• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 sdo OFFLINE  

sdo
  • Member No: 37992
  • 1 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted June 11, 2013 - 08:24 PM

Hello I have just picked up a Ridemaster that my son (he is 7) and I are going to rebuild for him. We went to an antique tractor show on the weekend and my son got hooked, I found the Ridemaster the next day and bought it for $100.
Unfortunately the motor did not come with the unit (stolen long ago) but I did find a Wisconsin ABM engine the next day, so I think we are all good.

Now for my question I am looking for dimensions and info on the drive pulley, as I will need to make one.
If anyone can chime in on the diameter and info on the friction discs that would be great.

I have searched the whole forum and I think I have read every ridemaster tread on here, don't tell my boss I'm doing it at work. And I have not found the info I seek.

Thanks in advance

#2 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,183 Thanks
  • 5,209 posts

Posted June 11, 2013 - 09:26 PM

You Ridemaster should have wisconsin AKN with the extended flywheel.

Does this help any?

clutchdisc.jpg

#3 sdo OFFLINE  

sdo
  • 1 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted June 12, 2013 - 10:59 AM

An original drawing, what could be better, thank you very much.

Does anyone have pics of the pulley, with close ups of the friction discs?

I am assuming the friction discs are made of a material similar to brake linings, can someone confirm this?

My plan is to try and use an off the self 3 rib pulley and machine it to accept a set of home made friction discs, think this will work?

I will keep on the look out for an AKN motor, but for now the ABM will have to do (it was cheep, local, and runs like a top). I have read that the extended flywheel was used for the gen set option, is there any other differences between the motors I should worry about?

Thanks in advance.

#4 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,183 Thanks
  • 5,209 posts

Posted June 12, 2013 - 04:12 PM

An original drawing, what could be better, thank you very much.

Does anyone have pics of the pulley, with close ups of the friction discs?

I am assuming the friction discs are made of a material similar to brake linings, can someone confirm this?

My plan is to try and use an off the self 3 rib pulley and machine it to accept a set of home made friction discs, think this will work?

I will keep on the look out for an AKN motor, but for now the ABM will have to do (it was cheep, local, and runs like a top). I have read that the extended flywheel was used for the gen set option, is there any other differences between the motors I should worry about?

Thanks in advance.

Aluminum or brass would work for the friction discs any thing thats not to hard to were out the trans pulley.

Member JDcrawler aka Ray has a good photo of one he made up that I cant find were I saved it. Maybe he will post it here when he reads my post. ust the

Just the flywheel is diffrent. Its going to be hard for you to find one with the right flywheel.

#5 sdo OFFLINE  

sdo
  • 1 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted June 18, 2013 - 01:04 PM

Bump to the top.

Anyone got pics of the engine side pulley?

Thanks

#6 jdcrawler OFFLINE  

jdcrawler

tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1639
  • 3,173 Thanks
  • 1,724 posts

Posted June 18, 2013 - 02:15 PM

Here is what a factory pulley looks like.

518.jpg

I built one once using a regular 3-groove pulley.

Each side of the pulley is turned down a little to leave a small step for locating the reversing disc.

The reversing disc for this pulley were made out of aluminum.

They work OK but are noisey.

I have since changed them and made the reversing disc out of brake pad material that I got from Mc-Master Carr.

The brake pad material grips better than the aluminum did and is quiet.

DCP_0015.jpg

DCP_0016.jpg

DCP_0017.jpg

Edited by jdcrawler, June 18, 2013 - 02:17 PM.

#7 sdo OFFLINE  

sdo
  • 1 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted June 20, 2013 - 04:40 PM

thank you very much, this is exactly what I was looking for.

My son and I have the Ridemaster all stripped down and are starting the cleaning and prep process for paint. I also got a call from the guy I bought it from, he found some more parts, so I picked up 2 18" front tires and rims, a single bottom plow and a set of cultivators. 

#8 craigswork OFFLINE  

craigswork
  • Member No: 26272
  • 0 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted August 24, 2013 - 08:53 PM

First time ever posting on a social thingy.... So please excuse any goofs.  Your conversation is hitting home.  I just acquired a very rusty-beautiful Ridemaster.  Stuff all appears to be present and mostly functional except there is no drive pulley.  I appreciate  all the information that has been shared.  Just wondering if  anyone might be willing to sell such a pulley since I am not as handy as you folks.  Please let me know if anyone is interested.  Thanks

#9 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,183 Thanks
  • 5,209 posts

Posted August 24, 2013 - 09:15 PM

First time ever posting on a social thingy.... So please excuse any goofs.  Your conversation is hitting home.  I just acquired a very rusty-beautiful Ridemaster.  Stuff all appears to be present and mostly functional except there is no drive pulley.  I appreciate  all the information that has been shared.  Just wondering if  anyone might be willing to sell such a pulley since I am not as handy as you folks.  Please let me know if anyone is interested.  Thanks

Hi welcome to GTtalk.

Do you have photos of your Ridemaster? I would like to add your tractor to my list of Ridemasters I have going and date it for you. All I need is the engine type and serial number also the tractor model and serial numbers.

I could look into building you one I dont know how much time you would give me.