• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted July 16, 2013 - 06:31 AM

I never did update this. I got one off ebay for $12 shipped. Works great and the Kohler tops out at 3,500 rpm which is plenty for what i use the tractor for. It was nice being able to finally reliably check the rpms.

• MH81, IamSherwood, Utah Smitty and 1 other said thanks

#17 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted July 16, 2013 - 06:33 AM

I use a wireless unit that you simply point at the spark plug wire.  It is an Echo PET 304.  I service a lot of trimmers and chainsaws and most tachs won't indicate over 9,000 RPM, but this one does.  Not an issue with a GT, but the point is that it does everything I need it to and it is about the size of a box of Tic Tacs. 

Here is a link that shows all the options from Echo. http://www.yamabiko-...global/?cat=269

Jeff

Jeff,

How much are they selling that one for? I like the idea of being able to test chainsaws and weed trimmers. I wouldn't want to run a chainsaw without the bar and chain at full speed so you can get the reflective tape on the output shaft.

#18 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted July 16, 2013 - 06:41 AM

I never did update this. I got one off ebay for $12 shipped. Works great and the Kohler tops out at 3,500 rpm which is plenty for what i use the tractor for. It was nice being able to finally reliably check the rpms.

They're great aren't they George.

I got one of those last fall.

Shipping cost more than the tach. :(

Sure is nice to get good readings.

#19 ol' stonebreaker ONLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,313 Thanks
  • 982 posts

Posted July 16, 2013 - 07:32 AM

When I first got my HF phototach I checked it against a 1750 RPM elec motor and it was dead on.

Mike

#20 Watchdog OFFLINE  

Watchdog
  • Member No: 17146
  • 132 Thanks
  • 113 posts

Posted July 18, 2013 - 05:36 PM

Jeff,

How much are they selling that one for? I like the idea of being able to test chainsaws and weed trimmers. I wouldn't want to run a chainsaw without the bar and chain at full speed so you can get the reflective tape on the output shaft.

Here in Canada, they come on sale for about $60, but you lucky people in the U.S. get the same item much cheaper.  I'll look up the part number tomorrow and you should be able to order from your local Echo dealer.  This little unit also come with a lead, in case you need a third hand.  If your local dealer grumbles about  getting you one, I'll get you one.

Jeff

• MH81 said thank you