TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted June 10, 2013 - 10:05 AM

I'm a Sears guy, I don't know nuttin' about no stinkin Wheelhorses :D

...but in accordance with my GT addiction, I couldn't pass this one up, it was possibly headed to the scrap yard. Guy got it years ago on trade for some work he did for someone, sat in barn for last 6-7 years. He said it ran way back then, but smoked a bit and he tried to jump start recently, but he said now it will not turn over. I know the basics are all the same, but this is my first encounter with WH or Kohlers. I have a buddy who uses mainly Kohlers for his pulling tractors so I may have to make him help  :thumbs:  :D

So, for $75 I purchased a 1975 Wheelhorse B-80 with a snow blade/mount and original owners manuals. Supposedly all original and will run, but smokes. Can't beat it though, tractor in very good shape and the guy brought 2 hrs from indy to a buddy's house since he was coming for a grad party yesterday. I just gotta run over there and pick it up. Not sure plans as of right now, definitely get it running and see where I am, maybe keep and restore someday or maybe sell for a little profit. Too bad the deck was all rust, have to keep my eye out for one.

photobucket-50961-1370866043137_zps4a385

photobucket-60336-1370866022671_zpsb0fe1

• boyscout862, Dieselcubmike, JRJ and 1 other said thanks

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,572 Thanks
  • 29,821 posts

Posted June 10, 2013 - 10:08 AM

Wow!  For $75 I'd buy tractors like that all day long!  She's in great  condition!

• hamman and GlenPettit have said thanks

#3 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,731 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted June 10, 2013 - 10:19 AM

I would have bought it too.

• hamman said thank you

#4 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted June 10, 2013 - 10:25 AM

Q: What am I supposed to to with this?

A: Sell it to me for $100, profit $25 and never heave have to see it or touch it. :smilewink:

#5 daytime dave ONLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted June 10, 2013 - 10:53 AM

That looks pretty nice.  I think you made a good deal.  I hope you get it running in short order.

• hamman said thank you

#6 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,597 Thanks
  • 7,654 posts

Posted June 10, 2013 - 11:00 AM

You just made the best deal of your life and you don't even know it do you??? Somebody, tell him for me. As for the deck, you live in the best state there is for finding WH parts. I have a deck or two for you, if you weren't so far away.

Edited by LilysDad, June 10, 2013 - 11:03 AM.

• hamman said thank you

#7 GlenPettit OFFLINE  

GlenPettit
  • Member No: 34353
  • 520 Thanks
  • 143 posts

Posted June 10, 2013 - 11:13 AM

The PTO lever is engaged in the pictures (right side, must be straight up to start = safety), plus clutch must also be held down.

Looks very complete and well taken care of, very nice find and worth many times what you paid.

Also: there's a big Wheel Horse "meet & greet", Saturday, October 5th, just North of Warsaw, in Leesburg, Indiana (next to the big elevator).  Was well over 200 collectors and 100 Wheel Horses on display last year, and it's all free (Games, Venders, Parts & Tractors also for sale, just Wheel Horses). 

Edited by GlenPettit, June 10, 2013 - 11:15 AM.

• MH81 and hamman have said thanks

#8 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,750 Thanks
  • 7,521 posts

Posted June 10, 2013 - 11:31 AM

Congrats on a great find and deal. The kohlers are great engines. It probably just needs thorough maintenance to get running. With it running right, add Marvel Mystery Oil to the gas. The smoking will probably stop after a couple of months of MMO. Good Luck, Rick

You can download the engine manuals in our Manuals section. Change the oil in the transaxle too.

• hamman said thank you

#9 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted June 10, 2013 - 11:38 AM

Q: What am I supposed to to with this?

A: Sell it to me for $100, profit $25 and never heave have to see it or touch it. :smilewink:

Want me to deliver it too?  :D   I think I will hold on to it for a bit more, but thanks for the offer :thumbs:

You just made the best deal of your life and you don't even know it do you??? Somebody, tell him for me. As for the deck, you live in the best state there is for finding WH parts. I have a deck or two for you, if you weren't so far away.

Well, thought I did pretty good on my running massey 1855 with 3pt and 5 ft rear back blade, 54" deck or my free Sears SS12. :thumbs:  

Have to keep eyes out for a deck, still has mule drive mounted on the front.

The PTO lever is engaged in the pictures (right side, must be straight up to start = safety), plus clutch must also be held down.

Looks very complete and well taken care of, very nice find and worth many times what you paid.

Also: there's a big Wheel Horse "meet & greet", Saturday, October 5th, just North of Warsaw, in Leesburg, Indiana (next to the big elevator).  Was well over 200 collectors and 100 Wheel Horses on display last year, and it's all free (Games, Venders, Parts & Tractors also for sale, just Wheel Horses). 

Man, could it be as easy as the PTO lever safety? Makes me wanna run up and pick it up tonight :smilewink:

Leesburg is a big of a drive, but I did see onthe map, they have a "kohler Ditch"  water way.

• twostep said thank you

#10 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted June 10, 2013 - 11:40 AM

Congrats on a great find and deal. The kohlers are great engines. It probably just needs thorough maintenance to get running. With it running right, add Marvel Mystery Oil to the gas. The smoking will probably stop after a couple of months of MMO. Good Luck, Rick

You can download the engine manuals in our Manuals section. Change the oil in the transaxle too.

I was thinking it may just need to be ran for a bit to help clear up smoke. I was going to add MMO to the cyl and let it sit for a bit then turning it over by hand a few times before spinning with starter.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#11 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,597 Thanks
  • 7,654 posts

Posted June 10, 2013 - 12:34 PM

At the very worst, it may need rings or valves. Let us know how it goes. Man! That is in pretty good shape. And I believe it is a 1974; in '75 they put an 8spd trans in it.

#12 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted June 10, 2013 - 01:29 PM

At the very worst, it may need rings or valves. Let us know how it goes. Man! That is in pretty good shape. And I believe it is a 1974; in '75 they put an 8spd trans in it.

Owner told me it was a 75. I'll have to get it home and let you all run the numbers for me :smilewink: It is a 4 spd

#13 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,597 Thanks
  • 7,654 posts

Posted June 10, 2013 - 03:06 PM

Oops! I was one year off. '75 is the last 4 spd.

https://homeownersol...ductDetailsPage

#14 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,237 Thanks
  • 28,598 posts

Posted June 10, 2013 - 04:36 PM

Nice ride for $75

KK's 8 smokes like its old enough when it starts, but quits pretty quick.

If you find it smokes, try a complete flush of the fuel and put in fresh. Hers smokes a lot worse on month old gas than fresh.

#15 robert_p43 OFFLINE  

robert_p43
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11040
  • 572 Thanks
  • 534 posts

Posted June 10, 2013 - 05:15 PM

It looks good to me. I like my Sears tractor too but wouldn't mind a Power King, or Wheel Horse, ot Bolens, or JD......

• Delmar said thank you