• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 dmorrill22 OFFLINE  

dmorrill22
  • Member No: 10411
  • 42 Thanks
  • 58 posts

Posted June 10, 2013 - 07:21 PM

Since I have begun mowing with this tractor this year, I have wanted to do something about the PTO lever for the mower deck.  I hate reaching down and flipping it forward or back to engage or disengage the mower deck.  It takes too much time and effort - and I'm FAR too lazy for that thThumbsUp.gif

I decided that a foot pedal would be the easiest mod and would still work well for me.  After looking briefly at the foot pedals that sears later offered for these tractors, I came up with the idea to make a pedal from a bolt.  I took a 3/4" bolt and ground the head off of it.  I then bored a 7/16" hole on one end to allow the pto lever to pass through it.  After the hole was bored, a smaller hole was bored parallel to the bolt for a set screw.  I tapped the hole for the set screw, and placed a length of 3/4" heater hose over the bolt.  I then put the bolt on the PTO lever.  The bolt worked well for a foot pedal, but the original PTO lever needed to be bent to be operated properly as a foot pedal.  It was first bent inward towards the dash, so the pedal would line up properly with the footrest.  I then bent the lever forward so I could get my foot under the pedal when the lever was all the way forward.

This setup works infinitely better as a foot pedal, and I can quickly disengage or engage the deck with minimal effort.  I definitely recommend it to others who want a foot pedal on their Sears tractor, and don't mind bending the PTO lever to make it work.

130606_009_zps2f83dfed.jpg

• Alc, hamman and TomLGT195 have said thanks

#2 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,586 posts

Posted June 10, 2013 - 07:53 PM

I need to make one simular to that fro our Sears Custom 10 XL. You have to bend down and lift the lever on the deck to engage and disengage. Looks good. Roger.

• dmorrill22 said thank you

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,320 Thanks
  • 28,640 posts

Posted June 10, 2013 - 09:35 PM

I've threatened to do something like this several times for the SS12 when snow blowing.

Thanks for the info.
  • dmorrill22 said thank you

#4 Gil Williams OFFLINE  

Gil Williams
  • Member No: 49760
  • 4 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted November 12, 2013 - 12:22 AM

the late 70s already have foot peddle sorta like that .it will bolt right on your mower if you have the newer style deck.the one that doesn't hook to the axle .its pretty cool you can probably find one on ebay.

#5 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,320 Thanks
  • 28,640 posts

Posted November 12, 2013 - 01:02 AM

the late 70s already have foot peddle sorta like that .it will bolt right on your mower if you have the newer style deck.the one that doesn't hook to the axle .its pretty cool you can probably find one on ebay.

The style you are talking about I think is the one on this tractor.
http://gardentractor...le/#entry312550
You can see it in the second picture and a couple times in the video attached to the first post.