Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted June 11, 2013 - 10:52 AM

Who knows all about pressure washer pumps? :D

I fired my pressure washer up this past weekend and it's not working properly.  When the engine isn't running, I have normal flow through the pump when the trigger is squeezed.   When the engine and pump are running, I get nothing out at all.  I disconnected the output hose and the problem is the same so it's definitely an internal pump problem.

I did a lot of googling and reading this morning and there seems to be disagreement on what might be wrong.  Most of what I read said the unloader valve would cause this if sticking but one or two sources say that if the unloader valve is sticking I wouldn't have any flow through the pump when it's not running, either.  There were also several comments about a sticking inlet valve not allowing water into the pump but I'm not really sure what they're talking about as I saw no "inlet" valve other than the check valves.

I did disassemble the valve body and everything looks like new inside.  No mineral buildup at all.  All six check valves were fine and I found nothing wrong with the unloader valve.  The pump input shaft turns freely and the three pistons move freely as the pump turns.  I reassembled everything and still no change.

By the way, it was winterized and actually lived in the garage last winter so no freezing.

Any thoughts?

#2 WNYTractorTinkerer OFFLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,302 Thanks
  • 4,657 posts

Posted June 11, 2013 - 11:06 AM

Sticky valve(s) causing the failure of flow..  There are three I think down in the pump outlet that should switch the pressure from bypass to your hose..  Take a look-see in that area..  I got nuthin else for ya..

#3 nbent OFFLINE  

nbent

customizer

• Member No: 8320
  • 628 Thanks
  • 520 posts

Posted June 11, 2013 - 08:37 PM

ours did that and it turned out the seals were bad, we couldnt find a seal kit so we bought a new pump

• Alc said thank you

#4 WNYTractorTinkerer OFFLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,302 Thanks
  • 4,657 posts

Posted June 12, 2013 - 06:46 AM

BTW I just replaced a pump for a friend who didn't winterize the thing..   :wallbanging:

Lots of different prices out there once you look around 'the cloud'..  Shop around and you'll save ~$100!!  I found the one he needed on Amazon and it was free shipping..   Look up the pump's part number and Google that..  Shop for the best deal and your golden..   :thumbs:

• Alc said thank you

#5 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted June 12, 2013 - 09:23 AM

I had the same problem with a washer that was given to me.  It was the unloader valve.  I messed with it for a while and could not get it to work so I gutted it and now I have out put.  The only problem is when I release the trigger the engine will die,  but it works fine other wise and it has been that way going on 2 years.

#6 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted June 19, 2013 - 07:59 AM

I did miss disassembling one section of the unloader valve the first time.  This time it came completely apart and I lubed everything and reassembled.  Nothing was stuck in the valve and it moved freely.  The valve had to be moving or it would have been in bypass all the time, not just when the pump was running.  As expected, there was no change in operation after re-doing the unloader.

Another complete tear down of the valve body still turned up no visible problems and it still didn't work after putting it back together.

I could buy rebuild kits for the various sections of the valve body but without knowing exactly which part was causing my problem I would need all the available kits and that expense is actually much more than a completely new pump so that's the direction I went.  The new pump arrived yesterday and everything worked fine so case closed.