8 replies to this topic

#1 ErnRemy OFFLINE  

ErnRemy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1300
  • 19 Thanks
  • 148 posts

Posted November 06, 2010 - 12:24 AM

I have a chance at a 24hp onan, 2 questions first how much diffence will it make over a 20 hp and are they physically the same engine?? It will be going in an 1855a for a fel tractor

#2 coop OFFLINE  

coop

• Member No: 669
  • 24 Thanks
  • 103 posts

Posted November 06, 2010 - 09:00 AM

I recently purchased an onan 24 performer, It is 4" wider and about the same taller, the base/oil pan fits the motor mount perfectly. I did have it running,Now I need the time to put together the drive train on my parts tractor to see if the hydrostatic drive is any good. as for power I have no Idea yet.I suppose it all has to do with if the pump can take it.

#3 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted November 06, 2010 - 09:13 AM

I recently purchased an onan 24 performer, It is 4" wider and about the same taller, the base/oil pan fits the motor mount perfectly. I did have it running,Now I need the time to put together the drive train on my parts tractor to see if the hydrostatic drive is any good. as for power I have no Idea yet.I suppose it all has to do with if the pump can take it.

What did you put it in, and did it fit without modifying the sheet metal?

#4 coop OFFLINE  

coop

• Member No: 669
  • 24 Thanks
  • 103 posts

Posted November 06, 2010 - 02:25 PM

I put it in my 1655.....haven't got to modifying the hood yet

#5 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted November 06, 2010 - 02:28 PM

The pump is rated at 24+HP, so that isn't a problem as long as the pump is still in good condition.
  • coop said thank you

#6 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted November 06, 2010 - 07:54 PM

A Onan 24hp would be pretty cool. My 1655 has a 20 in it now. I haven't really had much of a chance to really use the tractor and the carb needs cleaned and it needs some other work done to it. So I don't really even know how the 20hp would do. I would think going from 18hp to 24hp would be a really noticeable difference but maybe 20 to 24 wouldn't make much difference.

#7 ErnRemy OFFLINE  

ErnRemy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1300
  • 19 Thanks
  • 148 posts

Posted November 06, 2010 - 08:31 PM

does anybody have a schematic drawing of the dimensions of onan engines I have been hunting for one since i found out about the engine. I am not a purist but I am unwilling to cut tin to make it fit. I know the onan 20 performer is a little tight now I don't think another 4 inches would fit under the hood

#8 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted November 06, 2010 - 08:34 PM

I highly doubt there is any way to fit the 24 under there without altering the sheet metal.

#9 TUDOR OFFLINE  

TUDOR

Tractorholic

• Member No: 915
  • 543 Thanks
  • 497 posts

Posted November 17, 2010 - 01:18 PM

I have an Onan P220 in my 1655 and it was a direct replacement for the BF that was original.

The transmission will only make use of 15 horsepower although with permission from Sundstrand and some mods it will use up to about 40 horsepower, but I don't think the rear axle will like that. Anything over 15 hp is useable for PTO attachments and a slight increase in accelleration only.

Bob