• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 randmgraham OFFLINE  

randmgraham

• Member No: 6342
  • 4 Thanks
  • 27 posts

Posted June 10, 2013 - 11:17 PM

was wondering if by chance i wanted to repower my massey 10  or upgrade power what would be a suitable motor i was thinkin hp range from 12 and up preferably around a 16 to 18 hp but dont know if it would tuck in under hood or not I have a 10 hp tecumseh on it but it starts good but smokes quite abit and on the hils in my yard doesnt quite have the ump id like it to have

just trying to get some ideas an input on it

#2 Dieselcubmike OFFLINE  

Dieselcubmike
  • Member No: 11127
  • 1,327 Thanks
  • 1,511 posts

Posted June 10, 2013 - 11:50 PM

Are you looking to stay with a certain brand? Kohlers are absolute powerhouses and would seem like that what you need. Though they are a bit bigger and heavier for their size they do have the endurance and power. I would go with maybe a 14hp or 16 at the max since the 16 is already a bit unit. The 18 hp kohler is hard to find to and if you do get one youll be expecting to be paying quite a price and parts too.

#3 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 36782
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted June 10, 2013 - 11:56 PM

12hp kohler k301 would more than you need on that machine. The 12hp are the most common and are real popular with the pullers because the crankshaft doesn't need counter balance,

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 11, 2013 - 05:36 AM

The chinese clone 15hp would be a nice engine if it would fit. The one sold at HD with the alternator and electric start is a good quality motor. I think the maker is Launtop. Not sure of the spelling but it's a high quality clone. A fresh 12hp as used in the MF12 would likely be the easiest fit!  

#5 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted June 11, 2013 - 06:18 AM

If you want to use an old engine, put in a good Kohler.  There's nothing wrong with a Tecumseh, though, if you get one that has been taken care of. 

Ben W.

• Dieselcubmike said thank you

#6 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted June 11, 2013 - 07:35 AM

Any collector value of the tractor is greatly diminished by changing engines, but more than that you will need 3-4 more hp from a new model engine to match the original, and from the looks at the bone yard behind most mower shops a new engine will last about 5 years if you are going to actually use the tractor. There are many factors, most are particular to your situation, but given the situation with parts I too would be concerned with using the Tech engine. A kohler 10 or 12 should fit good, give lots of power and years of service. If I went that route I would want a complete rebuilt engine, about 500 dollars, probably twice what a chinese clone is but I try not to buy clones or chinese, your really do get what you pay for. The sound of the kohler is pretty awesome as well

#7 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted June 11, 2013 - 07:57 AM

I am one of the people on here who have installed a Chinese clone on the older MF tractors.  Here is a thread about it.

http://gardentractor...10395-it-lives/

Member DH1 is the one who showed me it could be done, here:

http://gardentractor...r-mf12-with-r71

I would say that upgrading to around 12 to 14 Hp is as far as you need to go.  You will mainly use the power to run attachments like the mowing deck or the snowblower, directly from the engine.  I would tentatively say that if your tractor is lacking umph going up hills and smoking, you probably don't have good rings or good compression, which means your 10 Hp engine isn't making 10 Hp any more.

I have mixed feelings about the Chinese clone.  It has worked well for me for about one year now, so that is a plus.  I'm not sure how repairable it will be.  Time will tell I suppose.  Some one has installed a Kohler in one of these and I can't find the thread at the moment, but it should be in this forum if you look back.

• IamSherwood said thank you

#8 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted June 11, 2013 - 12:23 PM

I like old iron as much as anyone.  With good ol American brands(Briggs) sourcing off shore(and non American companies building plants in North America) it's hard to know when your buying American.

But I'm hearing a lot of good things about the Clones and the price is right.

I know I bought a Troy Built Super Bronco a year ago with one on it. Starts first pull everytime and sips fuel, and is super quiet.

I'm very pleased with it.

I know of a guy who repowered a Bobcat 371 with a 13 hp clone , replaced a 16 hp Kohler and he never complainrd about power.

His only complaint was a low amp charging system to run extra lights(for moving snow at night).  I think he went to LED's for the lower amp draw.  That seems to vary with different ones? I understand they run from 3-14 amps charge?

So if you plan to run lights you might want to watch that spec if you go with a clone.

Edited by JD DANNELS, June 11, 2013 - 12:31 PM.

#9 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,626 Thanks
  • 7,669 posts

Posted June 11, 2013 - 01:06 PM

Was the original engine Tecumseh? How about replacing it with the engine that came in the MF12? There's no reason you have to  replace it with a China Motor. If I remember right the MF has some shrouding around the engine on the left. Do you want to cobble that up?

#10 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted June 11, 2013 - 04:13 PM

If your in this hobby, or any kind of general mechanical projects, one must be very careful about decisions that are driven by money. These old tractors lasted 40 years and when the time comes to rebuild or repair them,my bet is that money spent on old iron is better than money spent on new pot metal . If just for the reason of the heavy torque producing flywheel that NO new engine or clone can begin to match, I would go to old iron. More and more companies want us to live in a disposable world, whether its a Chinese company or an American company, their profits are driven on you buying 10 lawn mowers in your lifetime, not one. That said I like to thumb my nose at them by reusing old equipment, but what good is that if I fall victim to their ploy and buy a engine made of aluminum, plastic, and pot metal. And really how economical will that decision be if that engine last a couple of years, versus a lifetime from a properly rebuilt Kohler or Tecumseh. This is just my feeling on the situation and in no way should be taken as anything more

• KC9KAS, LilysDad, pigsitter and 2 others have said thanks

#11 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted June 12, 2013 - 10:43 AM

I would have the one you have checked for a re build like mentioned your running with a lot less than 10hp. I have a 12hp Tecumseh in my MF12 & it's a beast. A nice 12hp would fit real nice. Please don't chop up the metal to run an after market exhaust if you go china.

• IamSherwood and OkieGt have said thanks

#12 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted June 12, 2013 - 04:02 PM

I would have the one you have checked for a re build like mentioned your running with a lot less than 10hp. I have a 12hp Tecumseh in my MF12 & it's a beast. A nice 12hp would fit real nice. Please don't chop up the metal to run an after market exhaust if you go china.

Thank you

#13 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted June 12, 2013 - 04:18 PM

I am currently working on re-powering my 67MF12, I took the motor out of it to put in my 66MF10 since the 10s motor was N/G and the 12s motor is good. The 66MF10 now runs real good and strong.

The motor I'm wanting to put in my MF12 is a Tecumseh OH160. Only modification to the tractor will be a short fuel tank instead of the long one that's in it.

I feel even though it's not original, it suits the tractor and the extra HP would be a nice bonus.

• IamSherwood said thank you

#14 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted June 12, 2013 - 04:29 PM

I am currently working on re-powering my 67MF12, I took the motor out of it to put in my 66MF10 since the 10s motor was N/G and the 12s motor is good. The 66MF10 now runs real good and strong.

The motor I'm wanting to put in my MF12 is a Tecumseh OH160. Only modification to the tractor will be a short fuel tank instead of the long one that's in it.

I feel even though it's not original, it suits the tractor and the extra HP would be a nice bonus.

I know a guy that has a 12 hydro with transaxle problem with a good OH160,for 150.00

#15 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted June 12, 2013 - 05:56 PM

I picked up this tractor last yr to get the motor, OH160.

$(KGrHqFHJBEE+P398RfqBP68CUyn1g~~48_20.JPG