• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,602 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted June 16, 2013 - 06:11 PM

I understand the money part.  If I had the money, I'd love to restore full size tractors, but I have neither the money, time, or space to do it, so GT's fit the bill.  Right now I don't have money for more GT projects either!  

• Jack said thank you

#17 mopargoob OFFLINE  

mopargoob
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 14544
  • 56 Thanks
  • 40 posts

Posted June 17, 2013 - 10:52 PM

slight delay on the pics, as my better half had me volunteered for something completely different on saturday and sunday.  I DID get the accessories and attachments brochure uploaded to the appropriate section in the manuals under MTD/brochures.  Ive made plans to go tuesday and work on the stuff and hopefully my wife doesn't take the camera with her when she's gone for most of the week :smilewink:

Edited by mopargoob, June 17, 2013 - 10:58 PM.

• HALFSCALE, VTXrider and Sawdust have said thanks

#18 Canawler ONLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted June 18, 2013 - 03:48 PM

Thanks for the accessories brochure.  I found that VERY interesting.

#19 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted July 09, 2013 - 02:42 PM

Bought time for pictures here isn't it??  Must be making up this whole posting, heh? 

• Jack said thank you

#20 Arti ONLINE  

Arti
  • Member No: 11282
  • 1,288 Thanks
  • 962 posts

Posted July 10, 2013 - 07:12 AM

I don't really know if there is a bluebook for GT s However this one seems a bit pricey to me.

madison.craigslist.org/grd/3901655847.html

Edited by Arti, July 10, 2013 - 07:14 AM.

• Jack said thank you

#21 VTXrider OFFLINE  

VTXrider
  • Member No: 16031
  • 463 Thanks
  • 332 posts

Posted July 10, 2013 - 05:10 PM

I don't really know if there is a bluebook for GT s However this one seems a bit pricey to me.

madison.craigslist.org/grd/3901655847.html

One too many zeros. A misprint for sure............. 

• Jack said thank you

#22 mopargoob OFFLINE  

mopargoob
  • Contributor
  • 56 Thanks
  • 40 posts

Posted August 04, 2013 - 05:26 PM

I apologize for the delay, but life stepped in and had other ideas how I should spend my time, but here goes.

also, if the pics aren't exactly correct, sorry, first time uploading.

I do believe I gotta clean those fins on the hydro.  already tried to temporarily repair front wheel bearings until I can make full bronze bushings for them, but the spindles are scored from the plastic bushings and no lube.

am also going to rebuild the deck with all new bearings and seals, (if I can find em)

now I got to look for a parts tractor.  :thumbs:

Attached Thumbnails

• P8040360.JPG
  • P8040363.JPG
  • P8040362.JPG
  • P8040370.JPG
  • P8040361.JPG

• MFDAC, Jack, Sawdust and 1 other said thanks

#23 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5815
  • 2,026 Thanks
  • 1,122 posts

Posted August 04, 2013 - 05:36 PM

I apologize for the delay, but life stepped in and had other ideas how I should spend my time, but here goes.
also, if the pics aren't exactly correct, sorry, first time uploading.

I do believe I gotta clean those fins on the hydro.  already tried to temporarily repair front wheel bearings until I can make full bronze bushings for them, but the spindles are scored from the plastic bushings and no lube.
am also going to rebuild the deck with all new bearings and seals, (if I can find em)
now I got to look for a parts tractor.  :thumbs:

Looks like that MTD has a lot of potential! I have an older one that will be a project someday. I donno about finding bearings, I ran all over heck yesterday to find a spindle bearing for my old Murray that I had to drag out while the engine is out of my MF12. It is a 5/8 (.625)" shaft. Everywhere I went the bearing that was listed as a 5/8" measured .667! I don't know how the heck that is supposed to work with over .040" of slop!

BUT I see an awesome post war GMC! I have 4 GMC's and they are my main hobby! Can you tell us more about it and pics too?

Later---MFDAC, aka GMCDAC on truck forums

Edited by MFDAC, August 04, 2013 - 05:45 PM.

• Jack said thank you

#24 SammyRye OFFLINE  

SammyRye

• Member No: 1558
  • 41 Thanks
  • 45 posts

Posted August 04, 2013 - 06:11 PM

Nice find! Actually, that looks like it's in very good condition. You definitely need to clean fins on the hydro! Is that the whole mower deck? That sure doesn't look like mine. I notice you have the 3-point arms and hitch - you'll like that.

Anyway, nice find!
Rich
  • Jack said thank you

#25 Jack ONLINE  

Jack
  • Member No: 9304
  • 1,127 Thanks
  • 771 posts

Posted August 04, 2013 - 06:33 PM

Looks like that MTD has a lot of potential! I have an older one that will be a project someday. I donno about finding bearings, I ran all over heck yesterday to find a spindle bearing for my old Murray that I had to drag out while the engine is out of my MF12. It is a 5/8 (.625)" shaft. Everywhere I went the bearing that was listed as a 5/8" measured .667! I don't know how the heck that is supposed to work with over .040" of slop!

BUT I see an awesome post war GMC! I have 4 GMC's and they are my main hobby! Can you tell us more about it and pics too?

Later---MFDAC, aka GMCDAC on truck forums

Nice tractor !     But...we wanna know more about that TRUCK ^        :love:   

• MFDAC said thank you

#26 mopargoob OFFLINE  

mopargoob
  • Contributor
  • 56 Thanks
  • 40 posts

Posted August 04, 2013 - 09:21 PM

ok, this is a PRE war GMC.  1941 model, never restored.  original engine, (rebuilt -several- times)  has never had the U joints replaced as far as I can remember (late 60s).  used by my dad for hauling grain from 1954 until he quit farming in 1989 or so.  was dad's first reliable truck, before that he had a model A 1 1/2 ton.  If I had a dime for every bushel of grain that was hauled, it would be in the 6 figure range.  dad put 80,000 miles on it 7 miles at a time.  odometer reads about 99000.

If anyone knows where I can find an extra rear axle for it,  I can make it worth yer while.  it is the Extra HD axle, split housing type, ususally made by Timken.  they were used in the 1 tons, and 1 1/2 tons (252's and 352's respectively) 

I need to reseal the housing, but unless I have a spare, I don't want to open it up and find out how bad it could be and then have a truck with no axle because I won't put it back together wrong or leaking.

It's gonna get a homemade bed made out of hard rock maple gym flooring out of an old school gym.

here I am going on ad-nauseum...... Thanks Everyone. :thumbs:

• MFDAC and Sawdust have said thanks

#27 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5815
  • 2,026 Thanks
  • 1,122 posts

Posted August 04, 2013 - 10:06 PM

ok, this is a PRE war GMC.  1941 model, never restored.  original engine, (rebuilt -several- times)  has never had the U joints replaced as far as I can remember (late 60s).  used by my dad for hauling grain from 1954 until he quit farming in 1989 or so.  was dad's first reliable truck, before that he had a model A 1 1/2 ton.  If I had a dime for every bushel of grain that was hauled, it would be in the 6 figure range.  dad put 80,000 miles on it 7 miles at a time.  odometer reads about 99000.

If anyone knows where I can find an extra rear axle for it,  I can make it worth yer while.  it is the Extra HD axle, split housing type, ususally made by Timken.  they were used in the 1 tons, and 1 1/2 tons (252's and 352's respectively) 
I need to reseal the housing, but unless I have a spare, I don't want to open it up and find out how bad it could be and then have a truck with no axle because I won't put it back together wrong or leaking.

It's gonna get a homemade bed made out of hard rock maple gym flooring out of an old school gym.

here I am going on ad-nauseum...... Thanks Everyone. :thumbs:

Thanks for correcting me and for that cool history on that GMC! Nothing better than long time family vehicles. I have no "big" GMC's but 2 are long time family members and ironically my oldest one, a 1955 2nd design half ton pickup has only been in the family about 4 years. An online friend had one that looked like yours and it was a '46. I can't remember when the AD design started, 48 I think?

If you haven't been to this site, there is a lot of knowledge and information strictly old GMC. They can be pretty helpful especially if you are doing stock restorations, but the newer the GMC gets the less they like you and if there is a Chevy engine in your GMC you are dammnear shunned. My '55 has a Chevy 230 in it-LOL!. Anyway all in all it's a good purist GMC site for 1959 and earlier enthusiasts. There is a pretty active parts wanted forum there, but problem is most all of the activity is eastern, but depending on where in Montana you are at, there's a lot of folks in the Pacific NW that may be able to help find the needed rear end too.

http://oldgmctrucks....eve?s=272004236

That was back in the day when Timken was doing precise work! I still can't figure out why after I went to 4 parts stores yesterday they all had the same Timken bearing that was called a 5/8" i.d. but measured about .667"! Oh well one of them mysteries I ain't smart enough to solve and it baffled all of the folks at the parts stores too!

Hope to see more pics of your 990 and the GMC!

Later---DAC

#28 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted August 11, 2013 - 01:33 PM

That is nice truck. I used to have big 54 Chev's and other sizes. I was on Stovebolt.com site for long time. They allow GMC too. Not sure what rear you are wanting, but sometimes odd stuff comes up. Might need to buy a whole truck to get just that rear.

On those decks. Lot diff than mine. Is that one for a three-point??  Haven't see one of those and don't know how it drives then?? Looks like you have quick dis-connect on those, but diff than mine. Your hanger on tractor looks the same, just not the deck. How could that trans get that plugged up??  Must be dusty area or diff dirts in west?  Ha! Pull the seat and tunnel trim off and you can see and access quite a bit and powerwash stuff and maybe lube and adjust items while apart.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mtd, 990, 1979, western auto