Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Considering Buying An Ariens Gt 19, Need Help!

ariens gt19 help kohler

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 AriensGT19 Guys OFFLINE  

AriensGT19 Guys
  • Member No: 37984
  • 1 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted June 10, 2013 - 12:16 PM

Hey Guys!

New to GT Talk  but I was reading some great stuff on here about Ariens garden tractors. I am considering buying a mid 1990’s (seller is unsure of the year) Ariens GT19. The tractor comes with a 60” underbelly deck, 48” two stage snowblower (a must have for us Canadians, lol), cab, chains, weight box and a 19HP Briggs engine (yes, Briggs). So after doing a bit of research, I find that it is, of course, not the original Kohler engine. The guy is selling it because the engine’s governor failed, it over-revved and now the engine has a knock in it (im guessing bent push rod, but who knows). My question here is what was the original engine that would have been installed (HP, model#)? I’d be looking to replace the engine with the original (or suitable replacement). Also, how much would you guys pay given what I’ve told you? The Mower appears to be in decent shape. Here’s a link to the ad on the tractor I’d be looking at purchasing:

http://thunderbay.ki...QAdIdZ491608331

Any helps is appreciated. If you guys need more info, let me know!

Thanks All!

• Dieselcubmike said thank you

#2 101 senior ONLINE  

101 senior

• Member No: 1393
  • 180 Thanks
  • 328 posts

Posted June 10, 2013 - 12:43 PM

I'm probably wrong, but I think some of the older Ariens that size may have had a k-series overhead valve engine. BUT I'm probably wrong.

• AriensGT19 Guys said thank you

#3 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted June 10, 2013 - 01:27 PM

The GT 19 had Originally a Model: Kohler KT19 49202 on it. I would think you should be able to buy this for $500.00 to $800.00 with a bad motor in it. Basically you are buying all the attachments and a rolling chassis.

Cab...              $250.00 to $350.00

Mower Deck..  $100.00 to $200.00 Depending on how good the deck and gear box is.

SnowBlower... $100.00 to $200.00 Unless it's a 2 stage then a little more.

Rolling Chassis.......$100.00

This is about where I would think you should be at, But I'm not buying it, you are. Good Luck

BTW, I would look hard at the Piston Rode for Rod Stretch from over RPM's

EDIT- With the Cab still new in the box,  you might need to add a couple hundred more in the deal.

• shorty, Dieselcubmike and AriensGT19 Guys have said thanks

#4 AriensGT19 Guys OFFLINE  

AriensGT19 Guys
  • 1 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted June 10, 2013 - 02:02 PM

If i went to a local dealer, would they be able to order a replacement engine for something like this? if so, how much should i expect to pay?

#5 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted June 10, 2013 - 04:37 PM

I would do a search on the Internet for someone who has a direct replacement engine for the GT19. I wouldn't go to a local dealer as they are more likely to buy for the same out fits you will and add a mark up to it.

#6 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 36782
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted June 10, 2013 - 04:49 PM

I would be real hesitant to use the KT19 engine, it had the same design flaw as the KT17 and the series 2 didn't complete fix that flaw,as they warrantied many series 2 engines. I believe the real issue was that these engines needed to be run at three-quarter to full throttle in order to get enough oil to the connecting rods. A kohler Magnum18 is a drop in replacement and uses electronic ignition has a oil filter and pump and after the KT17/KT19 debacle it may have been the toughest twin engine made. BTW, the Magnum 20 wont fit, it's a longer engine than the 18, I learned the hard way. Even a 18-24 Briggs Vanguard or Kohler command would be okay, but your going to pay alot more for those engine. I dont think they are as tough and there will be fabrication on base mount and PTO clutch. Another problem with the KT engines is I believe Kohler has stopped building rebuild parts for them, unlike the K series or magnum series. This is my opinion and if anyone knows of inaccuracies in any of my statements please let me know. If I were you I would ebay the 60" deck and buy a nice 48" and with the left over money invest in a 16hp single cylinder K341 engine, and save yourself lots of money. I have two GT14 and one I use to move dump truck loads of dirt with a 54 inch blade.. Good Luck

• shorty and AriensGT19 Guys have said thanks

#7 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,565 Thanks
  • 3,947 posts

Posted June 10, 2013 - 05:05 PM

:welcometogttalk:

I agree with the engine choices Okie has listed. Locally here a used deck would probly be around $300 and a blower at least that much.

About 6 weeks ago I saw one listed on CL for $3000 with weight box, single stage blower, no cab. 

#8 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,169 Thanks
  • 5,761 posts

Posted June 10, 2013 - 07:01 PM

:welcometogttalk:

#9 Dieselcubmike OFFLINE  

Dieselcubmike
  • Member No: 11127
  • 1,327 Thanks
  • 1,511 posts

Posted June 10, 2013 - 08:10 PM

Hello there and welcome! :wave:

#10 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,752 Thanks
  • 8,921 posts

Posted June 10, 2013 - 09:27 PM

If you have a second (or know where to get one free) KT19, it would be worth tearing it apart and checking it out. If you have to spend a dime, look for an M18.

The two stage blowers on those work very well and are built extremely tough.

#11 Gatecat OFFLINE  

Gatecat

• Member No: 633
  • 9 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted June 11, 2013 - 11:00 AM

All the engine talk aside, based on the hood this tractor has it is at least a 1980's era tractor.  If you send the serial number to Ariens in an email, they will tell you the manufacture date.  Make sure it has power steering as well.  Only the 18, 19 and 20 hp were outfitted with power steering.  The attachments have some real resale value so be sure to check on their condition.  Rust outs, etc.  Don't assume you can inexpensively replace the engine.  They are not cheap.  A rebuilt GT20 which you could put in this tractor is available on Ebay for I think 1300 but you have to have a core to send in.  They may do other HP's but I am focused on the 20 hp as I have 3 20 hp Ariens and one 17hp Ariens.

• twostep and AriensGT19 Guys have said thanks

#12 Gatecat OFFLINE  

Gatecat

• Member No: 633
  • 9 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted June 11, 2013 - 12:10 PM

The GT 19 had Originally a Model: Kohler KT19 49202 on it. I would think you should be able to buy this for $500.00 to $800.00 with a bad motor in it. Basically you are buying all the attachments and a rolling chassis.

Cab...              $250.00 to $350.00

Mower Deck..  $100.00 to $200.00 Depending on how good the deck and gear box is.

SnowBlower... $100.00 to $200.00 Unless it's a 2 stage then a little more.

Rolling Chassis.......$100.00

This is about where I would think you should be at, But I'm not buying it, you are. Good Luck

BTW, I would look hard at the Piston Rode for Rod Stretch from over RPM's

EDIT- With the Cab still new in the box,  you might need to add a couple hundred more in the deal.

Original Tractor Cab no longer makes these cabs or has parts for the Ariens so this is something of a find if you have one new in a box.  I watched a runaway auction on Ebay two years ago where Joe's Outdoor Power sold one of these for over $800 used.  May be unique because I have seen a lot go for in the 200-400 range.  I have two cabs, one soft and one with a windshield.  To a knowledgeable buyer and a perhaps not so knowledgeable ebayer, that cab, if brand new, is worth some bucks.

#13 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 36782
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted June 11, 2013 - 04:19 PM

All the engine talk aside, based on the hood this tractor has it is at least a 1980's era tractor.  If you send the serial number to Ariens in an email, they will tell you the manufacture date.  Make sure it has power steering as well.  Only the 18, 19 and 20 hp were outfitted with power steering.  The attachments have some real resale value so be sure to check on their condition.  Rust outs, etc.  Don't assume you can inexpensively replace the engine.  They are not cheap.  A rebuilt GT20 which you could put in this tractor is available on Ebay for I think 1300 but you have to have a core to send in.  They may do other HP's but I am focused on the 20 hp as I have 3 20 hp Ariens and one 17hp Ariens.

I have the date codes as well, and you may not be able to use the 20 hp Kohler magnum in the GT19, the GT20 frame like the newer Case tractors was lengthened. If the GT19 engine is the same size as the GT17 engine, probably not, but I do believe the magnum 18 is the same size. Trust me when I say this I tried EVERY way possible to fit a 20hp Kohler magnum into a GT17 and the ONLY way that was going to happen was to cut and lengthen the frame, hood, steering parts.

• Gatecat and AriensGT19 Guys have said thanks

#14 AriensGT19 Guys OFFLINE  

AriensGT19 Guys
  • 1 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted June 14, 2013 - 01:13 PM

Wow! Thanks for all the advice guys! One quick question though, seeing as how the tractor has been retrofit with a 19HP Briggs, is it likely that the electrical/ignition/pto/etc would have been rewired to suit? The reason i ask is that if I were to get a Kohler Magnum M18 and it's a drop in replacement, I'm guessing that I'd have to right the wiring again?

I've posted a couple of ads to some engines I found on ebay.... is this essentially what I'm looking for?

http://www.ebay.com/...n-/140994278766

http://www.ebay.com/...E-/190853836147

Let me know! Thanks again guys!

#15 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,513 Thanks
  • 5,031 posts

Posted June 14, 2013 - 02:57 PM

I would agree with the 16hp single except for use with the snow blower. Heavy snow can and does require a lot of horse power. If it was me I would go for as many horses as you can get under the hood. I'm now in the process of doing this to a small Kubota diesel tractor because the 48" blower bogs it down. I have a Simplicity 7117 with an 18hp magnum (replacement engine)  pulling a 42" blower and at times it is all it can do. 

Hope it works out for you.

• OkieGt said thank you

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ariens, gt19, help, kohler