10 replies to this topic

#1 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted June 11, 2013 - 10:17 AM

More and more I am seeig the need/want for a loader around my place.

No doubt power steering would be an asset!!

But affordable GT's with power steering are hard to come by.

I see most machines out there with loaders(or could be fitted with loaders) do not have power steering.

How many are using loaders without power steering? and How hard are they to steer?

Edited by JD DANNELS, June 11, 2013 - 10:18 AM.

#2 AverageJoe OFFLINE  

AverageJoe

• Contributor
  • Member No: 365
  • 104 Thanks
  • 142 posts

Posted June 11, 2013 - 11:55 AM

It depends on what you expect to do.

Reasonable as I see it. 

- 400lbs max load with a GT

- Don't turn the wheels when the tractor is not moving. 

- Boatloads of rear counterweight. 

• JD DANNELS said thank you

#3 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,504 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted June 11, 2013 - 02:26 PM

AJ pretty much summed it up.

Talk to Tudor, he has a loader on his Massey 1655 and has used for close to 2500 hours without power steering. I think Daniel did his for awhile on his MF also. I have the small bucket on my Sears 16/6, I can lift about 350-400#'s in it. Steering gets a little hard, but as long as I am moving, not really a big deal. Kind of like the older cars without PS, not hard to do while moving, but while sitting...ugh.

#4 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted June 11, 2013 - 02:35 PM

Had my power steering added before I even finished my loader, but I've driven larger farm tractors without PS using a loader, and pretty much the same as with a GT, as the loader weight capacity of the bigger tractors setups are close to proportional to their size as the GT's are.  Boils down to what AJ said.....no move, no turn!  Just the slightest movement and they will steer pretty easily, and JDD, your tractor has a strong steering system, so it would likely do pretty good with manual steering.

#5 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted June 11, 2013 - 03:20 PM

Had my power steering added before I even finished my loader, but I've driven larger farm tractors without PS using a loader, and pretty much the same as with a GT, as the loader weight capacity of the bigger tractors setups are close to proportional to their size as the GT's are.  Boils down to what AJ said.....no move, no turn!  Just the slightest movement and they will steer pretty easily, and JDD, your tractor has a strong steering system, so it would likely do pretty good with manual steering.

Well actually about 90% of what I do around my place a Loader would just be in the way mowing or tilling grading and snow removal , I would like a loader to turn the Compost pile  and loading mulch on the trailer to move from the far end of the property to my garden (The Pitch fork is getting old)etc.

So I was not thinking of putting a loader on the 318 or the Ford 1500.

I have wanted a small skidloader for a long time, but have not found one in my price range.

The wife wants to do a bunch of landscaping. Taking out 2 RR Tie Retaining walls and replacing it with stone, Turning 1/2 the backyard into a patio with paver blocks (Thats going to require moving a lot of fill sand) etc.

I was thinking of getting a JD 212-214 or comparable I'm not too brand loyal and putting a loader on as a dedicated loader unit. I did not think it would be that big of an issue, I did grow up before Power Steering was thought about but my memory is not what it used to be so wanted some input.

I don't need to lift a lot of weight( 2-4 hundred pounds). But have noticed it takes a lot of shovels to fill even a small loader bucket! 

Edited by JD DANNELS, June 11, 2013 - 03:33 PM.

#6 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted June 11, 2013 - 04:16 PM

My plan is to take loader off the SS14 and put in on my Case 446 which will have PS first, :smilewink:  I have all the parts ready just need the time. Using the loader w/o PS just wasn't any fun in confined spaces around house. I guess around a farm or other large area's with out  lawn it wouldn't matter as much.

#7 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted June 11, 2013 - 07:48 PM

Have you thought about some sort of three point hitch bucket?  It might work for you, no need for a dedicated machine, no steering issues, etc.

18897d1073386858-3ph-bucket-w-hydraulic-

#8 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,629 posts

Posted June 11, 2013 - 08:32 PM

My PK doesn't have p/s with tri ribs on front and it does get a little hard but it also has a spinner ball on it and that helps a lot.

Attached Thumbnails

• 0000000000480.jpg

#9 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted June 11, 2013 - 11:32 PM

Done it both ways and I for one really like the power steering with a loader. If you decide to go without PS than the best advice I can give you is to keep your front tires inflated to the max pressure they are rated for. Even a few pounds lower will increase the steering effort required quite a bit. 

I purchased both of my large Garden tractors very reasonably because they had issues. One had a bad mower deck gearbox, $400.00 and the other some rodents had chewed up the wiring, $250.00. 

Good luck.

• Alc and JD DANNELS have said thanks

#10 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted June 12, 2013 - 11:11 AM

Have you thought about some sort of three point hitch bucket?  It might work for you, no need for a dedicated machine, no steering issues, etc.

18897d1073386858-3ph-bucket-w-hydraulic-

I do have a 3 point trip bucket for the Ford 1500. It does not lift high enough to load my trailer. I collect mulch for the garden and can get 2-4 trailer loads per mowing. I'm either dumping the bags from the powerflow into the trailer or raking (w/Landscape Rake) and pitching the piles with a fork. So that is a big reason I want a loader.

#11 ghack OFFLINE  

ghack
  • Member No: 36839
  • 29 Thanks
  • 35 posts

Posted June 13, 2013 - 07:47 AM

So what methods are there for installing power steering on the gt's

Thanks

Todd