Just a quick update. We have the fender assembly all primed with five coats of automotive primer, and started dry sanding with 220 grit paper. There were quite a few little rust pits when we got the assembly back from the sandblaster, so we built up the paint to fill them all in. I don't like to use body filler if I don't have to, due to it being unpredictable sometimes. We slowly built up each layer of paint, while using a piece of brown paper bag to dry sand in between each coat to help remove any dust build up, and allowed each coat of primer to dry at least a full 24 hours. After each paper bag sanding, we rinsed the assembly down with water to aid in curing time. This is the assembly after starting to dry sand with the 220 grit paper.
When we are done with the 220 grit, we will then go over it again, this time wet sanding with 600 grit, wash and rinse with water, and then start applying the first coat of green. It's hard to get much done lately with the temperature hovering around 93 degrees everyday, for the past five days, plus with the humidity, it feels like 103 degrees. Can't be painting much with that kind of humidity!
Oh, and Caleb has two coats on the frame so far, but again, with the humidity the way it is, he just can't get much done. He's really doing good. He's taking his time and trying not to mess up. I can tell though when he does, because he'll look up to see where I'm at, and turns so that his body is between me and the part that he's painting. He cracks me up! I try to tell him not to worry about it, that anything is fixable, but I guess it bothers him because he wants to do it right. Starting to become a perfectionist like his Dad I suppose.
We'll keep you posted as we progress.
Edited by johndeereelfman, July 21, 2013 - 04:39 PM.