Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Considering Buying An Ariens Gt 19, Need Help!

ariens gt19 help kohler

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#16 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 36782
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted June 14, 2013 - 04:58 PM

I would agree with the 16hp single except for use with the snow blower. Heavy snow can and does require a lot of horse power. If it was me I would go for as many horses as you can get under the hood. I'm now in the process of doing this to a small Kubota diesel tractor because the 48" blower bogs it down. I have a Simplicity 7117 with an 18hp magnum (replacement engine)  pulling a 42" blower and at times it is all it can do. 

Hope it works out for you.

I think Chris is right, and for more than just the horsepower, with a single the driveshaft may have to be lengthen or customized among other things, the frame on the twins is already cut for a twin and I doubt they changed much on the wiring other than the connector. The Magnum has electronic ignition like the Briggs, so I don't think its going to be a issue. Is the Briggs that's on there a Vanguard? I've never heard of a 19hp Briggs horizontal, but I don't deal with many Briggs engines either. Just get measurements the M18 engine. As someone else mentioned check with the repower sites, but if they spec a Vtwin, expect to pay alot more than a M18 and have to do fabrication to raise the base. Some engines come with the kit for additional $$$

#17 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted June 14, 2013 - 05:05 PM

Wow! Thanks for all the advice guys! One quick question though, seeing as how the tractor has been retrofit with a 19HP Briggs, is it likely that the electrical/ignition/pto/etc would have been rewired to suit? The reason i ask is that if I were to get a Kohler Magnum M18 and it's a drop in replacement, I'm guessing that I'd have to right the wiring again?

I've posted a couple of ads to some engines I found on ebay.... is this essentially what I'm looking for?

http://www.ebay.com/...n-/140994278766

http://www.ebay.com/...E-/190853836147

Let me know! Thanks again guys!

The first engine should work with your clutch and drive shaft mount, the second engine has to short of shaft, and they don't stretch very well, I'd wait a bit, something will come around better soon. First measure the length of the shaft on the 19, so you know what you need I think 2-5/8" long for the double pulley electric PTO clutch, your clutch should fir on any of these engines excpt the M20, most of those have a 1-1/4" diameter shaft if they have the right length, your shaft diameter is 1-1/8"

#18 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,478 Thanks
  • 5,010 posts

Posted June 14, 2013 - 07:52 PM

It's too bad the 20hp magnum wouldn't fit as I have one that runs very nicely with 400 hours use. $500.00 would get you this motor. Took it out to convert the tractor to diesel.

I think It can safely be said that Ariens makes one of the best snow blowers out there. A friend of mine put one on a JD 318 and it will throw snow from here to Monday. 

#19 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted June 14, 2013 - 08:21 PM

I agree, I have a 48 inch two stage Ariens snow thrower that if we don't get snow next year I'm driving it North to try it out, it was only used twice, it needs a workout

DSCF3202.JPG

#20 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,478 Thanks
  • 5,010 posts

Posted June 14, 2013 - 09:29 PM

You have some great looking tractors. Any New Holland tractors? I was kind of partial to the colors they used on them.

• OkieGt said thank you

#21 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted June 14, 2013 - 10:30 PM

You have some great looking tractors. Any New Holland tractors? I was kind of partial to the colors they used on them.

No I don't, these two were built one month apart, both are GT14H models, the one with a blade I move a whole dump truck load of dirt 30 feet in 20 minutes using the 54" blade, the tires never spun, I was using 50lb Sperry/New Holland wheel weights with 25x8-12 ITP589s. I've had a GT16, GT18, and a GT20 the GT14's dont lack any power whatsoever

.DSCF3203.JPG

• Cvans said thank you

#22 AriensGT19 Guys OFFLINE  

AriensGT19 Guys
  • Member No: 37984
  • 1 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted June 18, 2013 - 07:33 AM

I agree, I have a 48 inch two stage Ariens snow thrower that if we don't get snow next year I'm driving it North to try it out, it was only used twice, it needs a workout

attachicon.gifDSCF3202.JPG

LOL, bring it my place in Thunder Bay, Canada! It will get a workout for sure! It's actually the main reason I'm looking at this tractor. I had to pay my neighbour to do my driveway last winter with his big old Massey.

#23 IaAriensguy OFFLINE  

IaAriensguy
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 39064
  • 0 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted December 28, 2013 - 11:53 AM

If i went to a local dealer, would they be able to order a replacement engine for something like this? if so, how much should i expect to pay?

I agree do not go to a local dealer.  There is an online outlet that sells new engines - smallenginewarehouse.com.  I looked at that when I was debating an overhaul or replacement for my Koehler 17 hp.  They have some decent prices.

Hope that helps.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ariens, gt19, help, kohler