Shop Vacuum

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Earl OFFLINE  

• Member No: 34405
  • 76 Thanks
  • 120 posts

Posted June 11, 2013 - 08:18 PM

When we bought our house, it had a Kenmore central vacuum system in it. Julie didn't like it so I pulled it out to open up space in the basement and free up an electrical circuit. Well I was down stairs one evening piddling on something and saw the vacuum sitting there. I decided that it needed to be put to use since I probably couldn't sell a 80's vintage central vac system.

Well, putting it in the garage seemed like the best use. I've thought about it for a few weeks, trying to develop a plan of attack. The PO knocked a horrible hole through a block to get power out to the
old pool so I just used a punch and hammer to open up the hole till a 1 1/2" 90* fitting would fit in it snug.

I mounted the vacuum to the wall with tap-cons and started working with the pipes. I figured the gravity would pull stuff down if I didn't do a loop above the horizontal line for each drop so I wound up with this.

Posted Image

The wall with the vacuum will have another drop near the back and then contine around to the back of the garage near the work bench. The 90* in the top of the picture will cross over the shop to the opposite wall and have two drops on it. 1/2 way across it will have a drop through the front between the doors with an outside drop to help with cleaning out the cars. Each drop will have a power switch on 4-way wiring for easy operation and use Shop-vac branded hoses and accessories so finding parts won't be difficult.

It should be really nice to have once I get it all set up. I will probably have around $150 in pipe, wiring, switches and accessories when I'm done.
  • hamman, boyscout862, JRJ and 1 other said thanks

#2 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,275 Thanks
  • 4,031 posts

Posted June 11, 2013 - 09:40 PM

That was a good idea. It is always nice finding a use for something that has been just sitting around. Plus it will be nice for you not to have to drag a shop vac around anymore. Good job :thumbs:

• boyscout862 said thank you

#3 Earl OFFLINE  

• Member No: 34405
  • 76 Thanks
  • 120 posts

Posted June 24, 2013 - 06:40 AM

On the subject of repurposing parts, it turns out the vacuum hose from our old pool we are tearing down fit the PVC piping with a little trimming. This gives me about 25-30' of vacuum hose! I ran an extension cord over to it this weekend and plugged the open spouts for a test run. I believe it is going to work out really well!

I've got to buy some more piping to finish the plumbing so it will be ready use.
  • HDWildBill said thank you