17 replies to this topic

#16 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted June 09, 2013 - 07:02 AM

What impresses me is the heroism of the guys who flew these planes.  Look at the cockpit: there is no electrical automatic anything.  Its 1000 levers, 100 gauges, and your training. 

Now fly over a Japanese island being straffed by more steel than you care to know about, carring a couple tons of high explosives in your tail, and knowing that if you go down you're done. 

Those guys were the greatest.

Ben W.

#17 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted June 09, 2013 - 07:20 AM

This plane didn't have a pressurized cabin, and notice no doors on waist gunner positions. At 20,000 the temp can hit -60.

#18 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,698 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted June 09, 2013 - 07:37 AM

What impresses me is the heroism of the guys who flew these planes.  Look at the cockpit: there is no electrical automatic anything.  Its 1000 levers, 100 gauges, and your training. 

Now fly over a Japanese island being straffed by more steel than you care to know about, carring a couple tons of high explosives in your tail, and knowing that if you go down you're done. 

Those guys were the greatest.

Ben W.

My Dad was a pilot in the Air Force in the late 50's and flew a cargo plane, a C-47 I think.  He told me once that part of the final test for a pilot was to be blindfolded and still be able to reach the correct switches.  They are awesome machines.

• superaben said thank you