySergeant have said thanks

#74 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted October 02, 2013 - 06:03 AM

I'm glad Hammerdown brought this back to the top, since I am wanting to do a tractor with my son, too. Has school been the distraction you thought it would be?

Yes, school, along with his cross country running practices and events, have really cut down on his desire to work on the tractor. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad he is putting his schooling first, and he is doing well with his running. I'm just disappointed, as he was doing such a good job, and now the tractor just sits here, unfinished. I'm sure once his cross country events are done, he will eventually have the desire to work on the tractor again. I'll finish it for him if need be, but I have my hands full with remodeling a new kitchen for my wife, and then a re-siding project for my next door neighbor. Then there is the fact that winter is just around the corner, so painting time will be pretty much limited, as my garage isn't heated. 

I'm sorry for the long progress delay guys. We will get back on it again, just not sure when. I told my wife, next year I'm not doing any projects for anybody. I'm taking next year to do tractor projects and restorations of my own. I just received (2) 60 lawn tractors and would like to get them running. My youngest son (JDgrasshopper) wants his Wheel Horse RJ restored, plus my daughter (jdelfette) wants her 70 lawn tractor restored. Maybe if I work on all of these tractors, Caleb will then find the desire to finish his 70. Keep your fingers crossed! I can't wait to get the kids tractors finished, so that I can start working on getting my round fender collection restored. Time will tell. Thanks for the interest, and I hope you and your son have as much fun as Caleb and I are/were having.

• Texas Deere and Horse and SupplySergeant have said thanks

#75 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted October 02, 2013 - 10:56 AM

Troy, Life always seems to get in the way of our projects. I know you will get this one finished at some point. Maybe I will get to see it finished at Dover next year !! :thumbs:

• johndeereelfman said thank you