27 replies to this topic

#1 mopargoob OFFLINE  

mopargoob
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 14544
  • 56 Thanks
  • 40 posts

Posted June 10, 2013 - 10:36 PM

I have an opportunity to get a 1979 Western Auto MTD 990, along with a single stage snowblower, a pto driven tiller, and the pto driven mower deck (not sure of size).

I believe the mower deck will need new bearings and TLC, the tiller needs a snap ring in the angle drive box, the snowblower is in very nice condition.

the tractor needs tires, the paint is very faded but no rust yet, the hydraulic lift cylinder has stripped threads on the shaft, gas has turned to varnish in the fuel system, and the seat is trashed.

My question is:  what is the reasonable value of this equipment?    I don't believe it is anywhere near top dollar, but I was guessing at about 100 to 150 bucks per implement, and maybe 300 for the tractor itself.    Please let me know if I am way off and need an "adjustment"  :thumbs: 

sorry, I don't have any pics yet, but I will post some soon when I get a chance.

thankyou very much

Jon

• hamman and Dieselcubmike have said thanks

#2 Dieselcubmike OFFLINE  

Dieselcubmike
  • Member No: 11127
  • 1,327 Thanks
  • 1,511 posts

Posted June 10, 2013 - 11:46 PM

Hello jon and welcome! :wave: Sounds like you have quite a project on your hands and those 990 are very heavy duty. Pricing implements are sometimes hard because there's always that person thinking he can get top dollar when in reality you have something that needs a lot of attention. I would be careful with those 100$ prices especially since the mower deck needs some attention, and the tractor sounds like its seen better days as well so I would try to go a little lower on the price of the tractor itself. Hopefully someone else can help me with this.

• hamman said thank you

#3 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,169 Thanks
  • 5,761 posts

Posted June 11, 2013 - 12:26 AM

:welcometogttalk:

#4 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 36782
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted June 11, 2013 - 01:33 AM

Glad you joined :wave: Your about right, I see the tractors going for more, and the implements always seem to bring almost as much the tractors

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 11, 2013 - 05:38 AM

Welcome to GTTAlk! Nice sounding package. The 990's seem to be getting rarer these days. Can't comment on price as we pay more up here than most places.

#6 AverageJoe OFFLINE  

AverageJoe

• Contributor
  • Member No: 365
  • 104 Thanks
  • 142 posts

Posted June 11, 2013 - 06:54 AM

Welcome Jon,

Around here, 990s are not rare, but a Western Auto model is not too common.

I do own a decent single stage snowblower, which I gave $75 for, and had to fabricate several pieces to complete it.  It's not in perfect condition by any means, but I doubt I would take less than $200 for it now because it is a functioning snowblower. 

A running 990 with a deck, even needing a decent amount of work is worth $350-$400. 

The tiller is really the hard to find item, and again, if I had one that worked, I doubt I would let it go for less than $250.

#7 mopargoob OFFLINE  

mopargoob
  • Contributor
  • 56 Thanks
  • 40 posts

Posted June 11, 2013 - 07:01 AM

Thanks to everyone for the good input! :dancingbanana:

I am still in negotiations for the thing and if succsessful, will post pictures.

Thanks again.

Jon

#8 HALFSCALE OFFLINE  

HALFSCALE

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4343
  • 413 Thanks
  • 485 posts

Posted June 11, 2013 - 07:55 AM

Welcome Jon,

Around here, 990s are not rare, but a Western Auto model is not too common.

I do own a decent single stage snowblower, which I gave $75 for, and had to fabricate several pieces to complete it.  It's not in perfect condition by any means, but I doubt I would take less than $200 for it now because it is a functioning snowblower. 

A running 990 with a deck, even needing a decent amount of work is worth $350-$400. 

The tiller is really the hard to find item, and again, if I had one that worked, I doubt I would let it go for less than $250.

Drake , has it right. 

#9 1978murray OFFLINE  

1978murray

diesel mechanic

• Member No: 2523
  • 598 Thanks
  • 1,163 posts

Posted June 11, 2013 - 09:04 AM

:welcome:

#10 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted June 11, 2013 - 02:58 PM

Around here, I'd say going by your description, the whole package as is should be no more than $500, possibly less, possibly just a little bit more.  Pics will help a lot in determining worth.

#11 mopargoob OFFLINE  

mopargoob
  • Contributor
  • 56 Thanks
  • 40 posts

Posted June 11, 2013 - 10:45 PM

Update:  I talked to the guy again today, and we will be doing the deed for $400, plus I will give him an old 67 chrysler 440 engine block that has stuck pistons in it, a bunch of misc. connecting rods, and a known good crankshaft. (stuff i will never use again, as It costs way too much money to build and maintain a hot rod mopar car)

He came by and handed me a file folder full of all the original manuals that came with the equipment.  it may take a while, but I intend on scanning the ones I haven't seen here and uploading them.  There is a really neat accessory booklet that has pictures, part numbers, prices, and crossreferences of which ones will fit what tractors for what years.....

ok, nuff of this, I will try to get pics this weekend.  He says Its ok to go grab the stuff anytime, as he will be out of town and he trusts me.   Gotta give credit out there people:  there still are some really nice folks in the world.

ok, see ya later guys.

Jon

• olcowhand, Delmar and Sawdust have said thanks

#12 AverageJoe OFFLINE  

AverageJoe

• Contributor
  • Member No: 365
  • 104 Thanks
  • 142 posts

Posted June 11, 2013 - 10:57 PM

Sounds like a fair trade.  Congrats!

• mopargoob said thank you

#13 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted June 12, 2013 - 07:54 AM

Congratulations, the tiller is a real score.

(stuff i will never use again, as It costs way too much money to build and maintain a hot rod mopar car)

I hear you on that one.  I have a Barracuda to build and don't have the space or money.

In fact, that's part of why I got into GTs.  They're a relatively cheap mechanical hobby.

• mopargoob said thank you

#14 HALFSCALE OFFLINE  

HALFSCALE

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4343
  • 413 Thanks
  • 485 posts

Posted June 13, 2013 - 07:48 AM

TRUE THAT!

#15 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!