• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 JRJ OFFLINE  

JRJ
  • Member No: 16399
  • 876 Thanks
  • 1,170 posts

Posted June 08, 2013 - 02:06 PM

By the sound of the title you are probably thinking, what is new or what don't I know. Well I came across the attached article titled 'Tips for pumping gas', which is rather lengthy but very informative.

TIPS ON PUMPING GAS
I don't know what you guys are paying for gasoline.... but here in California we are paying up to $3.75 to $4.10 per gallon. My line of work is in petroleum for about 31 years now, so here are some tricks to get more of your money's worth for every gallon:
Here at the Kinder Morgan Pipeline where I work in San Jose , CA we deliver about 4 million gallons in a 24-hour period thru the pipeline.. One day is diesel the next day is jet fuel, and gasoline, regular and premium grades. We have 34-storage tanks here with a total capacity of 16,800,000 gallons.
Only buy or fill up your car or truck in the early morning when the ground temperature is still cold. Remember that all service stations have their storage tanks buried below ground. The colder the ground the more dense the gasoline, when it gets warmer gasoline expands, so buying in the afternoon or in the evening....your gallon is not exactly a gallon. In the petroleum business, the specific gravity and the temperature of the gasoline, diesel and jet fuel, ethanol and other petroleum products plays an important role.
A 1-degree rise in temperature is a big deal for this business. But the service stations do not have temperature compensation at the pumps.
When you're filling up do not squeeze the trigger of the nozzle to a fast mode If you look you will see that the trigger has three (3) stages: low, middle, and high. You should be pumping on low mode, thereby minimizing the vapors that are created while you are pumping. All hoses at the pump have a vapor return. If you are pumping on the fast rate, some of the liquid that goes to your tank becomes vapor. Those vapors are being sucked up and back into the underground storage tank so you're getting less worth for your money.
One of the most important tips is to fill up when your gas tank is HALF FULL. The reason for this is the more gas you have in your tank the less air occupying its empty space. Gasoline evaporates faster than you can imagine. Gasoline storage tanks have an internal floating roof. This roof serves as zero clearance between the gas and the atmosphere, so it minimizes the evaporation. Unlike service stations, here where I work, every truck that we load is temperature compensated so that every gallon is actually the exact amount.
Another reminder, if there is a gasoline truck pumping into the storage tanks when you stop to buy gas, DO NOT fill up; most likely the gasoline is being stirred up as the gas is being delivered, and you might pick up some of the dirt that normally settles on the bottom.
To have an impact, we need to reach literally millions of gas buyers. It's really simple to do.
I'm sending this note to about thirty people. If each of you send it to at least ten more (30 x 10 = 300)...and those 300 send it to at least ten more (300 x 10 = 3,000) and so on, by the time the message reaches the sixth generation of people, we will have reached over THREE MILLION consumers !!!!!!! If those three million get excited and pass this on to ten friends each, then 30 million people will have been contacted!
If It goes one level further, you guessed it..... THREE HUNDRED MILLION PEOPLE!!!
Again, all you have to do is send this to 10 people. How long would it take?

• MH81, Alc, Texas Deere and Horse and 1 other said thanks

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 08, 2013 - 02:26 PM

Interesting and makes sense to me although I don't know how significant the differences would be. Thanks for posting.

#3 CADplans OFFLINE  

CADplans
  • Member No: 35311
  • 219 Thanks
  • 213 posts

Posted June 08, 2013 - 02:47 PM

I spent TOO many hours in class studying thermodynamics, (actually Physical Chemistry)

Other than the delivery truck stirring up water, the rest is basically "Old Wife's Tales"!

The ground does not change temperature by the hour, heck, the temp hardly changes by the month, especially in CA.!!

Air in your gas tank?? Nope, sealed system for what 30-40 years, NO air exchange, it is usually pressurized. Your car can set for years at 1/4 tank with no moisture getting in the tank, and no vapors going out.

Vapor recovery, I have only seen that in CA, not in VA., so I can not be positive about it, except I know, I am too impatient to wait for anything except full speed delivery, UNLESS there is a pair of HOT PANTS filling up that other car, then I am on S L O W !!

:dancingbanana:

• Texas Deere and Horse and Rock farmer have said thanks

#4 Fabman OFFLINE  

Fabman

• Member No: 3229
  • 257 Thanks
  • 374 posts

Posted June 08, 2013 - 06:43 PM

I spent TOO many hours in class studying thermodynamics, (actually Physical Chemistry)

Other than the delivery truck stirring up water, the rest is basically "Old Wife's Tales"!

The ground does not change temperature by the hour, heck, the temp hardly changes by the month, especially in CA.!!

Air in your gas tank?? Nope, sealed system for what 30-40 years, NO air exchange, it is usually pressurized. Your car can set for years at 1/4 tank with no moisture getting in the tank, and no vapors going out.

Vapor recovery, I have only seen that in CA, not in VA., so I can not be positive about it, except I know, I am too impatient to wait for anything except full speed delivery, UNLESS there is a pair of HOT PANTS filling up that other car, then I am on S L O W !!

:dancingbanana:

:ditto: I'm like you. :D

#5 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted June 08, 2013 - 08:21 PM

Just another urban myth :beer:

#6 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,592 Thanks
  • 7,652 posts

Posted June 08, 2013 - 08:51 PM

http://www.snopes.co...old/gastips.asp

#7 CADplans OFFLINE  

CADplans
  • Member No: 35311
  • 219 Thanks
  • 213 posts

Posted June 08, 2013 - 08:58 PM

That is too much  :bs:  for me to read!!  

I always wondered how to "use" that smilie!!  :bounce:

#8 HydroHarold OFFLINE  

HydroHarold
  • Member No: 9622
  • 702 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted June 08, 2013 - 11:08 PM

Here's a tip that ain't bogus:  If you're buying say a gallon or so of Hi Test for your 2 stroke mix from a multi grade pump...  Push the Hi Test selector and put about a gallon into your car or regular tank.  The customer ahead of you might have filled up with low octane and the entire hose from the selector valve to the nozzle is filled with regular no matter what button you pushed.  You might be getting 3/4's of the octane you really want.

Or.... The gas station might have the same grade in all his tanks.  Hey, today you never know what they are doing anyway... so it's always a crap shoot at the pump.