#1 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted June 11, 2013 - 09:14 PM

Last Summer, my son Caleb (jdelfjunior) bought himself a 1971 John Deere 70 lawn tractor on ebay for $100.00. The tractor didn't have a motor, but did come with a mower deck and front blade. When we went to pick up the tractor, I saw right away that the blade wasn't a John Deere blade, and wouldn't work on this tractor without some modification. As I was checking the tractor over, Caleb was telling the seller how excited he was, as this was the first tractor he ever bought, and how much he was looking forward to restoring it and taking it to tractor shows. The seller thought it was great that Caleb was taking such an interest in garden tractors, and turned around and gave Caleb $40.00 back. So Caleb got the tractor for $60.00.

Well, Caleb decided he wanted to restore the tractor, and then changed his mind and said he wanted to keep it original. He went back and forth like this for quite a while, until recently he finally made the decision that he wants to restore it. We searched ebay for a couple of weeks, and attended a couple of tractor shows, hoping to find a 7hp Tecumseh motor for his tractor, but unfortunately, we had no success. However we did come across some NOS decals, such as the grille decal, both hood decals, and one of the frame decals, that he won on ebay, and bought some miscellaneous items like a new muffler, air filter, three piece knob set and seat cushion from Hapco, and a new rubber grip for the deck lift handle. This year for his 13th Birthday, all he asked for was cash, as he wanted to purchase new tires and tubes. So we made contact with a seller on ebay, and Caleb purchased new 20/10.00x8 bar tires and tubes for the rear, and new 13x3.50-6 tri-rib tires and tubes for the front. He had a little money left over, so we headed to the local hardware store, and he purchased four cans of John Deere green paint, two cans of John Deere yellow paint, and two cans of gray automotive primer.

Finally, last Saturday we starting taking the tractor apart. He worked right along side me, and anything that would come apart, came apart. It's all in pieces, and everything is boxed up and ready to go to the local speed shop for acid dipping. I had a little trouble getting the left rear wheel off the axle, but after making a homemade wheel puller, we had it off in no time. The frame and all four rims will go to the sandblaster, hopefully the end of this week, or beginning of next. One of our fellow members Kenny (littledeere) donated a parts tractor to Caleb, so he now has a good, original, 7hp Tecumseh for under the hood. A big THANK YOU to Kenny. You're a lifesaver Kenny! The motor has good compression, but I'll have to work on the starter a little, as it's frozen in the engage position.

Here are pictures of the tractor before disassembly:

Calebs Tractor 004.JPG Calebs Tractor 002.JPG Calebs Tractor 003.JPG Calebs Tractor 005.JPG

Caleb would like to do a detailed post of each step he accomplishes, as he always enjoys reading everyone else's posts, so I told him I'd get him started and help him out as needed. As for restoring the tractor, the only help I will be giving him, will be painting the rims and mounting the tires, as I hate overspray!!!

Everything else will be done by Caleb, as he wants to do this himself. I agreed. I want him to learn what it takes to restore a tractor, and I'm eager to see him learn how to have patience, and to see just how much of a detailed person he really is. This will be a test for me, but I'm willing to put my perfectionism to the side, and just be proud of the results that he accomplishes. I hope you guys enjoy, and will encourage him long the way.

I'll try and post pictures of all of the disassembled parts tomorrow night, so you all can compare the before and after parts later on down the road when he gets the tractor complete.

Edited by johndeereelfman, June 11, 2013 - 09:25 PM.

• MAV, Gtractor, Alc and 18 others have said thanks

#2 grnspot110 OFFLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,395 posts

Posted June 11, 2013 - 09:20 PM

Looks like a good one to start!   :thumbs:   ~~  Lowell

• johndeereelfman, jdelfjunior and jdelfette have said thanks

#3 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,583 posts

Posted June 11, 2013 - 09:27 PM

Awsome! Glad to see the passion to collect and restore passed on. I will be following this restore also. Good luck Caleb, and remember, it's fun and enjoy doing it. Dad, take a deep breath and see how how proud your son is of you for helping him. Good Luck and we are looking forward to the completion. Roger.

#4 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted June 11, 2013 - 09:57 PM

That's awesome troy! What a great story too!

Good luck Caleb! I'll be looking forward to following along on your progress! You are already off to a great start. Just take your time and if you have any questions about anything just ask away. Have fun and good luck :thumbs:

• johndeereelfman and jdelfjunior have said thanks

#5 Littledeere OFFLINE  

Littledeere

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2778
  • 1,545 Thanks
  • 1,443 posts

Posted June 11, 2013 - 10:28 PM

Troy I'm sure with your schooling he will do just fine

#6 Delmar OFFLINE  

Delmar
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5039
  • 2,323 Thanks
  • 2,416 posts

Posted June 11, 2013 - 10:34 PM

I can't wait to see the progress!  I'd bet you two are having a blast doing this together!

#7 jd.rasentrac ONLINE  

jd.rasentrac

Admirer of DEERE enjoyneering and design!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10327
  • 4,444 Thanks
  • 3,991 posts

Posted June 12, 2013 - 03:51 AM

teamwork is always good, but teamwork w/ your daughter or son is the best :thumbs:

• hamman, johndeereelfman, jdelfjunior and 1 other said thanks

#8 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted June 12, 2013 - 05:43 AM

teamwork is always good, but teamwork w/ your daughter or son is the best :thumbs:

Wolfgang,

My daughter (jdelfette) has her own 70 lawn tractor as well, and she is wanting her's taken apart and repainted, except she picked out fluorescent orange, green and yellow as her colors. Looking forward to spending time with her while working on her's, but I just can't seem to bring myself to painting those colors just quite yet. I'm desparately trying to talk her out it, and just going with standard John Deere green and yellow, but as of yet, she won't hear of it.
  • hamman, Craig., Littledeere and 5 others have said thanks

#9 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted June 12, 2013 - 06:12 AM

I'm looking forward to hearing about the progess.  :thumbs:

Ben W.

#10 jd.rasentrac ONLINE  

jd.rasentrac

• Contributor
  • 4,444 Thanks
  • 3,991 posts

Posted June 12, 2013 - 07:32 AM

Wolfgang,

My daughter (jdelfette) has her own 70 lawn tractor as well, and she is wanting her's taken apart and repainted, except she picked out fluorescent orange, green and yellow as her colors. Looking forward to spending time with her while working on her's, but I just can't seem to bring myself to painting those colors just quite yet. I'm desparately trying to talk her out it, and just going with standard John Deere green and yellow, but as of yet, she won't hear of it.

But Troy, always remember - your daughter is young and in some years she'll see the "colour-question" as you. Or not and she's not longer interested in this hobby. In former times, I was an advocate for the "pure tenet", too. But today - I see it in a different way.

Wear your sunglasses when you paint the Deere, like jdelfette love it - and maybe she'll love you a lil bit more.

• hamman, KennyP, Littledeere and 3 others have said thanks

#11 A.C.T. OFFLINE  

A.C.T.

Another Classic Tractor

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 11085
  • 2,363 Thanks
  • 2,496 posts

Posted June 12, 2013 - 08:36 AM

I know it will turn out great! Thanks for sharing.    imagesCAWSMQAK.jpg

#12 JDGuy445 OFFLINE  

JDGuy445
  • Member No: 10419
  • 356 Thanks
  • 428 posts

Posted June 12, 2013 - 11:33 AM

Great way to start out for the kids! A 110 was my first project and it was fun! A good time with your kids.

#13 Craig. OFFLINE  

Craig.

Ronald Craig

• Member No: 1842
  • 883 Thanks
  • 764 posts

Posted June 12, 2013 - 12:12 PM

That is a great tractor to start out on. I'll continue with this thread as well!

#14 jd.rasentrac ONLINE  

jd.rasentrac

• Contributor
  • 4,444 Thanks
  • 3,991 posts

Posted June 12, 2013 - 02:52 PM

Great way to start out for the kids! A 110 was my first project and it was fun! A good time with your kids.

My second son's first tractor was a JD 710 from Mannheim. He was 13 years old and earned money to purchase and restore his tractor. Btw, the 710 was the first tractor from the german JD factory which was exported to Canada.

• hamman, johndeereelfman, Trav1s and 2 others have said thanks

#15 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted June 12, 2013 - 07:11 PM

Here are all the parts laid out and ready to go to either the acid dip tank or the sandblaster.

Attached Thumbnails

• Calebs Birthday and Tractor 038.JPG
  • Calebs Birthday and Tractor 039.JPG
  • Calebs Birthday and Tractor 040.JPG
  • Calebs Birthday and Tractor 041.JPG
  • Calebs Birthday and Tractor 042.JPG
  • Calebs Birthday and Tractor 044.JPG
  • Calebs Birthday and Tractor 043.JPG

Edited by johndeereelfman, June 12, 2013 - 08:13 PM.

• Bolens 1000, hamman, jdelfjunior and 3 others have said thanks