83 replies to this topic

#46 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,706 Thanks
  • 2,596 posts

Posted July 19, 2013 - 07:56 PM

Just a quick update. We have the fender assembly all primed with five coats of automotive primer, and started dry sanding with 220 grit paper. There were quite a few little rust pits when we got the assembly back from the sandblaster, so we built up the paint to fill them all in. I don't like to use body filler if I don't have to, due to it being unpredictable sometimes. We slowly built up each layer of paint, while using a piece of brown paper bag to dry sand in between each coat to help remove any dust build up, and allowed each coat of primer to dry at least a full 24 hours. After each paper bag sanding, we rinsed the assembly down with water to aid in curing time. This is the assembly after starting to dry sand with the 220 grit paper.

540 PTO 004.JPG 540 PTO 005.JPG

When we are done with the 220 grit, we will then go over it again, this time wet sanding with 600 grit, wash and rinse with water, and then start applying the first coat of green. It's hard to get much done lately with the temperature hovering around 93 degrees everyday, for the past five days, plus with the humidity, it feels like 103 degrees. Can't be painting much with that kind of humidity! :(

Oh, and Caleb has two coats on the frame so far, but again, with the humidity the way it is, he just can't get much done. He's really doing good. He's taking his time and trying not to mess up. I can tell though when he does, because he'll look up to see where I'm at, and turns so that his body is between me and the part that he's painting. He cracks me up! :rolling: I try to tell him not to worry about it, that anything is fixable, but I guess it bothers him because he wants to do it right. Starting to become a perfectionist like his Dad I suppose. :D

We'll keep you posted as we progress.

Edited by johndeereelfman, July 21, 2013 - 04:39 PM.

• KennyP, Littledeere, Trav1s and 2 others have said thanks

#47 jdelfjunior OFFLINE  

jdelfjunior

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 7656
  • 72 Thanks
  • 28 posts

Posted July 21, 2013 - 03:59 PM

Today's progress was pretty good. :thumbs:   First, I painted the underside of my fenders (No runs for the first time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)    :dancingbanana:  

Caleb progress 9 001.JPG Caleb progress 9 003.JPG

Second, I sanded my frame almost down to the bare metal to get the pits out. I will add more paint to it when I get more primer.

Caleb progress 9 006.JPG Caleb progress 9 007.JPG Caleb progress 9 010.JPG Caleb progress 9 012.JPG

Third, I painted the top of my fenders. There are a few runs, but I'm not showing them in the pics.  :wallbanging:

Caleb progress 9 016.JPG Caleb progress 9 018.JPG Caleb progress 9 021.JPG

If any of you were wondering, yes I am wear my GTtalk.com shirt in the pics. Just seemed like the right thing to do. :D

• Craig., KennyP, johndeereelfman and 4 others have said thanks

#48 hdg4400 ONLINE  

hdg4400

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6945
  • 274 Thanks
  • 338 posts

Posted July 21, 2013 - 04:05 PM

Glad you're having fun, and everything really looks good. I also like you poems!

Harlan

• johndeereelfman and jdelfjunior have said thanks

#49 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman
  • Contributor
  • 5,706 Thanks
  • 2,596 posts

Posted July 29, 2013 - 08:57 PM

Today Caleb wet sanded his fender assembly again. To this point, he has I believe five coats of green applied, has wet sanded with 350 grit, 400 grit, and today wet sanded with 1500 grit. He finally got all of the orange peel out of them, and then applied the second to last coat of green. Here are pictures of the fenders sprayed with water, after wet sanding, and then the next coat of paint.

Progress 10 001.JPG Progress 10 003.JPG Progress 10 004.JPG Progress 10 006.JPG Progress 10 007.JPG

He also sanded the frame for the last time, and started applying the first coat of green to the underside.

Progress 10 002.JPG Progress 10 005.JPG

He also applied the finish coats to some miscellaneous items like the front axle, the tie rods, the steering column, the lift quadrant, the seat pan, and one of the spindles. I thought he took pictures of them, but apparently not since I can't seem to find them on these latest camera shots. We'll have to try and post them tomorrow night.

He is really doing a Great job on this tractor. He's taking his time, and gets frustrated with me when I tell him he'll have to wet sand and apply more paint, but I think he appreciates the final results. I have to say, his patience is really paying off. He is getting a remarkable automotive finish out of these spray cans, even though the camera flash isn't letting you see the reflective finish. He's excited about getting it done, but he understands that it takes a lot of work to make it right. I'm very proud of his efforts, and a little jealous. :mad2:

Edited by johndeereelfman, July 29, 2013 - 09:02 PM.

• grnspot110, Texas Deere and Horse, Craig. and 5 others have said thanks

#50 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,315 Thanks
  • 4,047 posts

Posted July 29, 2013 - 09:01 PM

Troy that is one GREAT job that Caleb is doing!! And Caleb that finish looks better than some people can do with an actual spray gun!! :worshippy1:

• KennyP, johndeereelfman and jdelfjunior have said thanks

#51 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman
  • Contributor
  • 5,706 Thanks
  • 2,596 posts

Posted July 29, 2013 - 09:08 PM

Troy that is one GREAT job that Caleb is doing!! And Caleb that finish looks better than some people can do with an actual spray gun!! :worshippy1:

Thanks Chris. I forgot to mention, that Caleb's grandfather (my Dad) decided to repaint one of his own John Deere's, so Caleb is accepting this as a Grandfather/Grandson competition. Dad has yet to compliment Caleb on his work, and is at times, just down right harsh towards Caleb and his work, but I think Caleb is determined not to let my Dad get to him, and to let his work speak for itself. For only being 13, Caleb is handling this all very well, even though it hurts sometimes. If Dad don't soon change his ways, I think I'm going to have to step in and tell him enough is enough. Go Caleb! :dancingbanana:

• Texas Deere and Horse, Craig., jdelfjunior and 3 others have said thanks

#52 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,315 Thanks
  • 4,047 posts

Posted July 29, 2013 - 09:13 PM

Thanks Chris. I forgot to mention, that Caleb's grandfather (my Dad) decided to repaint one of his own John Deere's, so Caleb is accepting this as a Grandfather/Grandson competition. Dad has yet to compliment Caleb on his work, and is at times, just down right harsh towards Caleb and his work, but I think Caleb is determined not to let my Dad get to him, and to let his work speak for itself. For only being 13, Caleb is handling this all very well, even though it hurts sometimes. If Dad don't soon change his ways, I think I'm going to have to step in and tell him enough is enough. Go Caleb! :dancingbanana:

Troy with the results Caleb is getting with the paint, I don't think you will have to step in! I think the results will speak for them self! Of coarse your Dad may be mad at the fact that Caleb's JD looks better :D

• Craig., johndeereelfman, Trav1s and 2 others have said thanks

#53 grnspot110 ONLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,673 Thanks
  • 2,502 posts

Posted July 29, 2013 - 09:16 PM

:thumbs:  :thumbs:  :thumbs:

#54 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 33,254 Thanks
  • 42,701 posts

Posted July 29, 2013 - 09:19 PM

Caleb, that looks great! Follow your Dad's advice and you will have an outstanding tractor. Keep up the great work!

#55 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman
  • Contributor
  • 5,706 Thanks
  • 2,596 posts

Posted July 29, 2013 - 09:21 PM

Troy with the results Caleb is getting with the paint, I don't think you will have to step in! I think the results will speak for them self! Of coarse your Dad may be mad at the fact that Caleb's JD looks better :D

Yea, I guess you're right Chris. Results will tell in the end, but it just breaks my heart to see Caleb get all excited to show his Pappy, just to be let down, and have the heart torn right out of him. He's a good kid, but like me when I was young, he just wants to feel like he's accepted by his Pappy. I try to encourage him as much as possible, and try to make him feel better, but I think he thinks I just say good things because I'm his Dad. He really is doing a fantastic job. He's getting results that I have seen many of guys work years to try and accomplish. He tells me that his Great Uncle Gene would be proud of him if he was still alive, but unfortunately, he passed away the week after Memorial Day. He knows I'm proud of him, but I guess he just needed to hear his Pappy say it.

Edited by johndeereelfman, July 29, 2013 - 09:58 PM.

• KennyP, jdelfjunior and chris m have said thanks

#56 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,315 Thanks
  • 4,047 posts

Posted July 29, 2013 - 09:46 PM

Yea, I guess you're right Chris. Results will tell in the end, but it just breaks my heart to see Caleb get all excited to show his Pappy, just to be let down, and have the heart torn right out of him. He's a good kid, but like me when I was young, he just wants to feel like he's accepted by his Pappy. I try to encourage his as much as possible, and try to make him feel better, but I think he thinks I just say good things because I'm his Dad. He really is doing a fantastic job. He's getting results that I have seen many of guys work years to try and accomplish. He tells me that his Great Uncle Gene would be proud of him if he was still alive, but unfortunately, he passed away the week after Memorial Day. He knows I'm proud of him, but I guess he just needed to hear his Pappy say it.

Troy I know just what he is going through! Been there! That's why I try to find the humor in things when I can. I do hope your Dad does change for the better and learns to compliment and marvel at the work Caleb is doing. And you deserve a lot of credit too Troy, You are teaching Caleb some great skills that will help him all through out his life. And Patience is one that will be tested the most.

• Craig., KennyP, johndeereelfman and 1 other said thanks

#57 ckjakline OFFLINE  

ckjakline

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6073
  • 1,120 Thanks
  • 1,117 posts

Posted July 31, 2013 - 02:27 PM

Nice job Caleb.Keep up the good work. :thumbs:  :thumbs:

#58 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,933 Thanks
  • 2,514 posts

Posted July 31, 2013 - 09:36 PM

He's a good kid, but like me when I was young, he just wants to feel like he's accepted by his Pappy.

My old man was (was, he has softened up since I've been with my wife and had two little girls) like that too. Your solution could be easy enough, tell Pappy to straighten up or stay away... his turn to be hard was with you, not with Caleb.

Back on topic, great job teaching the boy how to do it right! That rear pan looks GREAT!

• KennyP, johndeereelfman and jdelfjunior have said thanks

#59 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,526 Thanks
  • 15,401 posts

Posted July 31, 2013 - 09:42 PM

Caleb and Troy, man that paint looks GREAT. I can't wait to see more. Very Nice Job Caleb!! :thumbs:

#60 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 33,254 Thanks
  • 42,701 posts

Posted July 31, 2013 - 10:04 PM

Caleb, I think you are doing a great job on that tractor. I'm sure it's better than any of mine! Keep up the good work!