• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • Member No: 8613
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 2,434 posts

Posted June 10, 2013 - 08:31 AM

So i discovered i have came up with a slight problem... I need a utility trailer to haul the GT 275 around/ scrap metal/ fire wood etc.Yet i also want to keep the pop up together and use it as a camper but the canvas is quite holey not sure if i should patch the canvas or say for get about it and make a utility trailer out of it. This is just one of my many problems as of late. Fighting with mother nature and all this rain is the other issue i start one project on the house then cant finish due to rain.

• hamman, boyscout862 and oldedeeres have said thanks

#2 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,630 Thanks
  • 2,586 posts

Posted June 10, 2013 - 08:46 AM

There are canvas repair places that sell patches for the campers. I would save it for camping if it is viable. New or even new to you used ones are very expensive. Keep looking at craigs list etc for a trailer. Go to a boat place they usually have owner used boat railers that are for sale. They, with a little work make great utility trailers. Good luck.

• backwoods, boyscout862 and oldedeeres have said thanks

#3 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 2,434 posts

Posted June 10, 2013 - 09:02 AM

thanks the other issue that i forgot to mention is that the floor is gonna need to be replaced at some point its spongey in spots. i only have a total of $150 in the camper $50 cash and traded a couple things ive had it since late april early may and its lived in my garage since. the cheapest quote ive got so far for canvas was $1500 boat trailer dont sell any less the 500 in my area usally if they do they come with a junk boat too

• hamman said thank you

#4 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted June 10, 2013 - 02:18 PM

I guess there are two ways of looking at it.  I did just as you are considering and converted my pop-up into a utility trailer when the canvas rotted out and it made a good one. But if your still into camping it can cost way more to replace  than the cost of new canvas.  But the floor could be an issue, mine had the floor(plywood) on the frame and everything was built on top of the floor. So you would likely have to strip it to the frame to replace the floor?   If that is the case, the decision may be made for you?

I have had this trailer for almost 30 yrs and other than replacing the tires last year it has cost me little ( with the exception of new lights every time my son borrows it?)

Mine is due for a rebuild, the original floor is now rotting out. I used the wheel housings and built around it.

Inside the houseings is less than 48" so I can't haul my Gt's on it.

I'm going to have to tear the floor out down to the frame,(remove the fenders, put 4X4's on the frame to clear the tires and put a new floor on it.

Edited by JD DANNELS, June 10, 2013 - 02:27 PM.

• backwoods said thank you

#5 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 2,434 posts

Posted June 10, 2013 - 03:25 PM

everything is built on top of the floor bad design i havent even used it for camping yet due to the canvas being shot so im thinking it might be best to convert it into a trailer yet the interior is still in good shape for being and '85 . it would be much easier to haul gt's with a trailer then fighting with squeezing them into the bed of a small truck

• hamman said thank you

#6 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,630 Thanks
  • 2,586 posts

Posted June 10, 2013 - 04:49 PM

A friend of mine had a popup like that. The floor was weak and he was fretting taking everything up and replacing it. An old timer at a RV place told him just place new plywood on the area you walk on. You don't need to worry about the rest you don't walk on it. If the floor under the water tank is punky just pull the tank up nad repalce that section of floor down to the frame. Hearing this he went out and bought enough 3/4 plywood to do exactly that. He took up the parts that hold the tbe down on the floor and all molding. Next he fiteed and cut the new plywood to fit perfecly. He then took each piece out and surfaced sanded it smooth. He was going to paint it but decided to buy the indoor outdoor carpeting and glue it to the plywood. After replacing it and putting the carpet down he put the molding back on and used it for many a year for his family until they could afford a newer trailer. JM2CW. Roger. 

• backwoods said thank you

#7 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 2,434 posts

Posted June 10, 2013 - 04:53 PM

thats not a bad idea either thanks

#8 poncho62 ONLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 634 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted June 10, 2013 - 06:26 PM

Being a popup owner myself.....and a self confessed forum junky....here are a couple of popup forums I belong to...might help with yours

http://www.popupportal.com/index.php

http://www.popupexpl...forum/index.php

Edited by poncho62, June 10, 2013 - 06:26 PM.

#9 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 2,434 posts

Posted June 10, 2013 - 06:45 PM

im on pop up portal but i think mine is beyond repair to be cost effective to me so unfortunetly i already started taking it apart hopefully finish tomorrow

• hamman said thank you

#10 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 2,434 posts

Posted June 14, 2013 - 09:11 AM

its now a utility trailer ill just buy a bigger camper in a yr or 2

#11 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • Member No: 10410
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted June 14, 2013 - 10:56 AM

its now a utility trailer ill just buy a bigger camper in a yr or 2

Lets see.... your getting married soon.. so in ten months there will be a little BW running around.. maybe three or four all at once.. you might need a bigger trailer sooner then you think....  :poke:  :smilewink:  :smilewink:

#12 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 2,434 posts

Posted June 15, 2013 - 09:02 AM

one of me is enough for right now lol when i buy the next camper i plan on it being atleast a 36ft

#13 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • Member No: 10410
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted June 15, 2013 - 09:06 AM

one of me is enough for right now lol when i buy the next camper i plan on it being atleast a 36ft

One of you is enough for ever....... Naa wait.. your a good dude.. If JS5020 can procreate then you should be able to.. 

36 foot trailer.. thats a huge rv man...

#14 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 2,434 posts

Posted June 15, 2013 - 09:10 AM

for a tow behind it might work lol inless i find a 30ft real cheap