#31 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted June 21, 2013 - 09:34 PM

Thanks everybody for the encourement and complements!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sorry I haven't been on a lot lately :wallbanging: . I'd like to give a big thanks to my dad for getting me started on this form and helping me restore my tractor, so THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you Caleb. I just want you to know that I'm really enjoying the time we are spending together on your tractor, and I'm honored that you invited me to work on it with you. It's a privilege to show you the ins and outs of doing a complete restoration, and I hope that you'll always think of the time we spent together, each and every time you drive it, or look at it. My part of the deal is almost over, and your time will soon start, and no matter what the tractor looks like in the end, just know that I'm very proud of you for doing your best. I admire your dedication, hard work, and your motivation behind the reason for restoring and for completing the tractor. Uncle Gene would be proud of you as well. You're a good kid, and I know you'll do well, not only on this tractor, but for anything you decide to conquer or achieve throughout your life. 

Love You!

Dad

• jdelfjunior, backwoods, twostep and 1 other said thanks

#32 jdelfjunior OFFLINE  

jdelfjunior

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 7656
  • 71 Thanks
  • 28 posts

Posted June 22, 2013 - 08:30 PM

Today my dad and I worked on my transmission. We stripped the pant, removed the gear shift, and taped the axles. Dad finally left me prime.

Caleb process 5 002.JPG Caleb process 5 003.JPG Caleb process 5 009.JPG Caleb process 5 011.JPG

We stripped the gear shift, and Dad polished the gear shift housing. Dad suggested that we paint the filler and drain plugs red, and although I wasn't crazy about that, I like how it turned out. I left Dad apply the finish coats of green, and I'm very happy with the results.

Caleb process 5 019.JPG Caleb process 5 020.JPG Caleb process 5 018.JPG Caleb process 5 030.JPG Caleb process 5 029.JPG

We also got the front axle and tie rods stripped, primed, and painted. It took Dad a long time to get the old green paint off of the tie rod rubber boots, but after they are Armoralled, I think they will look great.

Caleb process 5 021.JPG Caleb process 5 024.JPG Caleb process 5 026.JPG

While Dad was taking the steering column apart, he left me prime and paint the seat pan.

Caleb process 5 022.JPG Caleb process 5 032.JPG Caleb process 5 033.JPG Caleb process 5 023.JPG Caleb process 5 028.JPG Caleb process 5 027.JPG

Dad said it's supposed to be very hot tomorrow, and he's hoping that we can get a lot more stripped and painted. I'm really getting excited, and can't wait for it to get done. But Dad said, good things take time, and you will be able to tell if the job was rushed. Hopefully we will have more to post tomorrow.

• Texas Deere and Horse, KennyP, Littledeere and 7 others have said thanks

#33 Craig. OFFLINE  

Craig.

Ronald Craig

• Member No: 1842
  • 883 Thanks
  • 764 posts

Posted June 23, 2013 - 08:42 PM

Coming along nicely. As ur dad said don't rush it, every time I did I regretted every time. Vary nice tks for taking us along through the process. I'm enjoying this thread.
  • johndeereelfman and jdelfjunior have said thanks

#34 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted June 25, 2013 - 08:02 PM

Well since Caleb didn't update last night or tonight, I guess I will for him. Last night was pretty much just a night of second or third coating miscellaneous parts, and or wet sanding parts. We also got the motor degreased, cleaned, and taken apart. Internals look really good except for rust found on the exhaust valve. Both the intake and exhaust valves move and seat nice, but I'm still going to pull them out and clean them up some. When we removed the breather, we found a lot of oil, which I'm assuming can't be good? Don't know much about these little vertical motors, so I'm kind of flying by the seat of my pants here. I have contacted fellow member superaben with Old Paths Equipment, and I'm hoping he'll be able to come through on the some of the parts we need.

As for getting more parts stripped, we worked tonight on the front spindles, the manual lift arm, and the grille. I also wet sanded the practice fender. As of right now, I sprayed three coats of green on the fender (last week), wet sanded with 350 grit (Saturday), sprayed two more heavy coats of green (Sunday), wet sanded with 600 grit (last night), sprayed one heavy coat of green tonight, and will wet sand with 1000 grit tomorrow night. I'll spray one more heavy coat Thursday night, then wet sand with 2000 grit on Friday. Hopefully Saturday I'll be able to start polishing and buffing. I'll take pictures of the finished product then.

Edited by johndeereelfman, June 26, 2013 - 05:45 AM.

• Craig., jdelfjunior, twostep and 1 other said thanks

#35 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted June 29, 2013 - 08:52 PM

Updated practice painting, fender pictures. Still need to hit it yet with 2000 grit and polish, but this is what it looks like after applying a second coat of paint, after wet sanding with 1000 grit. It will be a real shame to strip this after getting the final results.   :boo_hoo:

Progress 7 001.JPG Progress 7 002.JPG

Here are other parts waiting for a 1000 grit wet sand. Steering column, lift quadrant, bumper, tie rod and drag link, and front axle:

Progress 7 008.JPG Progress 7 009.JPG Progress 7 010.JPG

Seat pan waiting for a 350 grit wet sand, and the steering yoke all painted and polished:

Progress 7 004.JPG Progress 7 007.JPG

Here's the footrests after soaking in Armorall for three days:

Progress 7 011.JPG Progress 7 012.JPG

And finally, a picture of the motor when we opened it up:

Progress 7 005.JPG Progress 7 006.JPG

• Alc, Texas Deere and Horse, Craig. and 8 others have said thanks

#36 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted June 29, 2013 - 09:03 PM

Troy and Caleb, You guys are doing a great job and coming around nicely. Can't wait to see it finished.

#37 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,455 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted June 30, 2013 - 06:04 AM

Looking good! Glad to see the progress!

#38 ckjakline OFFLINE  

ckjakline

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6073
  • 1,080 Thanks
  • 1,093 posts

Posted June 30, 2013 - 08:59 AM

Troy,and Caleb,  Lookin good keep up the good work.

#39 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • Member No: 8613
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 2,434 posts

Posted July 01, 2013 - 07:52 AM

its looking great guys keep up the good work and the attention to detail will make it last for years to come

• Craig., johndeereelfman and jdelfjunior have said thanks

#40 Craig. OFFLINE  

Craig.

Ronald Craig

• 883 Thanks
  • 764 posts

Posted July 01, 2013 - 10:56 PM

Troy,and Caleb, Vary nice work!

#41 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted July 06, 2013 - 09:13 PM

Have to take a break from the tractor guys. I'm currently working five ten hour days, and will be going to six and seven days a week shortly, so the tractor restoration is on hold for a little while. Have to take advantage of the work opportunity when I can, and Caleb wants to wait on me, as he is unsettled on doing the tractor by himself. We will update again when we get back on it. Sorry!

• Craig., jdelfjunior and twostep have said thanks

#42 jdelfjunior OFFLINE  

jdelfjunior

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 7656
  • 71 Thanks
  • 28 posts

Posted July 12, 2013 - 07:45 PM

Last night my dad picked up my fenders and frame from the sandblaster. After Dad fixed a couple of dents, I started priming them both. I have about 6 runs on the fenders and about 3 runs on the frame, that just shows you how bad I am with a spray can. Both of my pointer fingers on my right and left hand were aching. Dad said I'm building character.

progress 8 001.JPG progress 8 002.JPG progress 8 004.JPG progress 8 003.JPG progress 8 009.JPG progress 8 008.JPG progress 8 007.JPG

Hope you enjoyed the pics.

• Alc, Texas Deere and Horse, KennyP and 7 others have said thanks

#43 Craig. OFFLINE  

Craig.

Ronald Craig

• 883 Thanks
  • 764 posts

Posted July 12, 2013 - 11:54 PM

I definitely enjoyed the pic's, thank you. as far as the runs are concerned, you'll fix them.

#44 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,455 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted July 13, 2013 - 03:20 AM

Good to see things going again! Great pics.

#45 Trav1s OFFLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,603 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted July 13, 2013 - 06:59 AM

Looking good!  Love to see the father/son project coming along.